It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: France Votes "Non" to EU Constitution, Calls for Chirac to Stand Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
French exit polls are reporting that the public have voted against the European constitution in a historic referendum held today in France. The CSA polling group reports that the "Non" camp won the vote by 55.6%. Jean Marie Le Pen has called for the resignation of French President Jacques Chirac.

news.bbc.co.uk
The constitution cannot come into force unless it is ratified by all 25 EU members.

So far, nine countries have ratified it.

Eight other national referendums are still to come, including one in the Netherlands on Wednesday, where the "No" side is also leading in the poll

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This resounding No will cause major ruptions in the European community, the Dutch will vote on Wednesday and it is clear that they will also vote now.

This is a massive defeat for the "yes" community and a blow to the European Government. President Chirac has yet to comment. The constitution which took years of negotiation is now thrown in the air as any attempts to pander to the French will result in protests from other host nations.

Another note, President DeGaulle resigned after he lost a referendum.

Related News Links:
www.sky.com

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It will be no loss if Chirac has to resign, but I have my doubts about the amount of disruption. Our local paper printed a portion of the new constitution, and its something only a very pedantic beauraucrat could love.

Its virtually unreadable, and hence of little meaning to the average person, which is the opposite of what is needed to draw the Europeans together.

The Europeans still have their commercial and monetary treaty to bind them together. The integration will continue, but the political union may have to wait for a more "poetic" constitution.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
c'est de bonnes nouvelles!!

A "oui" on this would feed the NWO. Make them a little bit stronger than what the already are....

Im glad the people of France voted "Non".....
They did not just vote for themselves, wether they know it
or not they voted for all countries by setting the example
for others to follow....

Good good france

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here's an interesting commentary about voting on the EU consititution.

Following Sunday's vote in France, on Wednesday Dutch voters get to express their opinion on the proposed ''European Constitution.'' Heartening to see democracy in action, notwithstanding the European elite's hysterical warnings that, without the constitution, the continent will be set back on the path to Auschwitz. I haven't seen the official ballot, but the choice seems to be: "Check Box A to support the new constitution; check Box B for genocide and conflagration."

"If at the end of the ratification process, we do not manage to solve the problems, the countries that would have said No, would have to ask themselves the question again," "President" Juncker told the Belgian newspaper Le Soir.

Got that? You have the right to vote, but only if you give the answer your rulers want you to give. But don't worry, if you don't, we'll treat you like a particularly backward nursery school and keep asking the question until you get the answer right.

www.suntimes.com...

The author tries to compare American politics to the constitution voting, which I find highly ironic and highly erroneous. Anyway, I hope that we can overlook that part of the article.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
For the first time in my life i would like to thank the people of France!

The 'NO' vote is just what i wanted!

And it is about time Chirac stood down, relations between the UK and France have not been the same with Chirac in charge and it is about time they had a change!

Mic!

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The NO is no problem at all! It just means that a generation of politicians doesn't have anything to offer anymore. These middle-aged men are out of step with the internal problems in their countries, and want to escape into the fantasy-world of "Europe".
Chirac is already refusing to resign...
Also, a NO means that the party is over: the unanimous insupportable discourse of "lets build Europe" is now discredited.
Thank you France!

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
edit: disregard previous post.
83% of the votes were counted and the result will be a solid "no"...

Not 83% "no" votes as I first posted... Should have checked my sources better...

[edit on 2005/5/29 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow!

I think this is amazing!
I guess the old saying "Information wants to be free", still rules!!!
Hoorayyy!

Thats how it goes when the big brass choose not to inform/hide the agendas to the people!
Thankfully, the good people of France still realize that there might be worms crawling beneath stones!

Media is already talking about a cathastrophy for the politicians and the system, and so on. Alot of crap on TV right now! Political comentatories talks about Chirac wanting to negotiate into a "solution"...

Kool! Down with the Systems! Bring it all back to the people! Viva la France!

It is going to be veeery interesting to see how Denmarks Anders Fogh Rassmussen is going to weasel himself out of this one!

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
États Rouges v. Bleus de France:

Source: Le Monde

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The "non" vote just gives us the status quo back. How euroskeptics are claiming a victory here I dont know. The EU will remain in place, the euro will remain in place, the previous treaties will remain in place, sovereign parliaments dont have the chance to object to EU law still.

Talk about a storm in a teacup.

I wanted a no vote as well but only due to the free market economy that Britain forced onto the rest of Europe.

The EU is a good institution, as good as a political institution can be, and will be needed for us to compete for reasources when America, China, Russia and India all get their claws out in about 20 years time.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

The EU is a good institution, as good as a political institution can be, and will be needed for us to compete for reasources when America, China, Russia and India all get their claws out in about 20 years time.

You are talking about trade here. Money the transfer of goods. I havent got a problem with that, not at all. Its when they tell us how to run our lives on a personal social and moral level that bugs people.

People dont want it.

Trade yes, social engineering no.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was actually talking about military cooperation and unity for when the Resource Wars come. Oil, Water, Food and Land will all be fought for in the future.

Oil has already started.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Yes, The French Are Still French

I understand the appeal of the European Union, and think many good things have already come from it.

But I am very concerned about this “European Superstate” business, and not just because I'm an American.

Cooperation among European nations is an excellent thing.

Consolidating power over them in a single place is something millions of Europeans have died fighting against, and with good reason.

European Statehood may come someday, but I pray that if/when it does, it won't be shoved down Europe's throat.

The people of France have spoken.

Good for them!

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
And we must not forget what others have said on the same subject....

Quote//
I will not prophesy. I will merely repeat that we are at present working, discreetly but with all our might, to wrest this mysterious political force called sovereignty out of the clutches of the local national states of our world.
And all the time we are denying with our lips what we are doing with our hands.

Professor Arnold Toynbee, 8 June 1931

The clutter of small nations must be eliminated in favour of a united Europe.

Adolf Hitler, 1943

Quite clearly, the plan to be adopted, even on the purely economic level, must be too vast to be prepared in any detail before it is undertaken.
Its shape must be subject to modification as we go.
Moreover - and it is as well to state this at the outset - no government dependent on a democratic vote could possibly agree in advance to the sacrifices which any adequate plan must involve. The people must be led slowly and unconsciously into the abandonment of their traditional economic defences.

Peter (later Lord) Thorneycroft in the 1947 ‘Design for Europe’.

‘However daring a political project is, it must be hidden, camouflaged. In Europe (the EU, of course) one must act ‘as if’.
As if, that is, one wanted only a few things in order to get a great deal. As if indeed, nations were to remain sovereign in order to convince them to surrender their sovereignty. For.......
www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk...

I.X
helen

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What I dont understand is why France bothered with a referendum whilst countries like Germany just ratified it in parliament.

Is Chirac that out of touch with his "subjects" that he expected them to yote for this document?

new topics

top topics

join