It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What special forces units are operating in Iraq?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I already know that Navy SEALs, Force Recon, and Army Special ops are operating there, but I was wondering if any other countries special forces are operating there. I'm sure the british SAS are working there, can you guys give me list of what other SF units are there? And of course their operations if you can find them, thanks blue cell.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Australian SAS were the first in. I'm not sure to what capacity they are operating at the moment. I do know that they were deployed recently to track down Douglas Wood who is being held hostage.

Defence Media Release: Australian SAS

Operation Falconer

1 SAS Squadron.

RAR (commandos).

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the info dude!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Depends on the various ratations and some units are grabbed to re enforce others.

But to my knowledge so far since 2002 august thats when the war really started.

SAS, SBS, SASR, DELTA, GREEN BERETS 5th,10th + elements of 7th, ISREALIS various units,FRENCH (suprise!, been there for along time)

Various others including CIA action teams, alot of free lance companys who basically are special forces, british,australia,new zealanders, american,canadian,french,south africans,south americans.

From my friends and family over there, it seems everyones there, so i would image its quite hard work out who`s free lance and whos not.

hope that helps.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by owell]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Dude were are you getting this info?! I mean I can understand SAS, SBS, SASR, Delta Force, Green Berets, and NZAS. But I don't think Israel SF units would be operating there with the public knowing that is. Also Canada opposed the war, or maybe your misunderstanding what war I'm talking about. I'm talking about the Gulf War II, just to clarify.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
To answer your question.

1) Friends and family.

2) The isrealis where mainly operating in the western desert( maybe wrong long time ago i was told that) but the isrealis are very intermingled with us troops as we speak, mainly when a big action on, you have to take into account most isrealis speak arabic, not many americans do.

3) I stated "alot of free lance companys who basically are special forces, british,australia,new zealanders, american,canadian,french,south africans,south americans"

answers its self i think.

You have to understand not everything is as its seems when we are talking about special forces, there not boogie men or supermen, but there use is sometimes stealthed shall we say.

For all you and i know, the russians special forces maybe operated there, but as it wouldnt be good for Vlad to side with Bush infront of his people, he would use a front company. say for emample "Russian white knights guardians super dooper Vip protection Ltd, or russian securties inc"

As a brit, i know of many examples where our special forces were employed under some strange companies, its no different for any other country out there.

Hope that clarifies things

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I also think that Poland's special forces are there. I think they were running around with the army special forces at the being. And now I'm not so sure.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Dude were are you getting this info?! I mean I can understand SAS, SBS, SASR, Delta Force, Green Berets, and NZAS. But I don't think Israel SF units would be operating there with the public knowing that is. Also Canada opposed the war, or maybe your misunderstanding what war I'm talking about. I'm talking about the Gulf War II, just to clarify.

You have no way of proving disproving who/why they are there.Basically if you can think of a unit it maybe there/maynot.Apparently USA Recon CIA force omega32nd Assination team x ray charle boys with big tools are there and yes they really do excist or do they??Me to know and you not to cos it`s classified DUH DUH DUH Hey.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

yes canada is opposed to war but you can be sure the JTF is probably operating in some form or another(every country will have their intel ppl in iraq just as a matter of course) these units have unlimited budgets(especially when they are gathering intel,and there are friendly troops on the ground) you can't really expect ppl to have proof of SF force movements,that would countermine the point of covert ops lol!!!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by howie0

you can't really expect ppl to have proof of SF force movements,that would countermine the point of covert ops lol!!!

Yeah I know, what I meant by what SF units are operating in Iraq is the ones we know for sure. Like the navy SEALs.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by howie0

you can't really expect ppl to have proof of SF force movements,that would countermine the point of covert ops lol!!!

Yeah I know, what I meant by what SF units are operating in Iraq is the ones we know for sure. Like the navy SEALs.

If you ring the Pentagon and ask them for details they will tell you there classified and SEALS don`t excist

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I didn't expect such a small countries SFs to be operating in Iraq, either way thats good we have a big special forces presence in there. Just what we need in a war like this.Romanian scouting platoons in Iraq!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The Australian Special Air Service (SASR) is the best and most widely respected special forces unit in the world - The yanks are always calling on them to do their dirty work... The Australian SAS was in Iraq atleast 24-hours before Bush declared we were going in... Anyone here read a book called "Sleeping With your Ears Open" by Gary McKay ?

Thats about the aussies in the Vietnam war, its a good read...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
The Australian Special Air Service (SASR) is the best and most widely respected special forces unit in the world - The yanks are always calling on them to do their dirty work...

The Brits say the same thing about their SAS...so do we Kiwis about ours. At the end of the day each has its specialities.

As pointed out by a previous poster...most of the time we (the ordinary citizen) are not privy to which SF are active in an area. Compromises security and all that. However, when you come from a small country like NZ and have family members/friends who belong to those groups...it doesn't take a genius to figure it out when 'cousin so-and-so' disappears for a year that they are active again.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   

The yanks are always calling on them to do their dirty work... The Australian SAS was in Iraq atleast 24-hours before Bush declared we were going in... Anyone here read a book called "Sleeping With your Ears Open" by Gary McKay ?

What are you talking about??? How do you know this? because some guy wrote it in a book?

I can sort of understand making a statement towards a unit being there....but to say that units were not there before other units is crazy talk. At least when it comes to this kind of stuff, most of thier stuff is classified anyways...so how would you know if they were not there??? huh??

Im not talking about Battalion size units...that's pretty easy to find, just go online and find where 1/5 has been. But SF units??? You are not in a position to say who was or was not there first...neither am I.

[edit on 10/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
We have had too many silly SF groupie threads here at ATS. But I just thought I'd post a link to a 60 minute report I remember seeing a while ago containing a comment from U.S Maj. Gen. Frank Hagenbeck.

Who Dares Wins

FRANK HAGENBECK: The Australian SAS displayed those kinds of things that make them the elite, in my view, of small-unit infantrymen throughout the world. And that's an autonomy, independence, tenacity that they will never ever be defeated.

Sporty:

Our questionable tactics in Iraq

Australia's soldiers acted pre-emptively in the Iraq war. The matter needs public debate, writes Tony Kevin.

Just days after the Iraq war officially ended, The Age reported (May 10) that Australian troops had fought the first battles, killing and capturing Iraqi soldiers a day before US President George Bush declared the invasion had begun.

This remarkable true story went unnoticed in Australia, yet its strategic implications are crucial. Australian SAS troops initiated pre-emptive combat in western Iraq on the evening of March 18 (Iraq time). The force, previously secretly inserted into Iraq, attacked Iraqi positions in the first hours of darkness, 16 hours after Bush's 48-hour ultimatum to Saddam to cede power. Washington was determined to protect Israel against potential Iraqi Scud missile attack during the pre-invasion phase. This crucial task fell to Australia's SAS. The US had admired how effective the SAS had been in Afghanistan in operating behind enemy lines. They wanted the SAS for this job, and US-Australian operational planning began in mid-2002.

How these SAS pre-emptive operations were disguised by Washington and Canberra is crucial to this story.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I didnt say that Australians were not the first ones there......
I was implying that more the likely the CIA spooks or some other
special unit went through Iraq before them. Maybe to gather
intel or do whatever it is the do. They could have been US, Aust, UK,
hell they could have been Canadian for all we know...I doubt it though

Sorry If it came out the wrong way......

I can sort of understand making a statement towards a unit being there....but to say that units were not there before other units is crazy talk

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
ya guys must be talking about the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Division. they usually ahead of American or other special forces in Iraq before the main invasion force.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Just learned that the Intergrated SF battalion of Romania, was operating in Iraq, for extra security during the january 2005 elections. Here is the link www.geocities.com... you can find where it says that at the bottom of the page. Also Delta Force, and GROM were present, although I already knew GROM was operating in Iraq.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
USAF Combat Controllers are operating in Afghanistan and Iraq with the SF guys. They're the FAC for the CAS birds. Yeah I know, lots of people say they aren't "REAL" SF guys, because they don't do the same things the other units do, but when the bullets are flying and the birds are rolling in, they're everyones best friend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join