It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetes Association Saying Sugar Not A Contributing Cause of Diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
www.organicconsumers.org...

I can't believe that they are actually saying this. This is something that has been known since the 19th century!

This is not the first time the food industry has bought off health officials of various types. The food pyramid has been a big source of concern for all of them. They didn't like the fact that everything was being called dangerous in large amounts. They wanted everything whitewashed. You see the preservatives are not good for us - despite what some would say.

This is one of those things that makes me even more convinced Agribusiness is inherently evil.

Pax,

MLO

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I see the story is a claim That the ADA says this about sugar.

I could not find a link on ADA's website about this.
Are there any other sources that substantiate this claim by
Organicconsumers.org?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yeah, these same "experts" think that high-fat diets make you overweight which in turn causes diabetes.

Thing of it is, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are all brought on by the same thing--too much sugar, too many carbohydrates.

I know first-hand that if you increase fat intake (not trans-fats) and decrease carb intake, you lose weight easily.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
That's strange, I went to the diabetes.org site and found this article. It was a study on women and soft drinks. At the end it says

"What are the implications of the study?

People should cut down on sugar-sweetened beverages to prevent obesity and type 2 diabetes. "

If they are really saying there is no evidence of sugar being a factor in diabetes, they're not saying it on the website. Here's another link to there corporate sponsors. They do have a soda company as a sponsor.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Type 2 diabetes is brought on by bad dietry habits. type 1, where the person does not produce any insulin at all, has nothing to do with sugar or too much of it - this is either genetic or viral. or from a complication. And by the way, there are billions of people walking around with questionable eating habits , consuming sugar by the ton, who aren't type 2. or type 1 SUGAR does not cause diabetes, obesity and bad habits leads to the onset of it. Also women can suffer type 2 diabetes during pregnancy, my point being that sugar is not THE catalyst.

Lets hear it for sugar!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It's funny how people think obesity *causes* diabetes and heart problems.

Actually, all of those things are caused by the same thing--too many carbohydrates/sugar.

Too much sugar makes you gain weight and causes diabetes and heart problems. When you take in sugar, insulin production increases, and I read somewhere that insulin makes you retain sodium--which in turn causes you to retain fluid. That's why if you restrict carb intake, it has a diuretic effect. Also, insulin converts excess carbs to fat.

Believe it or not, a low-fat diet can cause gallstones. A high-fat diet can help prevent it! (Avoid trans-fats.) Eating fat will not make you fat.

I can lose several pounds a week by drinking water instead of pop.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
High fructose corn syrup is in all kinds of things we eat and it is a problem IMO. I found from an article I read on high fructose corn syrup in our diets it seems that in the 70's a lot of things began to be sweetened with this stuff. Soft drinks and just about everything else with any need to be sweetened was changed and began to sweetened with this high fructose syrup. Why would they switch from sugar to this? Well its cheaper and we really can't tell the difference, but here is the problem our body can, it seems that this high fructose corn syrup is metabilized differently than plain old sugar. The high fructose corn syrup is metabolized through the liver and turned in to triglycerides which makes you gain weight much faster than sugar would this stuff is stored in the body for future use instead of automaticlly being used for fuel and since it has been added to our diets, Americans weight, and health problems have increased. So when you see those news shows where they talk about why Americans are getting fatter, they forget to add this little gem, wonder why?

www.prevention.com...

Food manufacturers had begun using a comparatively cheap new hybrid sweetener called high fructose corn syrup back in the late 1960s, and a few years later, rates of obesity and diabetes began to skyrocket.

The parallel was so striking that Gross began to collect more data, eventually publishing his results in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition last May. "We kept seeing the same thing," says Gross. "As the consumption of corn syrup goes up, the number of diabetics goes up, too."

These two ingredients--trans fats and high fructose corn syrup--are in 40 percent of the foods Americans eat every day. And a growing number of experts believe that both are contributing to the epidemic levels of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease in the United States. How did they get into your food? And what can you do to keep them out of your diet? Read on for the latest news.

Also found this article which explains how the high fructose corn syrup acts differently than sugar.
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Boy, is that article a load of hysterical nonsense or what? Have you SEEN some of the web pages with that article on it -- talking about "mass murders of the American public" and so forth?

This is your first clue that the article was written by the Tinfoil Hat Monster. THM has an agenda (guess what -- they're into some sort of "cure all" MLM. So THEIR Wonderful, Amazing, Well-Researched Product will cure you of everything and you just need to ignore those hysterical scientists who are so stupid they haven't promoted the THM's MLM.)

The second clue, is that they've got an overpriced MLM product to sell you. They could care less if you drop dead. They just want to scare you into buying their Tinfoil Hat Product.

Here's what ADA *REALLY* says:
www.diabetes.org...

Yeah, new tools made better research possible. It turns out that diabetics don't have to avoid sugar like it was Sarin nerve gas.

You do "carb exchanges" with sugar like you do with any other carb.

Use artificial sweeteners (the Aspertame THM shows up here) when you can.

Of course, this isn't what the THM wants to read. The THM has a "cure." It involves transferring money from your pocket into the THM's pocket. And that, they tell you, is better than giving it to Evil Drug Companies and Evil Doctors.

Oh right.

You'd think that if they loved humanity so much, they'd sell the stuff at affordable rates rather than, say, $20 for an 8 oz bottle, right? After all, it's only the Evil Drug Companies that are gouging the public. The THM's MLM is only a Public Service.

Feh.

new topics

top topics

join