It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Bible make sure there will never be another Prophet?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm not saying I believe in the two people being mentioned lately here on ATS -- the Prophet Yahweh in the UFO forum or Maitreya - or any others you might think of currently - but does the Bible make sure that there will never be another Prophet?

What made me wonder about this was when anyone is discussed people immediately
start quoting Bible passages that mention False Prophets. Does anyone ever wonder if they are so busy quoting these False Prophet statements that they may miss an actual real Prophet?

I am not knocking anyone's religion -- but I have always wondered about this.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Other true prphets as in the Christianity prophets?

I know that two prophets will appear right before the end....''Elijah(aka Elias) Enoch''.these are mentioned as the two witnesses...'''I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord
(Malachi 4:5)
And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophecy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.(Rev 11:4)...These have the power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy-And if any man will hurt them, he must be killed .And when they have finished their testimony , the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and kill them.And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt , where also our Lord was crucified.And after three days and half, the spirit of life..shall enter into them....
(Reve 11:2-8;11)

Why wonder of a true prophet?
If one follows what Christ said ......He will come to judge the living and the dead.....and then it's the end....
Alot of people beleive that Christ will come to earth to set up an Earthly Kingdom.......Christ said''My Kingdom is not of this WORLD''......which means just that!
If anything, the Antichrist and his false prophet will assume EARTHLY POWER ...they will give MAN what he wishes to satisfy his earthly desires and not the coming eternal kingdom.....
When Christ was on earth......He spoke about Loving your enemy, doing good to those that hate you and to prepare oneself for the coming kingdom.......which is not of THIS WORLD.....
Christ avoided ''out there miracles'' because this can also be performed by the demons....For they also ''tempted'' Christ while he was in the desert.....also many fathers and saints speak of demons and how they tempt people with their lies and false miracles that lead man to emptiness and nothing more.....like a magic show..once it's over, then there is nothing else...

Do good ,Be kind and pray ...

Another thing...The Lord Jesus Christ said that the servants of the Antichrist shall show great signs and wonders; in asmuch that, if it were possible they shall deceive the very elect(Matt 24:24)
Saint John the Theologian says that one of these servants of the Antichrist, his forerunner , shall do especially great wonders(Rev 13:13-15 )
And the Apostle Paul says that the coming of the Antichrist shall be with all power and signs and lying wonders (11 Thess 2:9)

QUOTE////Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, writing 16 centuries ago, describes what is happening now in the Church:

Formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.
For men have fallen away from the truth, and have itching ears. Is it a plausible discourse?
all listen to it gladly.
Is it a word of correction?
all turn away from it.
Most have departed from right words, and rather choose the evil, than desire the good.
This therefore is the falling away,
and the enemy is soon to be looked for: and meanwhile he has in part begun to send forth his own forerunners, that he may then come prepared upon the prey
. Look therefore to thyself, O man, and make safe thy soul.
The Church now charges thee before the Living God; she declares to thee the things concerning Antichrist before they arrive.
Whether they will happen in thy time we know not,
or whether they will happen after thee we know not; but it is well that, knowing these things, thou shouldest make thyself secure beforehand.

Also quote//sn’t this what St Paul wrote about to his disciple Timothy?
“ For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers,
having itching ears;
and they shall turn away their ears from the truth,
and shall be turned unto fables.” (II Tim 4:3-4)

quote//Saint Paul tells us in his second letter to the Thessalonians, that Christ cannot come “... except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition.” (II The 2:3)
That man of sin is no other than the Abomination of Desolation, also known as Antichrist.
The Lord Jesus confirms this when He tells us, “When the Son of man cometh, shall He find faith on the earth?” (Luke 15:8)

www.belowtopsecret.com...

www.fatheralexander.org...

So one cannot wait for the prophets to tell them of Christ is coming.....because when Christ does come......and the WORLD will now...at that time the resurrection of the dead and the judgement will begin......
Antichrist comes FIRST AND DECEIVES AS MANY AS HE CAN...

I.X
helen
hope that helps..
sorry bout the long post..

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
helen thank you for your well thought out answer but I still have to wonder

helen670 says
I know that two prophets will appear right before the end....''Elijah(aka Elias) Enoch''.these are mentioned as the two witnesses...'''I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord

everyone immediately says "False Prophet" when something happens or someone presents themselves as a Prophet -- isn't it possible that those 2 will appear and everyone will say that about them?

I'm sorry if I'm not clear in what I am saying -- and I am not directing this at you -- but using "you" in a global sense.

Aren't you afraid you will be declaring everyone as a "False Prophet" and miss the actual one who is "Real"?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
hi justme....

I know what your saying.....that is why Christ said to always be ready .....for we dont know if tomorrow will ever come....therefore we should be ready with death on our mind.....I know this sounds horrible, but if we all thought of tomorrow never comes(Is that a film?) anyway.....

When one thinks of life as an enjoyment only ,one also forgets that the enjoyment will or does not last long....this again depends on what one makes of enjoyment.

The two witnesses will actually point the Antichrist out ....will ACCUSE him of being a false Messiah .

Personally I dont look for any prophets...for I know what I need to do is to pray and put my hope and faith in Christ...I use to look out for particular miracles eg...U.F.O'S were a great fav and I endlessly defended them to anyone who disagreed.
What did I learn......basically nothing!
Actually got a pretty sore neck looking up at the skies day in day out......
In all that time I wasted waiting for u.f.o's to appear, I could have used my time in more efficient ways........

Justme......actually you have a good point there.....quote/everyone immediately says "False Prophet" when something happens or someone presents themselves as a Prophet -- isn't it possible that those 2 will appear and everyone will say that about them?

Yes there will be many who will go against these two prophets.......but they will not speak about eathly things(like the coming false prophet and the antichrist who will give man wordly satisfaction of the flesh).....they will testify about the end of the world that will soon be and that judgement day is coming.....
They will not use pretentious miracles that have no meaning....quote/''they have power to shut the heavens from rain in those days''.....I guess because the Antichrist will try to have everyone submit to him through the earth eg..nature and nature gives us food /no food we die or submit to the one that supposedly will give it to us/Quote/Man does not live by bread alone...Christ said first prayer..then food comes after eg..Man tasted of the fruit that he was told not to/God gave the commandment to fast of this particular tree....sorry going off the subject here....

Their testimony will only proclaim the coming of the Antichrist and the end of the world......then after they have finished they will be killed where Christ was crucified and Adam's skull is .

I just hope that if this happens in my time, I will not look for any signs with miracles or events surounding the end of times......I just hope that I will be in prayer .
helen

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
God tells the jews

Deu 13:1 "If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,
Deu 13:2 and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, 'Let us go after other gods,' which you have not known, 'and let us serve them,'
Deu 13:3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

So this is saying what you said about false prophets. Gods prophets will not tell you to turn from God.

Any prophet who disagrees with the bible is a liar and is not from God. The key is to test it against the bible. Even the false prophet in Revelation will do signs and wonders. But it will also say to worship the image.
In the 10 commandments we see God saying to not even make images.
Anyone who teaches otherwise is a false prophet.

EDIT TO ADD:
Yes, there will be future prophets

Joe 2:28 "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by jake1997]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Jake the prophets mentioned in the Old Testament were chosen of God because they ''HUMBLED '' themselves to be WORTHY of PROPHECY..and if we today put OURSELVES in that position of being WORTHY , we are being ignorant of what Christ said ....that we are to follow men of His chosen ones.....we cannot simply beleive and TRUST in our minds that WE are WORTHY to receive such an experience as to those Prophets of whom prophecied about the coming of the Messiah....who is Jesus Christ.

To actually beleive that we are worthy of such preference we are only fooling and beleiving in a lie.....which is exactly what the Devil wants us to beleive....that we are ''Humble'' enough to be in the position of men whose lives consisted of PRAYER AND FASTING.
How can we ''sinners'' be considered to be called prophets when we know that we are not worthy.
All the Prophets and Saints of God BELITTLED themselves and spoke of being not worthy to receive.....and because their PRAYER was heard God granted them this GIFT of His own accord and not of the Prophets wanting.

To place ourselves in their shoes ......we are actually being VAIN and PROUD to be considered of such worthiness.

I understand that in the last days many will speak of PROPHECY and because they trust in their OWN MIND and not of what the Saints and Prophets of the Bible say....only put themselves in danger of accepting the Antichrist.......that is why in Revelation it says that ''EVEN THE ELECT ''will be deceived.
Why does it say ''EVEN THE ELECT''?
Simply because the devil knows that in order to make one beleive in a LIE ...a LIE gets mixed with the TRUTH and to a man not knowing the Scriptures of how the early Fathers have interpreted with MUCH PRAYER AND FASTING how else can he deceive but the ELECT of God......

The Devil deceived Eve by simply mixing LIES and truth at the garden of Eden......he said you will become like gods...meaning that they would understand knowledge of evil and good....but he didnt quite tell them all the TRUTh..that once this happens(eat of the tree).... .that they simlpy will die a spiritual death which will seperate them from God.....and it happened they became like gods ....as in they had free will and they chose to disobey the one commandment 'do not eat'' (fasting)....so they received their future punishment...man was to work and provide for his family....and the woman was to give birth with pain.....but He also said that a Woman (theotokos) was going to give birth to the Son of God who will conquer DEATH and as it was said, it happened....

Jake you keep on going on about the ''IMAGE' thing......
God was prefigured in the Old testament....because He did not show Himself as man......but When the SON OF MAN came....He allowed Himself to be VISIBLE to all......this image became our focus to the heavenly things above...
God COMMANDED for placement of two cherabims to be put in the tabernicle....and so this is also an ''IMAGE'....do you mean to tell me that God was wrong?
quote//they simply remind us and point to the Kingdom of God. They are often referred to as "picture windows to Heaven".
In other words, you will not only hear the Gospel in an Orthodox Church, you will see it! The icons act as "tools" in our spiritual worship and witness to the sanctification of all creation and matter that occurred when Christ Jesus, the Son of God, took on human flesh. The Divine/Human Person of Jesus became the living icon of God (John 10:30; 14:6-11) .

holy icons are not simply objects of art, but are constant and joyful reminders of God's presence in his church, his home and in his life......others want images of 'rock stars'...truly they are reminded of the image presented......but an Image of heavenly things only reminds us of God and His people...

One has to be simply an idiot to think that the'' icon'' art or the wood or whatever type of frame is what is worshipped!

www.stmichaelgoc.org...

Jake satan himself beleives in God.....and he continues his deceit into the world!
I.X
helen

The image that the Antichrist will make people worship will be his own on EARTH.....IN A WORLDLY MANNER!
The Antichrist will make himself KING OF THE EARTH ...to simply be worshipped as king and live in this world.......not speaking of heavenly things as Christ our Lord did and taught the Apostles......that's why we need the teachings of the fathers ....simply because satan has spread LIES and goes out to deceive the Whole world.......and that is why God shall send a strong delusion....QUOTE//
''For this cause God shall send them a strong delusion, that they should beleive a lie: that they all might be damned who beleived not the truth , but had pleasure in unrighteousness (11Thess. 2:11-12)

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
To be honest Helen,

I find your posts long winded and I only skim them at MOST .
The question asked was simple. I gave the simple bible answer.

In as short a post as possilbe, did you find something wrong with my answer?

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, I have enjoyed reading both answers -- Helen puts a lot of thought and research into hers - which I admit means I have to read them more than once
and yours was short and sweet -- but both of them gave me pause to think which is what I wanted to do and I wanted others to do.

Now, that said, have I changed my mind -- probably not -- I still think that so many people will be pointing to things written in the Bible about "False" Prophets that there is a good chance they won't see and recognize the "Real" Prophets. I don't see anyone I would call a Prophet running around now and it would take a lot to make me feel that someone fits that bill - I will have to rely on my mind and heart to make that determination as I feel that God does want us do that.

I wonder at times if Christ were to come back now in modern garb if people would be so busy saying "False" Prophet that they would miss him completely.

Oh and I don't think that my questioning things takes me any further from God than someone who just accepts things. I actually think God would rather have someone who questions things in trying to understand than someone who will say that "It says in this passage of the Bible ....."

Can you tell I was the child who drove my parents and teachers crazy with my "Why?" questions?

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
Deu 13:2 and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, 'Let us go after other gods,' which you have not known, 'and let us serve them,'

Yikes! So Paul was a false prophet when he said to worship Jesus?

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Well, I have enjoyed reading both answers -- Helen puts a lot of thought and research into hers - which I admit means I have to read them more than once and yours was short and sweet -- but both of them gave me pause to think which is what I wanted to do and I wanted others to do

Its when the dogma of the catholic church over rides the bible that I tire of reading.

Bob
The sun in the sky is one single thing.

You see because it gives light.
You are warm because it gives warmth
and it is also a physical object in space.

Just as you can sense the sun in 3 different ways, so too is there a
Son
Holy Spirit
God

The 3 are one...
I

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Son
Holy Spirit
God

The 3 are one...
I

But at the time of Moses/Abraham it was a very strict "The One is 1". VEEERRRY strict. Even Jesus, he never talked about trinity or 3 is 1 God. That all came later, and it didn't match up with the God that Abraham/Moses had talked about.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Jake it's not that i totally disagree with your answers....but in order to understandthe bible you have to read it as a whole...you cannot just take out a verse and interpret that only.In the long run you will come out with cotradictions and thats how the posts about contadictions in the bible come out here.

If one has not the Church then all sorts of contradictions come out when trying to explain the Bible and its meaning.

Babloyi//In the Old Testament there are many, many passages about proof of God being pre-figured as the ''Trinity'. Jake, for example gave a short and good answer to those that simply beleive in the New Testament...but many want to be shown where abouts in the Bible this can be found.
The early Fathers though, have given us many writings on the ''Trinity'' and where to look for them....Especially in the Old Testament there are prefigurations of Christ being born and present with God the Father.....Let us make man in our image....an image of God was not present before God decided to take flesh and become man.

Justme 1640/ there is nothing wrong with asking questions if they truly come from the heart...reading scripture is good when we humbly accept the written Word of God....it only addas to the Word of God being the truth.
However when we search the scriptures based on our MINDS thinking and interpret scripture on our own accord then we may find contradictions to what they actually mean.

Christ IS NOT COMING BACK TO EARTH........HE WILL NOT SIT AS GOD AND RULE FROM AN EARTHLY THRONE.....this will be done by the Antichrist.
IX
helen

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
What made me wonder about this was when anyone is discussed people immediately
start quoting Bible passages that mention False Prophets. Does anyone ever wonder if they are so busy quoting these False Prophet statements that they may miss an actual real Prophet?

That is why a person must read and study the Bible and know what it says, and to have accepted Christ. Keep seeking God and He will keep you informed as to what is truth and what are lies.

The Bible does tell us in Hebrews 1:1-2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken to us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things.........

You need to know what the Bible says so that when someone talks about it you will know whether they are true or not. If the Holy Spirit lives in you He will confirm the message or tell you it's false.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
that is why in Revelation it says that ''EVEN THE ELECT ''will be deceived.
Why does it say ''EVEN THE ELECT''?
Simply because the devil knows that in order to make one beleive in a LIE ...a LIE gets mixed with the TRUTH and to a man not knowing the Scriptures of how the early Fathers have interpreted with MUCH PRAYER AND FASTING how else can he deceive but the ELECT of God......

It's actually in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark where it is says that if possible the elect would be deceived. It also says in them that the elect's days will be shortened(they are taken to heaven before the tribulation period to miss the great delusion of THE LIE).

Not all the early church leaders spoke the truth. Corruption and deception began shortly after the church formed. Look at Ananias and Sapphira.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
I wonder at times if Christ were to come back now in modern garb if people would be so busy saying "False" Prophet that they would miss him completely.

BUT...........Jesus Christ isn't going to come back in modern garb. I have heard other people ask this same question. And here is the answer. Jesus came the first time and was born and lived like us(He was still God also) and died for our sins and rose again. That's a done deal. He's not going to come back as a baby again like some movies and shows portray. He is going to return again but this time to rule the world. I stress agaain people need to study the Bible for themselves and see what it says, and hopefully accept Christ in the process.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Jake the prophets mentioned in the Old Testament were chosen of God because they ''HUMBLED '' themselves to be WORTHY of PROPHECY..and if we today put OURSELVES in that position of being WORTHY , we are being ignorant of what Christ said ....that we are to follow men of His chosen ones.....we cannot simply beleive and TRUST in our minds that WE are WORTHY to receive such an experience as to those Prophets of whom prophecied about the coming of the Messiah....who is Jesus Christ.

It may seem like I am picking on you helen but I'm trying to figure out what Jake said that made you bring in this humble questioning of him.

When I read 1 John chapter 5 you get alot of stuff from it. 1 John 5:13 says "these things I have written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may KNOW that you have eternal life...........

The Bible says we can know things about God and things concerning our relationship with Him. God wants us to have the faith/confidence/trust of knowing that we are saved and we can understand our meaning and purpose in life and that we can literally know Him.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Christ IS NOT COMING BACK TO EARTH........HE WILL NOT SIT AS GOD AND RULE FROM AN EARTHLY THRONE.....this will be done by the Antichrist.
IX
helen

This statement denies among others Zechariah 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives......

and

Acts 4:11 ..........this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Son
Holy Spirit
God

The 3 are one...
I

But at the time of Moses/Abraham it was a very strict "The One is 1". VEEERRRY strict. Even Jesus, he never talked about trinity or 3 is 1 God. That all came later, and it didn't match up with the God that Abraham/Moses had talked about.

But even in Daniel we have the Son of God walking in the fire.

Helen,

I dont want to go down the image road again. It leads me back to praying in front of mary statues.
We can bring it up in Croats thread?
Go ahead and make a post there about the images and include how these two are different

(People will pray in front of an image of the beast...but will be praying to the beast

People pray in front of an image of mary...but are really praying to mary

Both will be asking the same things. Blessings/protections and venerating at the same time

how is one idolitry and the other not?)
Please start a post that answers that for me in Croats thread so that we dont take over this one

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

But even in Daniel we have the Son of God walking in the fire.

Please, continue. Where? You said that you would make a thread showing Jesus in the OT. You could go into greater detail there too.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Dbrandt.....

that even the elect will be decieved...means that if the deception and the tortures that will be occuring WE will not be able to handle them and so we will bow down to the Antichrist.
Also when Christ spoke He spoke alot of Parables,not all the parables of Christs teachings were understood by the Apostles...... when someone who knew the scriptures(Old Testament) they were in exact 'words' of His teachings!

Index of Messianic Prophecies....
a) Prophecies by content .....
www.orthodoxphotos.com...

) Prophecies in order of Place in Scripture...
www.orthodoxphotos.com...

Scroll down the page on the above links ..there are many more on Old Testament pre-figurations on God became man....by the Old Testament Prophets which have been fullfilled about the Messiah.

on the prophets of Elijah and Enoch...
quote/Just as the Holy Baptizer of Christ, John,
heralded the first coming of Christ,
when He came meekly, as a servant,
so the glorious Elias will herald the second coming of Christ,
when He will come in al power and majesty,
as a King, swiftly, from the Mount of Olives.
The church knows that both Enoch and Elias will come back to the earth in it's very last days, and preach Christ. They will be slain by the antichrist, and lay in the streets for three days, after which the Lord will come and usher in the New, unwaning age.
www.orthodox.net...
The principle that hierarchs can meet and formulate doctrinal and disciplinary statements and resolutions that are the will of God and accepted by the entire church was established in the apostolic period with the first RECORDED council,
which was reported by St. Luke in his Acts,
with the famous statement which has become an anthem of sorts for the Orthodox: "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us" (Acts 15:28).
www.orthodox.net...

Now on Christ re appearing for a second time on earth....
Quote////"Seek those things which are above," the holy Apostle Paul thus exhorts us, "where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth" (Col. 3:1-2).

n the Thousand Year Reign (Chiliasm).......very good example on the 1,000 yrs of reign.....which is NOW the age we are living in.
www.orthodoxinfo.com...

St. Peter admonishes us and reminds us of our own frailty and the sure reliability of the church when he tells us: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." (2 Peter 1:20)

When Christ comes He will do so to Judge......for the resurrection of the dead will happen......
He will come and all the world will see.
He will come with the sign of Man......this sign of man is the CROSS.....with which destroyed the 'curse' of the old Serpant....beginning in the garden of Eden.....(hope im making sense)

Ummm it's a bit late(as usual)4:20 am and i better get some sleep...
i'll try and aswer some more of your questions tomorrow.........or should I say....look for the answers ..with plenty of help .
I.X
helen

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join