It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea Culture

page: 1

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:16 PM
Idea/Thought Culture

preface: While it is, in theory, possible to have a technological culture without a mind culture it is essentially a zero probability.

What makes/enables a mind culture?

The gathering of source data - experimentation, serendipitous observations and even pre-conceived concepts [often as a starting basis from which to work].

The formulation of this data into ideas and concepts.

A library for storage of ideas, concepts and raw data.

The ease of retrieval and access to data from its storage format(s).

The ability to gather, articulate and combine ideas is important.
This relies on the qualities of minds.
The number of minds involved helps.
The qualities of mind is important.
The energy/excitement of mind is important.

As to qualities of mind(s), it could be that various categories of minds are useful for various jobs. But the core minds of an active idea culture would probably be clear, sharp, agile & energized.
The ability to cleanly, abstractly articulate and manipulate ideas while preserving them is quite important.
The degrees of freedom of the Imagination would be optimized.
The flexibility to focus on intricate minutia as well as the ability to expand to bring together far flung concepts/ideas would be useful.

The tendency to manipulate ideas sensually allows ideas to live and be played with in one's mind.

I think having many diverse avenues of inquiry would give an idea culture a broader base and thereby better stability.

quantum teaches us that the more loosely and delicately we handle ideas and even raw data the better we preserve that of which we can not even [yet] perceive or concieve. Data must be dealt with in an almost mystical, implicit way instead of always being limited to forced rigid rationality.

In media and culture technological advances have a tendancy to be hyped. Im not sure if this is good or bad.
I think sometimes people see tech culture as happening in some lab 'out there' instead of simply using their own minds on their own personal lives. I think it is like exercise, the more you do the more you are able to do, as long as you start gradually.
I think the application of thought to each of our own lives optimizes aquisition of those things we each desire.

What are other peoples ideas on the worthwhileness and what do you think are the aspects of an idea culture?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
Mind over matter. Surgeants over insurgeants. Seargeants over sure gents. Living over dead. Gods over the godless, armed heroes on every corner, veterans fighting for their loved ones while steeped in trauma over fiery eyes burnt into their souls.

new topics