It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Televangelists, knowingly lying?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm on the outside looking in at all of it--I haven't been to church (except for funerals) in 18 years. 18 years going to church, 18 years not going to church. I had one desire in my heart when I was 8 years old and baptized, and kept that desire for 36 years. And the LORD was with me everwhere I went, every minute of the whole time. Being aware of this I realized that He is not found in church but in your heart, which is where your longing for Him dwells. And so I realized He makes good on His promises, and in the last few years, He's fulfilled my lifelong desire and so I just want to broadcast it to the whole world. God is TRUE!

That being said, looking from the outside in, now for me, is quite the perspective clarifier. I left religion, but I didn't worry what others were doing. I was 'live and let live' by nature. But these days, after some very trying times of all sorts of hardship, where the LORD taught me not just to believe in Him but to put my trust completely in Him, I can see that there is a major flaw in all structured religion, on TV and in the man-made buildings.

These ideas are ideas that remain in the physical realm--IOW they are not worshipping in 'spirit and truth'. However it might be disguised or minimized, all of it is somewhat tradition and ritual. So--no matter how much is truth, a little leaven spoils the whole lot, right? Christ said it--it certainly is a trustworthy saying.

And a preacher of the gospel that depends upon a certain individual or entity for the sustenance, whether it be room and board or a salary--if it is not God who they are depending upon, it is not God they are 'working for.'

Depending upon the local parish is not depending upon God. God will provide for one who does His work, but to think that means a regular paycheck or something we believe we can 'depend' on is not depending upon God. And all souls' have an undeniable need/want to please their employer.

Paul depended upon God to take care of Him, and surely God uses people to care for people. But Paul didn't depend on any one person or group all the time. He just trusted in God and Paul never went hungry, not in poverty. He suffered, sure, but God didn't let him flounder without supply.

God is no different right now than He was then.

I can truthfully testify that if you trust in God to take care of you, and sincerely don't put thought to tomorrow, today (it's hard, I know, but it's just one big step, once you do it, you're done with worry) He will provide all you need and surprise you with things you didn't know you needed.

But that means letting the Holy Spirit teach you, not religious men. Just the fact that none ever say they know for sure and no two can agree is proof enough there's no certainty in their words like you can receive from God.

And I can say I know that for sure. It's in the bible and it's in my heart and it's tried and true. 'Private intepretation' means not with another person, it means alone without the holy spirit. Why did Christ say to the disciples He would not leave them alone, in a world of probably 250 million people, if he meant they'd have human company? The Holy Spirit is our pal, not a preacher/minister/priest. We have a priest, advocate, teacher, and comforter all wrapped in one invisible friend who lives in our hearts for us alone, each of us.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Some of those men also depend on God to do what God said God would do.

Just like Paul, they are supported by the people because God wills it so.

Others, are just out to get fat on the church body. Using discernment , and keeping Gods word close, you can tell the difference

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My point exactly. Jesus said those He sent would be thrown out of synagogues, arrested, and beaten. How many TV evangelists can say they have been through the same?

They're on TV because the world watches them--many who don't even say they are christians watch them. Does the world watch them because they hate them and don't understand their words? Does a congregation hire a preacher because his words are so true that they physically give pangs of understanding? If a preacher comes to try out for your church, it is basically a question of 'does his doctrine fit ours' and 'what are his wife and kids like?'

The questions should be 'is he prepared for every question' and 'is he a respector of persons'--most importantly doctrinal agreement comes down to one thing: his must be lined up with God's, so he can help you line yours up.

Bottom line, again: to trust in another man to help you find your way to God is not the same as trusting God directly.

These are literal teachings, to be taken 100% literally:

If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
(Luke 12:28-33)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sntx

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

You are certainly correct Thomas. I have found one that truly teaches God's love, and actually attacks most of the others. I sure wish I knew his name. Sounds kinda country. Slick dark hair. He does teach God's love, and rebels against the teaching of fear.

It sounds like you may be referring to Joel Osteen.

Steve

[edit on 6/5/0505 by sntx]

I was channel surfing and I saw Joel Osteen giving a sermon on TBN. As he preached he rapidly blinked his eyes as he turned his head toward one side of the audience to the other. The blinking was distracting.

Ancestral Blessings I think was the theme. I noticed he never mentioned a single bible passage though the 15 minutes I watched. He was mostly focused on personal gain. That God was going to payback what's due to your family. It sounded more like a "time-share" benefit seminar.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainJailew

As a Christian, I find most televangelists to be almost entirely wrong in their teachings. They truly do believe what they are saying, that's the unfortunate part, they have traveled so far away from Holy scripture and hermeneutics that they have deceived themselves.
They are in it for the money, they like to take scriptures and twist there meaning to suit themselves. So they think it's okay as a Christian to pursue gluttonous wealth, because that's what God want's. They take verses like Jeremiah 29:11 and totally misuse them.
They tend to forget about the story of the rich young ruler (Matthew 19).
There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, but if wealth is their main pursuit and the thing they care about most, then they are stepping outside of what the Bible is saying. Our main pursuit (as Christians) should be becoming more and more like Christ everyday.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainJailew

in my opinion there are wolves in all aspects of the church, a great place for a wolf to operate would be this media.

I often worry when Christians are selling the word of God. cover your cost but profits??

Mark 6:8 KJV

And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse.

david

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I reluctantly attend a suburban Chicago church where the Pastor
often has two $$$ collections per service and sometimes three...
especially since we built/moved into a 9 million dollar, 1200 seat
sanctuary that is never over 25% occupied on Sundays.

After some digging, I was able to find out the Pastor's home
address. Out of curiosity, I programmed it into my GPS and
found myself at a gated community of homes that were simply
huge. The guard wouldn't let me in, but I went home and looked
it up on Google Earth. This man and his family live in a home
that has a large outdoor pool, indoor pool and tennis court.

I was raised in a church where the pastor interacted with the
members professionally and socially. Our current pastor never
did, even when the church was in a gym at the local school. He
prides himself on being an understudy of Pastor Creflo Dollar.
Whenever Creflo comes to the church as a guest, we're asked
to "sew a seed" into his ministry by donating money to him.
From what I understand, Creflo Dollar is a multi-millionaire with
a private jet. Why should working people on a tight budget give
this guy money? It's amazing how gullible people are when
religion is used as the leverage to get their money.

Personally, if my wife didn't insist on attending this church, I'd
find one that didn't feel that their religion was the only way to
heaven... if there is such a church.
-cwm

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Living in the area, I must ask, what is the church?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join