It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney slams North Korean leader

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Vice President Richard Cheney launched a personal attack on North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, calling him an irresponsible leader who "doesn't take care" of his people as he strives for nuclear power status for his country.

let him have it Cheney

news.yahoo.com.../afp/20050529/pl_afp/usnkoreacheney_050529234835

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yeah let him have it! At least someone is finally speaking the truth about this horrible man.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Wow, the hypocrisy of that statement is remarkable. This coming from a man who would rather allocate funds towards military programs than social programs; this coming from a man who quite frankly is not even aware of the plight of his own people as they decline into a state of perpetual fear from moral, economic, and security crisis'; this coming from a man who has gained an unprecedented amount of executive and economic power through these perpetual states.

If anything, it's men like Cheney that should be feared; thier desires for power have severe ramnifications for the whole of the world.

Deep

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm sorry cheney is not starving people in the U.S. I live in the states and I know a lot of homeless people and I also know they can get help if they need or want it. most of the people I know like their lives as bumbs, and drunks, you can,t blame all the problems of the world on the U.S administration. I'm probably considered on the low end as in rich, middle class and poor, I'm closer to poor, I've lived in the projects and I know a lot of people who still do. Cheney made his Money on his own not by Killing anyone and he shurly is not a brutal dictator.you can hate the U.S all you want but there is no comparing are leaders to NKs brutal dictator. a person of your intellect.and knowing so much about how NK's leaders should take a trip over there for a few years. I'm sorry thats probably off. you have a right to your opnion. but all your negativity doesn't help anything it just sounds like a bunch of whining

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Wow, the hypocrisy of that statement is remarkable. This coming from a man who would rather allocate funds towards military programs than social programs; this coming from a man who quite frankly is not even aware of the plight of his own people as they decline into a state of perpetual fear from moral, economic, and security crisis'; this coming from a man who has gained an unprecedented amount of executive and economic power through these perpetual states.

If anything, it's men like Cheney that should be feared; thier desires for power have severe ramnifications for the whole of the world.

Deep
I agree that the US has it's problems and I'll even go so far as to agree that Cheney and a lot of the Capital Hill Gang are not the most innocent people that have ever walked the face of this earth BUT to equate the government of the United States with that of North Korea is absolutely ridiculous! The social welfare structure of the US may be seriously flawed and certainly lacking when compared with many industrialized nations but , when compared to North Korea, at least the US has one. Could one's ?hatred of the Bush Regime cloud reason at times ? North Korea is one of the most despicable nations on this planet. If anything, North Korea could easily be classified as a rogue state...a country whose people lack even the most basic of freedoms not to mention necessities of life. You might seriously reconsider your statements insofar as they apply to North Korea and any comparison to the United States.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The absurdity of many people on the left is exposed when they compare the leadership of the U.S. with that (or lack thereof) of North Korea. Enough said.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by finnman68
WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Vice President Richard Cheney launched a personal attack on North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, calling him an irresponsible leader who "doesn't take care" of his people as he strives for nuclear power status for his country.

let him have it Cheney

news.yahoo.com.../afp/20050529/pl_afp/usnkoreacheney_050529234835

... And then the Pot turned to the Kettle and called it black.

Cheney has NO moral legs to stand on. The man is evil.
And as for Nth Korea, it's no different to Saddam or Iran, MOST American's who hate these countries actually have very little idea of what it is they hate about them, they just repeat the crap they are feed anyway.
Look at yourself before you point the finger at others, America's weakest trait.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

[edit on 30-5-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

You might seriously reconsider your statements insofar as they apply to North Korea and any comparison to the United States.

No, I think i'll stick to my original statement as they are based on an accumulation of acts conducted by this current administration in thier attempt to allocave impunitive powers upon thier breasts. We speak of a goverment whose Secratary of State one had dealings -Nuclear Reactors- with North Korea, but, of course, i'm sure you dismissed that; we are speaking of a president whose dubious relationship with one of the worst monarchies upon this planet still persists as is illustrated in his ever so fecund pictures hand in hand with the monarchs of Saudi Arabia, but, of course, I'm sure you dismissed that; we are speaking of a goverment who waged a wholly illegal war with a country whose Nuclear program was known to be defunct to the point of harmlessness, and has subsequently, to the smiles of the executive administration, led to a country being occupied illegaly, and diminished it's right to self-determination -- imposing democracy upon a country whose dictator you sold biological/chemical weapons as he used them at whim, not to mention supporting him in his fight against Iran who screamed nationalism in the eyes of the west and their puppet leader, is not very laudatory, don't you think? I think you get the point.

The leaders of America have supported undemocratic countries in the past, and continue to in the interesting of ruthless capitalism. Cheney's statements are pointless dribble which hold no bearing to the sad reality that exists in the documented cases of United States intervention of democracticly elected leaders, and their indaunting support for oppressive dictators the world over. It's vulgar to believe that they are nothing compared to the likes of Kim Jong 11, if anything, they are far more worse.

The guise of a 'stable' democracy has kept them safe for the time being.

Deep

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm not trying to change anyones views of the U.S adminastration, but comparing us in the U.S my countries leaders to the dictators in NK, Iran is absurd

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I'm not trying to change anyones views of the U.S adminastration, but comparing us in the U.S my countries leaders to the dictators in NK, Iran is absurd

Americans are good people as it is very much illustrated on these boards, and they are easily receptive of contesting view points which is even more vehemently illustrated on these boards, however, some of it's goverments leaders have been documented dealing with dictators and ousting democractly elected leaders. When it comes down to principle, American leaders tend to be moraly dialectical; you cannot claim that you wich to progress democracy in the middle east, then walk hand in hand with one of your closest allies and freinds, an ally and a freind who virtualy oppose women many basic rights we here in the west take for granted among many other things.

www.hrw.org...

Freedom of expression and association were nonexistent rights, political parties and independent local media were not permitted, and even peaceful anti-government activities remained virtually unthinkable. Infringements on privacy, institutionalized gender discrimination, harsh restrictions on the exercise of religious freedom, and the use of capital and corporal punishment were also major features of the kingdom's human rights record.

Saudi Arabia continued to provide refuge and financial support to Idi Amin, the exiled Ugandan leader whose regime was responsible for a reign of terror that left an estimated 300,00 dead in the 1970s. After fleeing Uganda in 1979, Amin arrived in the kingdom at the invitation of the late King Faisal and reportedly has since been protected by government-paid Saudi guards. A journalist with Uganda's New Vision newspaper interviewed Amin in Jeddah in 1999 and reported that he had moved from his home in the city center "to a more exclusive area...mainly occupied by powerful oil sheikhs."

And this country is hailed by the U.S. in it's fight on 'terror'.

Deep

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   

And this country is hailed by the U.S. in it's fight on 'terror'.

Why is that the pressure we put on them to change is always ignored? You can not possibly be naive enough to think that we can avoid dealing with Saudi Arabia...

Like it or not, the recent Democratic reform in the Middle East is a product of American pressure. Most notably is what happened in Egypt recently.

We have not just simply turned a blind eye to everything as many like to say.

And even if we did, these regimes don't compare to North Korea. North Korea is probably the absolute worst government in the world. The only things that I can compare to the treatment of their general population are what the Nazis did in the Concentration Camps.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
"SALUTE" Cheney! Kim Jong needs to be Killed! or imprisoned with Saddam all Kim cares about is his Power/Leadership/Military if he cared for his people he would do something! I Vote destroy his whole leadership and Military Infustruture.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by Jamie6661986]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Why is that the pressure we put on them to change is always ignored? You can not possibly be naive enough to think that we can avoid dealing with Saudi Arabia...

Yes, I am that naive enough. You cannot tout yourself as a safe haven for human rights and yet abette oppressive goverments. The avoidance of economic ties with Saudi Arabia is the only possible progress towards substanced democracy and upholding of basic human rights in that country. The United States goverment has gone out if it's way to disacknowledge Saudi Arabias diversity in dissent, opression, and abbeting of terrorist cells, as it has circulated conspiracies as maxims. As I stated earlier, this is a matter of prinicple, and were it to be left as the sole transcedence, America has failed in this principle.

I have to leave for a bit, i'll get back to this possibley tonight if not on a later date.

Deep

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Is it possible that VP Cheney May have had an ulterior motive in making this statement at this time? Is it possible that he might be trying to provoke the little nutjob into rash action which could, however thinly, justify a pre-emptive/retaliatory/regional peace stabilizing move by the US on behalf of the "civilized world"?

Having read recent news releases and postings on ATS, it seems clear that the US is preparing to act "decisively" against NK in the the near future. Intimations appear to be that this action would be military in nature, up to and possibly including the limited use of tactical nuclear weapons.

NK has been playing its brinksmanship card, which has served it well in the past, to the hilt. But I fear that this time, bidding on its somewhat meglomanical self-image as New World Empire, the US has decided to call NK's bluff.

Whether he is aware of it or not, and I tend to think that a man of the VP's intelligence would be aware, Cheney has publicly caused Kim to severely "loose face". It is my understanding that, in most Asian cultures, and especially in the Korean culture, to accuse the head of the family, or in this case the country, of willfully not taking care of his family is possibly the greatest personal insult one can levy.

I believe that the only thing that has kept US missles out of North Korean skies so far has been the lack of at least tacit approval from Russia and the PRC. With the opening of the Caspian pipeline, the US is no longer terribly concerned with Putin's approval.

If Kim foolishly responds to US provocation, say by actually demonstrating NK's nuclear capabilities, I doubt that the US will wait for China to blink in suprise before slagging a good portion of North Korea.

In retaliation/recompensation, the prospects for the future of an independent Taiwan do not look promising.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Yes, I am that naive enough. You cannot tout yourself as a safe haven for human rights and yet abette oppressive goverments

Find me one developed or Western nation who doesn't have ties to nations like it (or worse).

Hate to tell you, but we need oil, and for a lot more then energy. It's required to make over 500,000 produtcs, including plastics, and various chemicals needed to grow our food.

The avoidance of economic ties with Saudi Arabia is the only possible progress towards substanced democracy and upholding of basic human rights in that country.

Not true at all. Saudi Arabia, along with other Middle Eastern nations, have made progress over the years and will continue to do so.

The United States goverment has gone out if it's way to disacknowledge Saudi Arabias diversity in dissent, opression, and abbeting of terrorist cells, as it has circulated conspiracies as maxims. As I stated earlier, this is a matter of prinicple, and were it to be left as the sole transcedence, America has failed in this principle.

The Saudi government is hated by groups like Al Qeada because of their ties with America, and the only official support they've received from them were most likely bribes to keep them off their backs.

Since 9/11, even that's stopped. How many shoot outs with Al Qeada operatives have been reported? I've seen accounts of casualties from the Saudi military.

They aren't an ideal partner, but they aren't as bad as you make them out to be.

Is it possible that VP Cheney May have had an ulterior motive in making this statement at this time? Is it possible that he might be trying to provoke the little nutjob into rash action which could, however thinly, justify a pre-emptive/retaliatory/regional peace stabilizing move by the US on behalf of the "civilized world"?

They've been saying this stuff for years now. It's nothing new of the Bush administration. I doubt the hope is to provoke him. We aren't scared of Kim, and know he won't do anything. North Korea has been playing this game for a half century now. It's nothing but talk, even from a nutjob like Kim.

Bush, believe it or not, is not out to conqueror the world. War with North Korea gets America nothing.

America's policy with North Korea has remained virtually the same. We want to keep the status quo. Bush hasn't done anything different.

If Kim foolishly responds to US provocation, say by actually demonstrating NK's nuclear capabilities, I doubt that the US will wait for China to blink in suprise before slagging a good portion of North Korea.

If North Korea tests a nuke, we would be powerless. Simply bombing Korea isn't an option at this point. We won't nuke them unless they actually fire on someone else. It simply won't be tolerated by anyone.

It would achieve little, as North Korea has probably put most of their facilities under ground.

In retaliation/recompensation, the prospects for the future of an independent Taiwan do not look promising.

So, we would trade off Taiwan, which has value to America, for North Korea? What's the purpose?

With Taiwan, it's about containing China, and letting them know who is boss. Giving up Taiwan would be a sign to all of our allies in the region that we are no longer willing to oppose China openly. They would be top dog in the region. America will never allow that.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamie6661986
Kim Jong needs to be Killed! or imprisoned with Saddam all Kim cares about is his Power/Leadership/Military if he cared for his people he would do something!

Where have you been for the last 5 years??

In describing Kill Jong Il, you've just typed out Cheney's bio!

What is with American patriots and their lack of perspective???

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Yea, how dare us dumb ignorant Americans not realize that our president is the same as Lil' Kim. I mean, look at how many babies they've killed to control the population, or the number of children who are forced to fight over pieces of rice (given to us by nations like Japan) just to survive...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Cheney finally says something smart that 99%
of the known universe will agree with and you
all bash him. Is that right?

Can't you just agree with what he said and leave it at that!!

[edit on 30/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer

Find me one developed or Western nation who doesn't have ties to nations like it (or worse).

no other country has such extensive links to the saudi dictatorship.

Not true at all. Saudi Arabia, along with other Middle Eastern nations, have made progress over the years and will continue to do so.

Thats why Crown Prince Abdullah is listed as the worlds fifth worse dictator then?

They may be holding very limited elections for the first time in 40 years but Women may not vote or run for office.

The Saudi government is hated by groups like Al Qeada because of their ties with America, and the only official support they've received from them were most likely bribes to keep them off their backs.

Since 9/11, even that's stopped. How many shoot outs with Al Qeada operatives have been reported? I've seen accounts of casualties from the Saudi military.

Thas rubbish, the saudi dictatorship may be publically saying that but they've barely have control over their armed forces who mainly support terrorist groups such as al queda.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer

Yea, how dare us dumb ignorant Americans not realize that our president is the same as Lil' Kim. I mean, look at how many babies they've killed to control the population, or the number of children who are forced to fight over pieces of rice (given to us by nations like Japan) just to survive...

How about the 1.5 Million iraqi children killed as a direct result of US sanctions on Iraq and the US illegally bombing hospitals, water treatment plants and power stations (which incidentally are war crimes!) in the 1991 Gulf war?

<<   2  3 >>

join