It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nine Inch Nails And MTV Clash Over The Use of President Bush Image

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hey "Call On Me" is art
If she was lying on a crash mat with George Bush's image on it I dont think I would of even noticed

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Whether it is political, economic, or cultural censorship,

it is still censorship.

The termination of someone elses expression based on your concerns.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Censorship, official prohibition or restriction of any type of expression believed to threaten the political, social, or moral order. It may be imposed by governmental authority, local or national, by a religious body, or occasionally by a powerful private group.

This is not "official" prohibition or restriction. If I am making a pamphlet on water conservation and you want to add a paragraph about a litter of puppies you have for sale and I say "no," that is not censorship.

MTV's awards show is the pamphlet, NIN is MTV's brother, and George Bush is the litter of puppies. Uhh, yeah.

Zip

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

censorship - the act of censoring

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Slank, your definition implies that the show has already been produced and the MTV people are going back through it and taking out objectionable parts. In reality, the show hasn't been produced yet and they are simply excluding a controversial segment of it.

Zip

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Heres my vote on the state of things...

MTV= always lame and stupid NIN =not lame and stupid

Trust me Trent Reznor was most likely looking for a way out of this... (just a hunch)

[edit on 30-5-2005 by GArnold]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
GA, no argument here.

The fact that Trent Reznor, a true artist, would even associate himself with the imitation music station (MTV) shocks me.

MTV was a pop culture phenomenon. That ended as soon as they said "hey we're a pop culture phenomenon". Now all they do is force shows spotlighting braindead people living together on an audience that wouldn't mind hearing some music. I stopped watching their brain-destroying programming years ago and am surprised people still pay attention to them. The death of the greatest music channel ever occurred in the 1990s. Reznor knows this... I wonder why he bothered collaborating with them in 2005 to begin with. What a waste.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
MTV: Real musak for real sheep! Where it's ok to let your 12 year old watch explicit dancing and sexual lyrics that would make the author of the Kama Sutra blush but not something that might offend our president or our shareholders. Buy our products!

NIN is great. Still relevant after all these years. They should do a double feature with System of a Down. Play Bring Your Own Bombs in front of Bush's mug.

"Why don't presidents fight the war, why do they always send the poor?"

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I hold System Of A Down in very high regard, have done since about 2000. Fantastic band.

I think the only thing ive listend to in respect of NIN was whilst playing Quake

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is not a "free speach" or constitutional issue. Sure, Nine Inch Nails has the right to say whatever is on their minds. However, MTV has the right to control what appears on their programming. If they don't want something on their tv program then they have every right to keep it off.

This has nothing to do with the message itself, as I'm sure MTV wouldn't allow NIN to perform in front of a giant Hillary Clinton picture, either. Please, lets not turn this into a "MTV is a bunch of Commies!" thread. They're a legitimate business and they are just doing their job of trying to make profits for their shareholders.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
they are just doing their job of trying to make profits for their shareholders.

And that's the attitude that keeps myself and millions of others who actually love music from watching MTVs modern burlesque show. It started off as an outlet that focused on the music and the medium of music videos. Now theres no worry about being creative or cutting edge, its just 23 hours of stupid reality tv and 1 hour featuring the singing of tv friendly clones whose music all sounds the same and girls shaking their arse to earn those shareholders their cash.

But I doubt it matters to MTV since the majority of their fan base seems to consist of 14 year olds and their 40-something fathers who like watching Christina and Brittany bump n grind.

Now I'm off to listen to some Godspeed You Black Emperor.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by Veltro]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think NiN should just do a justin n jackson thing at the last moment drop the background image of bush but am not sure what things have been in place to stop that kind of thing since the "nipple flash". Anyway nin are a good band all I have to say.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
While I'm don't have joygasms over their new album, I'm still a fan, and to hell with MTV, who even watches that crap? Pimp my Life.

MTV is for the 13-18 yr olds who just don't know any better, oh look room raiders boring, oh hey finally some music, oh wait it's another jarule duet, followed by the famous hardcore punk rocker Avril.

Odd

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
jesus christ, PUBLICITY STUNT.

come on, how seriously do we have to take everything nowadays?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
While I'm don't have joygasms over their new album, I'm still a fan

Me too man. It's not The Downward Spiral but it's definitely NIN. Personally I can indentifiy with Every Day is Exactly the Same.

followed by the famous hardcore punk rocker Avril.

Too funny. I'm glad im not the only one who laughs at descriptions of Lavigne.
If we only had a time machine we could send her back to the late 70's, early 80's and watch her get booed/laughed/beaten offstage by true rockers.

That's all MTV and pop musak is. Posers trying to sound like everyone else. Same beats, same tired lyrics. Posers. Having to imitate because they really have nothing of their own to say. And the blind masses eat it up.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
NIN Rocks

Anyone know what picture of bush they were gonna show?

mtv doesn't

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Just a thought

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well...Apart from not really giving a damn about MTV or their Music Awards....Or any heavily publicized awards for that matter, as they're all overrun by corporate executives and debauched of any true independent representation for the sake of glitz and glamour....*off my rant now*

I'd agree that this is just another ripple effect of our increasingly censored America - Freedom of Speech means nothing to anyone when there are people like Osama running about...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Are those by any chance Bushnell binoculars???

See no evil with the new Bush signiture series!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join