It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our First Contact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
In the light of the "Alien Planet" show on the discovery I saw recently I came up with this question. In the midst of every single sighting we have reported and every abduction we have heard about we are inclined sometimes to believe that contact will be with a civilized race. Discovery Channel showed a different side of first contact. That could be a conspiracy in itself if someone wanted to take it that way but simply put, What, in your mind, is the first contact between Man and Alien going to be like? I am really interested to hear your points. Please include why you are inclined to believe one side of this argument and why you are not able to accept the other.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
i would like to comment on first contact. first some thoughts on past:

>the most difficult thing for us is to put ourselves in their shoes.

>our concept and use of time may be different.

>for any EBEs, 20k years ago may just be nothing.

>the industrial revolution has transformed the planet in the last 100 or so yrs

>EBE civilization would probably forbid rogue members from disrupting us too much.

>EBE civilization is most likely very rich in species and akin to the star wars universe of political alliances and unexplored regions.

now my personal thoughts on first contact:

>we know very little as a populous.

>between secret conspiracies, lies, religious zealously, it is very difficult to thread a truth.

>for EBE civ to welcome us, we would most likely need to show a certain level of maturity. otherwise the risk is greater. [we could # up]

>global maturity of all nations will require thoughfull, peacefull, and equal appreciation for all other humans. [prejudices against EBEs would not be good]

what im getting at is timing.

the more we can share and discuss without fear, the closer we are to meeting EBEs in person. it does make sense.

so my thoughts on first contact is that it will happened. largely dependent on our attitudes toward one another.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Very well founded. And well stated at that. I would accept that theory without any question at all.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It would be just as easy to imagine that the Earth finally get's it's act together; unites in a global effort of peace, social order and co-existence. Given this, an alien race might just as easily come to subjugate humanity into slavery or even to eliminate us altogether. Just because an alien race might be capable of advanced space travel does not preclude that they might have malevolent designs upon our planet.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think that the First Contact between Human and Alien will be the discovery of microbe , perhaps retrieved from Mars or some other extra-terrestrial body.

Our first Contact with a sentient alien species will likely be in the form of a communication, although we may never comprhend the message. Another possibility is the observation of an intelligenly guided object as it flys through our neck of the Galactic woods.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is my own opinion but I think that we have been in contact for a very
long time. The gov. has been working with aliens for the last 50 years or
so. They are slowly grooming us to accept this reality. When you ask a
question like this it shows you have been groomed enough to begin to
ask yourself questions like these. One day we all will be ready, or we all
might know before we are all ready, either way, it's coming soon.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I think this is how it will happen.

First we will detect ancient microbial life on Mars, and some say we already have.

Then living microbial life or animal life of a higher order, probably on Europa under the ice sheet surface.

Possibly contact may be through communication like the SETI program, but they have been searching now for forty years and have not found anything yet.

I don't think we will have contact with a more advanced intelligent life, when they feel we are ready. I question this because I don't think the World will ever be totally prepared. I think it will take an event like this in order for the countries to come together. Until then I don't think we will mature fast enough, and war and poverty will continue.

I think first contact will probably be an accident, maybe another crashed UFO, or something like that. It would be something that can't be covered up, and everyone will know they exist. If aliens wanted to make contact, or wanted to take over our planet, I think they would have already.

I don't think there has been any collaborating with aliens, because of the reaction from the military. They continue to scramble jets to chase them off. There may have been contact made at some point in the past, but maybe the govt. or military didn't like what they were offering, and hence the defensive stance.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I agree with the general consensus here for the most part. First "contact" will be with some form of bacterial life, and most likely from either Mars, Venus, or Europa. Given that we seem to have extremely little interest in exploring Venus, Mars or Europa. Possibly Io; even in our own oceans we have discovered life that might have a chance surviving there.

I think our first contact with a reasonably advanced ET civ would be through something akin to SETI, and would be much like the "WOW" signal we once received. I think it would be much more distinguished however, something that the researchers would be able to track and confirm. However, we'd probably lose the signal for one reason or another (hopefully because it got shut off and not because we humans are that incompetent
) and we'd end up going on our merry way.

The first publicized physical contact would probably happen one of two ways, depending on whether the government conspiracy is true or not. If it isn't true, and the gov't hasn't been in contact for the past 50+ years, then it would probably be as Hal stated. An accident in a public venue where there's no chance of hiding it. Something that's already got a crowd and tons of cameras on the scene would probably be the best situation, but the odds of a ship crashing on the 50 yard line during halftime at the Super Bowl are much worse in my opinion than there being a glitch in the lottery and everyone who buys a ticket wins.

If the gov't has been hiding contact from us, then it will come at a time when it is most politically beneficial to the powers that be. Maybe a large catastrophy is going to happen and these aliens just "happen" to come along to save the day. Of course, after lengthy negotiation by our head honcho at the time, who then takes credit for saving mankind with his/her diplomatic skills. Or possibly the ET's decide they're tired of watching us do our thing and want this chunk of rock (or our glorious leaders do something to piss them off.) Then the gov't calls upon us to take arms against the invaders, with a cover story that makes our government smell like roses.

Of course, even if we have been visited before, that doesn't mean there isn't a "new" race out there who's never really known about us. They may decide that earth would make a great summer home. They may not care what our leaders want and think they need to get setup with a slot on Letterman. First contact could happen at any time, with any race, regardless of whether there's greys in Area 51 or Dulce.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
First let me thank you all for your input. You know originally I thought our first discovery of life would be before we find life with probes in the form of intelligent beings. But as I broaden my mind and quite being focused on little green men I realize that microscopic organisms far outnumber multicellular larger organisms. It is more likely that we would find things like we might have on Mars rather than something like a Grey.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
By alien do you mean "other worldly" interdimensional, timetravelers etc.?
They have been here since the dawn of man. All of the above. We are their property; we are just to primitive to realise our place in the cosmic tableau. My dog loves people!! Sometimes he barks and growles at some people. They are just masquerading as humans. Im beginning to be able to feel the vibes of these enities or I should say "lack of vibes" If you pay attention; you can see these that some people arnen't comfortable in their human form. It takes practice. It's also easy to make mistakes, Some people just don't like being human and would prefer to be something else. I'm one of them. I'd like to be my dog. Or maybe a garden tractor.
Or maybe a Santana CD.

top topics

join