It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Indian Sphinx

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Guys this is not entirely my research but i found while surfing over the net

Similar to the sphinx in Egypt there seems to be the occurence of such creatures in Indian mythology.

It is a fact that in olden times there used to be contact between the ancient civilizations of India and egypt, greece and rome.

the link to the story

www.sulekha.com...

pics can be found here

www.geocities.com...
www.geocities.com...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
That was really interesting -- I never thought about a Sphinx being anywhere other than Egypt. The article said that the come in pairs -- do you have any pictures that show a pair - I would love to see how they represent a female Sphinx.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
here you go justme1640 , this is how a female sphinx is depicted in this particular temple

www.geocities.com...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks, I had figured they would have the face be female but I never thought about the Sphinx having other female body parts. So what I was picturing in my mind was completely different -- The real one is much cooler than what I imagined. I have to say thanks again -- this was an interesting topic and have I said before (oh maybe once or twice
) I just love learning something new!

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Also reminds me of the ancient Lamassu, another winged animal/human concoction which came out of ancient mythology from the Assyrian empire. Here is a link to a picture of one.

webed.vw.cc.va.us...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hum...hese creatures all look very much like the descriptions of a Cheribum, a high order of angel, in the bible. (I don't know the particular scripture) Except, Cheribum are supposed to have a double set of wings...

So does that mean that the "classical" and Egyptian sphinix are "fallen angels"...?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
here you go CaptainJailew

this is something in a buddhist monastery not exactly a sphinx but close to the pic you posted

www.cbmphoto.co.uk...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Strange how cultures so far apart still manage to create the same sort of mythical creatures. Very, very strange, thanks for that link arc.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
by the way since you went on to show the assyrian sculpture CaptainJailew, guess why cultures far apart managed similar sculptures, there was a strong connection between the Assyrians and India,read through this

www.iranchamber.com...

new topics

top topics

join