It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN special, Autism is a world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
On CNN, Autism is a World just came on. They have been announcing it for sometime now...should be interesting to watch. Its onn CNN international, I think it's on regular CNN too...

One of the Autistic girls who's 26 has like a 133 IQ......

Just thought you all would like to know that it's on CNN like NOW..

So why are you still reading this...go watch it!!!!!

there is no need to respond to this

[edit on 28/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
And its me again...just bringing it up so people can see it....

I think it's very important and educatonal for people to watch this...

If you have cable TV watch it, if not...sucks to be you
(joking)

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
ah bugger can't find it in the oz pg, i'll keep an eye out. as a high functioning AP i find serious discussion of autism rare, adult autism almost totally ignored. ta for the warning.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
SportyMB - Could you give a basic run down for those of us who missed it and are interested in the subject matter?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
[edit on 30/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
SportyMB - Could you give a basic run down for those of us who missed it and are interested in the subject matter?

No prob....Im not good writing stuff more than a few lines at a time.....so hang in there

I didnt mean for this thread to still be here...I thought a MOD would delete it after a couple hours.

I was interested is this because I have a cousin who has an autistic child.
He's like 4 now, and seemed normal until he got like 2 years old....seems like he stayed at 2 in the mind...but after watching this I see that there is hope for him and others like him.

Sue Rubin seems like your typical mentally retarded women. She carries a spoon, can't speak, and does funny stuff. But she is not retarded, not at all...she's autistic. At the age of 13 Sue was IQ tested and scored rock bottom....I think Dr's said she had the brain of a 2 1/2 year old.

Anyways, Sues mom with the help of her psychologist started Sue on this new thing going around, Facilitated communication. the link gives better details than me, but to sum it all up, do ya'll remember the old V-Tech toys from a few years ago that sound like a mix between Skeletor and Smegal...yeah them.

Anyways this is like a small hand held computer with a keyboard. Sue has learned to type actual words then press the "speak" button and the computer says what she spells. AMAZING!!! (the sound is way better than the old V-Tech toys)

Her mom taught here the Alphabet slowly and she started to form words and sentences.....now you can ask her any questiona and she can answer just like an adult, with the little computer thing ofcourse. She understands hard complex words and she can answer back in sentences not just YES and NO's.....Awesome!!!

She even writes, yes writes, motivational speeches for other like herself.

Later at the age of 26 she tested her IQ again...133, yes that's not a typo...133, that's like smarter than most of you.

She even said that she does not know why she carries a spoon...she can't help it...she just feels compelled to hold the spoon........

To sum it all up, she is just like you and me....only she looks retarded, acts retarded and has a little computer to talk for her. She attends college in regular classes like any 18 year would. She lives on her own with the Aid of others.

Smart as whip!

technology is awesome!!!

Makes me wonder...dam that would suck to be ME or YOU trapped in a retarded body...she was just a bomb of knowledge waiting to explode and the handheld computer thingy was the key.

Autism is a World on CNN, it will probably come on again sometime soon. Be on the look out!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Thanks SportyMB,

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Interesting wish i could have watched it being a person AS. Im always willing to find out more about AS and related syndromes in the Autistic spectrum.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
autism spectrum disorders are very poorly understood, described, funded and treated here. some limited support via public hospitals and autism victoria is available, but if you are an adult, some diagnoses are not considered a 'medical condition'. also if you are adult, no funding. i am lucky to have access to a very good neurologist and psychotherapist who assist me to function, wholly paid for by me. i know others, who are not as fortunate.

top topics

join