It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost story I heard while in Crete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hello,

About two years ago, I went with my family to Crete. One day, we went to the Samaria Gorge, together with a guide and a group of other people. The way back to the hotel was a long busride near the shores of the island, and we came across a few beatiful villages, while the guide giving information about the history of the villages. She told an interesting story about one of these villages.
In the 19th century, there was a war going on with Turkey. She said an army of Greece and Cretan rebels had gathered up in the fortress near this village, unfortunatly for them, the Turks found out about their plan, and attacked. The Cretan army was masacred, our guide even claimed the the day after the battle, the local villagers had to go on the battlefield to collect the bodyparts of the soldiers, in order to burry them. This battle occured on the 17th of May.
One year later, the villagers witnessed an army dressed in black, carrying strange weapons, marching through the village.
Now, each year, around the same day, the villagers see this ghostly army. Our guid told us that scientists had allready invetigated this event. She said they saw a strang fog with blurry figures wondering around in it. The scientists claimed, that it was "a mirrage creatad by atmospherical distortions" or something like that. To me, that explenation sounds about just as (or even less) realistic as the ghost-explenation .
Now I don't know if I should believe this story, it souns interesting, but it could just be some legend to amuse/attract tourists. I haven't found much on the internet either, so far, this is all I've found

Also, as I said, I heard this 2 years ago, so I don't know if I remember this story correct.

If anybody here has more information about this story, please post it

[edit on 29-5-2005 by MooseT]
//ed to shorten link//

[edit on 29-5-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I don't have any information on these ghosts, but I seem to remember that there are Civil War ghosts in this country:
www.civilwarghosts.com...

I tend to think these Greek story is just as real as the Civil War ghosts.

Here's some more info, with pictures:
www.webcam-crete.com...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

I tend to think these Greek story is just as real as the Civil War ghosts.

Probably, but it's still a cool story

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No,you misunderstand me. I think it is entirely possible that spirits of men who died in combat can be restless. Isn't a tragic death one reason for ghosts? I admit to being a little shy on ghost knowledge.....
....but, I believe.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
@DontTreadOnMe

From what I understand about ghosts is this,

Ghost can hang around if they are in a tragic accident/killed.

If they are waiting for something/one
EXP:

There was this library near where i lived, the librarian there.. Her husband died and the place became haunted for some time, noises books dissapearing and so on, after the lady/librarian died the noises and other odd things stopped. Which was led to believe that the old man was waiting for his wife to cross over before he moved on.

Or if one has extra baggage.
EXP:

I take me about 5 yrs ago. I had major issues with my father and how I was brought up.. lets say I died 3 years ago.... I would be stuck here untill I resolved those issues.

The person May not know that they are dead.

I have only heard of this while studing astral projection, I have not heard anything in real time/life about this one so I cant give an example... But i guess it would make sense in a way..

Also last but not least,

If one liked the place so much that they just stick around.
EXP:

An ex Cheif of a fire hall in an area where I grew up died, and some Firefighters would see him wandering around certain areas of the building, seeing that things are kept up.. ship shape I guess you can say.

But from what i also understand is that in the spirit world, AKA Astral world time moves alot slower than our real time here..

Anyway I hope this helps you guys out somewhat..

[edit on 5/29/2005 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 5/29/2005 by ThichHeaded]

Odd

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
i've read about several cases where a spectral army will appear on the site of a major battle; in fact, i recently read about one (although i can't remember where it occured) in which one army was seen on the field several days before the battle was fought.

i imagine our long and bloody history as humans has left behind a lot of very interesting ghosts.

pao

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
wow.... i wish i had the opportunity to see/hear a ghost. but i have never had that. The greek story is pretty interesting. post some more info if you can find it

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
No,you misunderstand me. I think it is entirely possible that spirits of men who died in combat can be restless. Isn't a tragic death one reason for ghosts? I admit to being a little shy on ghost knowledge.....
....but, I believe.

Sorry for the missunderstanding
Now that you mention it I have heard stories about forests in France where people have seen soldiers from the great war running around. I've been in those forests, quite impressive (the place is still covered with rusty iron on remains of bombs) but I've never seen a ghost there (in fact I've never seen any ghost in my entire life), I defintly think there is some reality in these stories, cause someone we know has experienced something like that; she was still a little girl and went to pick flowers, suddenly it got really cold and she heard whispering.
(I'm btw nof from France, I'm from Belgium)

Oh and I found this link on these Cretan ghosts:
www.magicaljourneys.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This is certainly no the first time I have heard of battlefied spirits sightings and experiences.

There have been numerous sightings in the UK of spirits from The English Civl War, concerning battles being waged in the skies above one battlefield between whole armies, and soldiers walking along roads, being mistaken for reanactment actors.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
And that's just The English Civil War. There have been many sightings of spirits from many of the bloody wars that ravaged the UK.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Regensturm]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Apparantly the same thing started to happen after a big fight where loads were killed during the english civil war and appaantly you can still hear them shouting and see them fighting

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Apparantly the same thing started to happen after a big fight where loads were killed during the english civil war and appaantly you can still hear them shouting and see them fighting

join