It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays, the new blacks?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

In my area, however (and it would seem this way in most places), homosexuality is a fad.

www.china.org.cn...

Seems to be a several thousand year old fad.

According to the "Historical Record" and "Han Dynasty Records", almost all emperors of the Western Han Dynasty had lovers of their same sex.

This isn't limited to China but can be seen throughout human history.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yes, I believe you. Sodomy has been around forever. Some ancient socities accepted it and treated it as normal sex. Of course it was outlawed in 1740 in China.

By calling it a "fad" I didn't mean it was new, that homosexuality was a new thing that will go away soon. I used the term to show how different it is from the black Civil Rights movement.

Once again, I can see where the idea that the two movements are similar comes from, but they are also very different.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Actually, the point of my post has little to do with the civil rights movement per say.

It has to do with the fact that until recently it was "okay" to discriminate against blacks.

However, due to legislation and overall societal pressure, it is no longer acceptable to discriminate against blacks.

Now, it is acceptable to discriminate against gays. I use past examples of laws against interracial marriage juxtaposed against current laws against same sex marriage, showing the similarities and justification of these laws.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

If you dont like what i am saying please choose your word in a respect manner . And if you try to convice me that being a gay is alright you will never convince me as long as i live.

So you've made up your mind, and closed it. That's very, very sad.

It's also what happened when thousands of people said more or less the same thing about being black.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Very nice post! I have to disagree, I feel middle-eastern people are the new blacks.

You are So right ... I have a bunch of friends that are Pakistanian and Indian Looking .... I am not even sure exactly what they are .. doesn't really matter to me at all .. but anyhow ... You are Definately RIGHT .

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

If you dont like what i am saying please choose your word in a respect manner . And if you try to convice me that being a gay is alright you will never convince me as long as i live.

It's also what happened when thousands of people said more or less the same thing about being black.

Homosexuality is a chocie a person makes for example

you choose te person you want to sleep with not something inborn .

If you married will you sleep with other women is the same as if you striaght will you want to be gay ? Its a choice is you could see

As for Black they been discremenated by many for years but those are people born black its not like they are white and one day they woke up black.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
As for Black they been discremenated by many for years but those are people born black its not like they are white and one day they woke up black.

You owe me a new keyboard. Dr. Pepper burns when it comes out of your nose.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf

You owe me a new keyboard. Dr. Pepper burns when it comes out of your nose.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sorry, it's just that I am a very visual person and the visual image I had of someone waking up and discovering that they are black was just funny. I only wish some of the racist I know could actually have that experience.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Sorry, it's just that I am a very visual person and the visual image I had of someone waking up and discovering that they are black was just funny. I only wish some of the racist I know could actually have that experience.

But racist is when people hate different.

In the Quran is writen that if God wanted use to be one type of people he could but God want judge people on there action and how thy work with different people .

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I thought I'd share the views of the late Arizona senator on the subject you so eloquently brought up. Of course, Barry Goldwater--who used to be considered an arch-conservative (until the center moved even further right)--is on the record as being very much in support of the "normalcy," quite frankly, of gay people. I thought his quote on the forces behind the growing religious myopia in our land might be helpful here:

BARRY GOLDWATER ( in the Congressional Record ), September 16, 1981:
"There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.'

Conservative Arizona Senator / 1964 Republican presidential nominee
Barry Goldwater

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Homosexuality is a chocie a person makes..

Sorry...no it's not!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche

Sorry...no it's not!

Yes it is a person could choose who he wants to sleep with

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche

Sorry...no it's not!

You are BOTH right. No one can control sexual attraction. A person has a choice in their actions not their attraction. If I slept with everyone I thought was sexually attractive, I'd still be in bed.

Now the question is: Should someone be sentenced to a lifetime without sex because their choice of partner is offensive to you? I am a Christian. I believe that God loves all. If He is offended by homosexuality, then let Him handle it. Christians are taught to love the sinners not the sin.

Homosexuals are real people. They are in our world, our city, our school, and even our family. If God can love unconditionally, I think maybe we should try and do the same.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

So you are saying that at some point you were sexually attracted to members of your own gender as well, and then "chose" only to be attracted to members of the opposite gender? How old were you when you made the conscious choice to be heterosexual? At what point did you "choose" to be attracted only to the opposite gender?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Seriously though if homosexuality is a choice then obviously so is heterosexuality. Funny but I dont remember being offered a choice in my sexual preferences. My nether regions always seemed to march to their own drum and never needed me to tell them who to be attracted to. It all just sort of sorted itself out when I reached puberty. There was no day when I actually had to think about what my sexual preference was going to be. No offense but I think all the people who believe homosexuality is a choice are closet bisexuals (at a minimum) who have "chosen" to ignore their gay leanings.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Heterosexuality is naturally, the way we were designed. That's why you wouldn't think of it as a choice to be heterosexual. It isn't natural to walk backwards (look how our legs are built) but if a bunch of people started choosing to do it, then you may look at it as a choice.

Whether or not there is some sort of gene that causes people to be attracted to members of the same sex, or if it is just a random attraction that can happen to anyone, the choice that EZ mentioned was the choice of action. Obviously, action is a choice. Once again, if you were born with a strange innate desire to walk backwards all the time, you still make the choice to actually do it.

The real debate comes dealing with legislation. If an increasing number of people want to walk backwards, should we change the law to accomadate them and make the world an easier place to walk backwards? The debate comes when a deviant choice gains enough popularity to need a solution.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Oblivion]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

Homosexuality is a chocie a person makes for example

you choose te person you want to sleep with not something inborn .

If you married will you sleep with other women is the same as if you striaght will you want to be gay ? Its a choice is you could see

That's one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read - infidelity is suddenly equated to being homosexual?! Let's assume it IS a choice - again, I ask why this is so wrong? Exactly who is harmed by a monogamous relationship, whether it's homo- or hetero-sexual?

Perhaps the real point is that there shouldn't be ANY prejudice against homosexuality - just as there shouldn't be any based upon race, religion, etc etc.

But you've closed your mind off to any possibility of acceptance, in your own words. That's honestly what I find so sad.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Enkel,

Excellent contribution!

I find it amazing how relevant it is to today's political climate.

I appreciate it and think it adds an interesting perspective.

-O

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Seriously though if homosexuality is a choice then obviously so is heterosexuality. Funny but I dont remember being offered a choice in my sexual preferences. My nether regions always seemed to march to their own drum and never needed me to tell them who to be attracted to. It all just sort of sorted itself out when I reached puberty. There was no day when I actually had to think about what my sexual preference was going to be. No offense but I think all the people who believe homosexuality is a choice are closet bisexuals (at a minimum) who have "chosen" to ignore their gay leanings.

Would you make a law for legaliseing to steal and sin?

Both polticain and relgious people disagree on same sex marraige .

Why do have to marry in the chruch after the know its wrong in christianity and other relgion is wrong. Its like a theif working in a bank.
Like most people in the state sleep with couple of women many time get some kids and after a few year maybe marrige

AT THE END THE CHURCH DISAGREE YOU DONT EVEN IF THERE IS MARIAGE GAY WAS RIGHT BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO MARRY AT A CHURCH

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join