It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor to arm the F-35 JSF

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The USAF should seriously develope their own 5th gen BVRAAM instead of using European AAMs or using newer AAMRAAMs.

The USAF is not using European missiles, and the USAF is currently working on fielding a ramjet missile till that comes around the Aim-120D will suffice.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Um, isn't the Meteor European? Or maybe I am just misinformed. Just look at the thread title and you will know what I mean.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Meteor is a British led 'European' missile (don't ask me why I put it like that - I guess it matters to me
) that will arm UK F-35's plus any export customer that specifies it.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Maybe I’m missing something but how does countries other than the U.S. who will get ht eF-35 using Meteors to arm them gets turned into the USAF using Meteors?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Oh, I was wrong the whole time. The Meteor will be armed in the JSF for the British and probably European and export JSFs instead of using the standard American AMRAAMs. The American ones will still be using AMRAAMs though. The thread is just about how the Meteor could be available for use on export F-35s for other countries.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The Meteor has been offered to India for its LCA Tejas.

It'll perhaps be used on the Mirages as well

Is it possible to load the Meteor on the Su-30MKI ??
Will MBDA agree ??

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I found the answer. An emphatic and persistant yes.

Check this out :

The European MBDA Consortium has made persistent offers to integrate the Meteor Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM 80+ nautical miles range) with the Indian Air Force (IAF) Sukhoi-30MKI fighters.

A transfer of technology arrangement in relation to the Meteor BVRAAM may prove to be the optimum logical step. Subject to critical decisions, in the long run the Meteor and Astra BVRAAM may complement the Russian ultra-long-range (400-km+) R-172 BVRAAM and R-73RDM2 or possibly Israeli Python 4/5 Near Beyond Visual Range/Within Visual Range (NBVR/WVR) AAMs in the IAFs formidable and fearsome AAM inventory.

However Meteor is sure to “posses” provisions for the futuristic concept of “Cooperative Fighter Operations” or Mixed Fighter Force Concept (MFFC) that is essential for future BVR engagements and optimum performance and results. Pairs of aircraft will be data-linked; as one illuminates the other launches the missiles against the targets. In such engagements the “striker” fighter will be able to impart the greatest kinetic energy to the Meteor BVRAAM by accelerating up to Mach 2 and then manoeuvring out of the engagement. The illuminator fighter such as the Sukhoi-30MKI with powerful radar capable of performing like a mini-AWACS would remain firmly subsonic keeping a decent distance from the target, and providing either command-guidance updates or illuminating the target. The IAF have absorbed the MFFC well and superbly demonstrated his during Cope India 2004 air exercise with the United States Air Force (USAF)

link

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Meteor is capable of engaging air targets autonomously, whether fighters, bombers, transport aircraft, AWACS or cruise missiles by using its active radar seeker by day or night and in all weather or dense EW (Electronic Warfare) environments. Meteor’s solid Boron fuelled Variable-Flow Ducted Ram-rocket (VFDR) propulsion system will ensure a range well in excess of 100-km and a speed of more than Mach 4 and high terminal velocity. Thus even when launched from extreme stand-off ranges, the missile will have the energy in the end game to defeat fast, manoeuvring targets. The need for controlled airflow to the ramjet ducts ruled out the “skid-to-turn” manoeuvring of a conventional rocket-powered missile, as it will risk masking an intake and instead “bank-to-turn” manoeuvring is adopted. To ensure total target destruction, the missile is equipped with a combination of SAAB Dynamics laser proximity and impact fuzes and a fragmentation warhead that is detonated at the optimum point to maximise lethality. For mid-course navigation guidance Meteor utilises Inertial Navigation System (INS) combined with information provided by the launch, or any friendly aircraft via the two way data-link, to adequately offset Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) complexities or challenges. During the terminal phase the active-radar homing method employs advanced proportional based navigation software. It can receive targeting data after launch from the launching fighter, another fighter, or Airborne Warning & Control Systems (AWACS) platforms. The two-way data-link partially solves the IFF problem at long ranges.

< India
_^Pakistan

[edit on 12-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I love that banana emoticon.

That makes the Indian airforce allot more powerfull i think.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
what does, the dancing banana?

No but seriously the Meteor looks to be an awesome weapon and I am glad that we are producing our own instead of always buying American.

It may be the best but we have thrown 'the best' in the bin before to please our transatlantic friends

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

the Russian ultra-long-range (400-km+) R-172 BVRAAM

WTF? Whats that? Could be the latest and most dangerous Russian BVRAAM?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It is widely rumoured that MBDA is providing a lot of techincal input into Ramjet propulsion system(from Meteor) to India's own Astra BVRAAM

Meteor + MKI = Pakistan dead in 10 minutes

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD

the Russian ultra-long-range (400-km+) R-172 BVRAAM

WTF? Whats that? Could be the latest and most dangerous Russian BVRAAM?

It's another one of those hypothetical Russian missiles that never left the drawing board.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Because Pakistan is such a strong nation, please kid, give me a break.

[edit on 12-6-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Because Pakistan is such a strong nation, please kid, give me a break.

Sorry, double post.

[edit on 12-6-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Their never going to fight each other, Pakistanis and India mini Cold war is stupid IMO. I don't like either of them so...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
the question you lot have to ask yourselves is why you are raving about who arms a stupid plane. does it make a difference to your lives? do you feel better now that you know who is supplying arms for your country's latest money waste?

i wonder what the poor and needy think of all this money wasted on cr@p like this.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

i wonder what the poor and needy think of all this money wasted on cr@p like this

Well, it's not my problem they are poor, they got themselves that way, so they can do what they do best and just be poor, or find a job.

Let me ask you, you think we should curb military spending just to give poor people government handouts?

And why bother even posting in this section if you're not going to contribute.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The U.S. gives more in aid to needy counties each year then the whole world combined so don't come here and talk about helping the poor. And if you must know who arms our counties fighter jets is very important.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567

i wonder what the poor and needy think of all this money wasted on cr@p like this

Well, it's not my problem they are poor, they got themselves that way, so they can do what they do best and just be poor, or find a job.

Let me ask you, you think we should curb military spending just to give poor people government handouts?

And why bother even posting in this section if you're not going to contribute.

firstly, that is a very ignorant comment.

secondly, yes, why not give people who are needy handouts to help them get back on their feet and contribute to society again. after all, most of the money spent of weapons programs is squandered anyway. why not for a change use the money wisely.

and lastly, my contribution was to in some small way encourage you war mongerer's to think a little differently!

[edit on 13-6-2005 by finch]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join