It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nine Inch Nails And MTV Clash Over The Use of President Bush Image

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The popular rock band, Nine Inch Nails, has cancelled its scheduled appearance at the MTV Movie Awards. The cancellation came after MTV expressed discomfort with plans for the band to perform infront of an image of President Bush. "We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straightforward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop. Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me," said the lead singer, Trent Reznor.

uk.news.yahoo.com
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The rock band Nine Inch Nails said on Friday it canceled plans to appear on next week's MTV Movie Awards after the network questioned the band's plans to perform in front of an image of President George W. Bush.

The band was slated to perform "The Hand That Feeds," the first single from its latest album.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this really censorship? Do the Nine Inch Nails have a right to make statements in their performances on TV? Thats a question everyone of us needs to make for ourselves. However the constitution is on their side here.

Also if the reverse situation were to occur and a pro-Bush band wanted to perform with a glorifying picture of President Bush. Would MTV have the same discomfort?

This coming on the heels of the republican bashing in Star Wars 3 debate and the DeLay debate with regards to Law and Order's satirical jibe all seem to point to some attempts of censorship.

ATS: Is Star Wars 3 anti-Bush?
ATSNN: NBC clashes with Tom DeLay over Law & Order

[edit on 28/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Do the Nine Inch Nails have a right to make statements in their performances on TV?

Yes they do!! It's thier band, they can play how, where and whenever they want a pro-Bush band wanted to perform with a glorifying picture of President Bush. Would MTV have the same discomfort?

No, I believe MTV would not let a band play with a pro-bush message at the music awards. Ofcourse the band could make it unscheduled, but if MTV knew about in advance they would not allow it.

BTW, NIN are good to go, I dont agree with thier views but I like the music.

[edit on 28/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Didn't a lot of music start as speech?

A lot of the music in the 60's & 70's was an attempt to protest against the system. Take the protest away and you will be left with 100% manufactured music, in other words fake music.

Let them hang the banner high, MTV wont be doing themselves any favour to protest any sort of 'freedom of speech'.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I wonder though, doesnt MTV have the final say on what gets said on its station?

If the Nine Inch Nails wanted to perform infront of a picture of George Bush at their concert then its their right.

But im torn on this issue. Clearly MTV is censoring NIN here but I dont necessarily think any one can complain about it. MTV is entitled to their views as much as NIN are but I think the fact that MTV is censoring anti-Bush sentiment is questionable.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me," said the lead singer, Trent Reznor.

thats great,

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
way to go, trent reznor! a brilliant assault on the state of things. it's JUST a picture of the president. they're everywhere. why censor it? ditto star wars and law and order.

i'd love a comment by trent himself, here. trent?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If this is an expression of Nine-inch-Nails art what is the big deal?

Art has stirred controversy throughout history.

Things haven't changed in that regard. Cultural censorship is very old.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by slank]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me," said the lead singer, Trent Reznor.

I was wondering if anyone else had caught that. Its great.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with free speech or censorship, as usual.

MTV is a corporate network owned by Viacom / Paramount, and they can display or not display whatever they want. Halting NIN's production would only be illegal or a violation of rights if NIN was on contract to do the show.

MTV, being a corporate network, can opt not to produce portions of a program that they think will negatively affect their bottom line, by way of reduced viewers, which reduces advertising income.

Just another typical case of "guys, you have to realize, it's not censorship if it's an action taken by a corporation or an individual. It may be censorship if it's an action taken by the government."

MTV produces programs in the interest of income, not in the interest of politics or civil rights, unless they are sure that it suits their bottom line.

Zip

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I was wondering if anyone else had caught that. Its great.

I quoted him didnt I

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I almost added the author also, but I figured it was self-apparent.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Getting so many U2U's about this not being right for ATSNN. lol

Can some one give me a reason why this is not right for ATSNN?

Also how is my intro section biased? Thats got me beat.

I think the ATSNN voting system needs some accountabilty. People shouldnt be arbitrarily able to vote no on things they havent even read or understood.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I voted Yes. Just so you know.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ahhh, I knew this smelled like a subzmission.

I voted yes.

Zip

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
lol Zip, I tried my hardest to be even handed here. I said I agree with what MTV did in regard of their right to dictate what goes on air. I didnt like why they used their right to censor it though. Come on, points for effort atleast

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Meh, don't feel too bad. I posted a couple of stories and got complaints about them. Grammar complaints from people who obviously don't know what grammar is. Then someone else posted the same story and my inbox got flooded telling me my submission was a double. It was really annoying so I don't think I will bother any more.

Anyhow, back on topic.

While I think MTV should be a little less conservative about rebellion (isn't that what rock'n'roll is supposed to be about), this is not censorship. MTV is a privately owned entity and has a right to shield itself from statements that it doesn't want to be affiliated with. Having said that, MTV is one of the things that is wrong with the music industry these day... or rather, for the last 20 years.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hold up a minute! Am I reading this right? MTV was actually going to play some music?! Really!? Oh, I knew it was too good to be true.

My advice, boycott MTV. They havent had good music in 10 years and haven had good videos in 15 years. They are not even a Music Telivision Station anymore....

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

They are not even a Music Telivision Station anymore....

True, so very true.

MTV europe is a little better, but still play many of the same shows...
NO MORE MTV!!!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Not the MTV in Britain, if thats the same as Euro MTV.

Its never got music on it. Only tacky reality tv shows and "rise and rise of's".

My music video trawling starts squarely at ch 441
Which is now VH1
when did that happen??

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Unless the video has a young blonde grinding and moaning in her underwear, it is not suitable for MTV.

Reminds me of a Dead Kennedys song from 1985:

MTV Get Off The Air

top topics

<<   2 >>

join