It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a spirit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Action potentials, the electrical charges initiated by chemical reactions in the human body, are carried by the nervous system. These action potentials converge to the plexuses where they are transmitted into organs. The concentration of action potentials at the plexuses coincide with the locations of what holistic medicine practitioners call 'chakras' or energy centers. There are supposedly 7 plexuses or chakras in the human body, all omitting the energy released by action potentials.
These seven energy fields overlap and combine to create an energy field that surrounds and penetrates the human body.
Is it fair to say then that this energy field is the human spirit?
Is it reasonable to believe that these energy fields possess positive and negative charges? Can the human spirit be affected by the charge of other energy fields or spirits and their related charges? Does the affect that other energy fields or spirits have on the human spirit affect physiology?
Does this energy field or spirit give life to the body or does the body give life to the energy field?

If the spirit enlivens the body, then this excerpt from the Bible can be better understood:
Ephesians 6:12 - For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is it fair to say then that this energy field is the human spirit? (speaking of the 7 chakras)
***No, it is not the spirit. I guess you could almost say it is like a layerd thing. The energy system and the chakras being closer in contact with the spirit than the physical body.

Is it reasonable to believe that these energy fields possess positive and negative charges?
***Mmmm... I won't go so far as to say 'charges', but posative and negative and being able to be 'off ballance', yes.

Can the human spirit be affected by the charge of other energy fields or spirits and their related charges?
***Yes and no. Yes, it is effected - because you (as in mindfulness and emotion) are effected. No - because something else other than your experiences (aware of them or not) and your thoughts/beliefs/etc can not change the spirit.

Does this energy field or spirit give life to the body or does the body give life to the energy field?
***The body is merely a vehical for this world. The body will not, cannot have life without spirit (even if hooked up to life support, without spirit - the 'person' is not alive). But, without the body - the spirit lives on...forever.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Something that leaves the body when you are dying or are dead so to speak? I have been around a couple of times when people have died on me, and I have not noticed any changes except for the usual stuff that appears when human or an animal dies. But I believe we all have a soul, and that there is a life even after this one.

It would be rather boring otherwise would´t it?
What a waste of time....

Necros

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
``

yo checkers, some deep thinking in that post,

since the ordinary person of faith considers the 'spirit' / 'soul'
an intergal? aspect of your 'being' or 'self'...

you might read this short but thought provoking article
=found @ www. hidden mysteries.org/ headlines.....=

titled: New Finding about "Junk DNA" may bring some surprises
-> www.gewo.applet.cz...

i (& others) have an idea that the 95+% of the gnome (DNA sequence)
which is considered 'junk' and having no purpose...is what we have
come to think of as our 'souls'
The author 'speculates' that maybe a future bombardment of cosmic
quanta or somesuch particles...JUST MIGHT have a possibility of activating
these 'sleeping & dormant' DNA messages.

(could that be the RAPTURE? event, that has become part of the humans
mythology?)

anyhow, theres' something to put into your equasion,
for the meaning-of-spirit

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Steven Hawkins has a "Brain Theory" that contends that our biological brains confine us to only being able to perceive the physical world around us. However, Hawkins goes on to say that this physical world is a very thin membrane or dimension that separates us from a vast reservoir of energy.

Perhaps then we are energy. When we are conceived, a portion of energy comes in contact with human flesh, which in turns brings the flesh to life.
When we die, our energy or spirit leaves the flesh and returns to the energy source from whence it came.

Perhaps the source of energy is God. Perhaps God dispatches portions of energy into human bodies. He dispatches these spirits to live billions of human lives in billions of different ways. All of us are permitted to live as humans with free will and we choose to live different lives and have different experiences. Perhaps God gives us this life in order to give us the freedom to discover His truth in our own way. We either discover and accept his truth or we don't.
When our journey is done here, then perhaps our spirit or energy is returned to God...or not, depending on whether or not we discovered His truth during our time as humans.

Just a theory - but when you start looking as humans a energy rather than matter, then it seems reasonable to believe that we are not confined to just what we see. We are influenced by unseen powers and/or spirits.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experiance,we are spiritual beings having a human experiance.~Pierre Teilhaul de Chardin.

[edit on 29-5-2005 by checkers]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I believe the spirit to be your true self, your ultimate consciousness which survives the death of the body. I dont believe that the spirit has any function at all in coordinating the body, except in a spiritual sense. In the book I am currently reading ''___'-the spirit molecule' the author suggests that the mysterious pineal gland at the centre of our brains may be a link to our soul.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I believe the spirit to be the true life of a person. Your spirit could be young or old depending on how long you've been in the cycle. The creation process of a spirit is just as mysterious as where the spirit goes when it passes on. A spirit may hold potential energies such as powers, or not. It all depends on the type of spirit a person holds within them.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeyC
I believe the spirit to be your true self, your ultimate consciousness which survives the death of the body. I dont believe that the spirit has any function at all in coordinating the body, except in a spiritual sense.

I agree. I believe our inner being, our life force is powering up these flesh mobiles. I'm experiencing a variety of inner conflicts and stress because of this very thing. My inner spirit makes decisions and solutions on a regular basis but I, as a human Im tied to emotions and other things that divide me from it.

And checkers, we are energy. Our bodies include certain levels of electricity. I feel this may be the physical manifestation of our spirit or soul and the chakras outlets or inlets. Our bodies are what,....80% fluid which obviously conducts the electricity powering up our bodies. SO I guess the spirit is involved in coordinating the body on some level but its main purpose is spiritually based.

I'm no scientist by any means but it a puzzle piece remembered from the old school that could help with this

EDIT: Just curious about the energy carried by the nervouse system now. Are we dealing with two types or two seperate operation of conducting and transmitting energy?? We know fluid conducts, we also know the electrons and crap firing off. Just seems theres more than one electical system involved here, one having to be the soul.

Ok need more, getting confusing

[edit on 31-5-2005 by DragonflyKingdom]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This thread would also go very well in the Religious section. I am constantly amazed at the number of Christians that can't understand that the "spirit" within each of us is part of God and therefore Holy.

Most are right, and none are wrong. Our spirit is our connection with GOD. It is part of GOD. It at times gives one direction if one is willing to listen, and able to differentiate from the mind.

My wife, an RN of over 25 years, always opens the window when someone passes away in honor of letting the spirit "out". She told me a story of one eve when an elderly patient had gone to the next level. She was training 3 new nurses right out of college. She entered the room saw the gentleman had passed away, and immediately opened the window. One of the students asked why she opened the window. When she told them their eyes got big as saucers, lol!!!!!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
from my understanding the a spirit is the soul. but a ghost is the reflection of the visable ions left behind. thats why they only do the same thing over and over.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by elemtalsage
from my understanding the a spirit is the soul. but a ghost is the reflection of the visable ions left behind. thats why they only do the same thing over and over.

to be exact, the spirit in us are called soul by human

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The human spirit is a tough one to explain .It seems that everyone has there own unique view on what it is.I believe it has some connection to the energy field that surrounds the human body

But the energy field( or Aura) is affected by your emotions,personallity and interaction with other energy fields around.There are a few studies using very sensitive cameras to record the changes your field goes through.:

Originally posted by DragonflyKingdom
Just curious about the energy carried by the nervouse system now. Are we dealing with two types or two seperate operation of conducting and transmitting energy??

Dont know how credible this is.

Dr. Valerie Hunt describes in her book Infinite Mind. During a research that harnessed the complex wave forms and resonance that connect us to our source, Dr. Valerie Hunt found that the human energy field vibrations were as much as 1000 times higher frequency than the electrical signals of nerve and muscle, with continuous, dynamic modulation, unlike the pulsating signals of the nervous system.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The spirit is very simply described as you. It is who you are.

A disembodied spirit can sometimes be considered to be a ghost. Different name, same thing. You hear of stories of folks hanging around long after their physical bodies have passed on.

You also hear of people discovering that they have had past lives.

Troy

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The reason I started this thread is because I just got done writing a paper for my biopsychology class. I originally wrote my paper about the affect that repeating positive affirmations or mantras has on physiology. I basically researched the cascade of biological processes that results from the sound of positive affirmations entering the ear. What I discovered, or think I discovered, in my research is that all biological processes involve energy. The energy that is involved in the transmission of signals from one molecule to another is ultimately transmitted into the air around us.

Of particular interest is a class of molecules that are being implicated in the mind/body connection. This class of molecules called cytokines can communicate between different tissue types. One cytokine may very well have the ability to communicate to a nerve cell and then an endocrine cell and then an immune cell, and so on. Furthermore, cytokines have been shown to be able to cross the blood brain barrier.
Cytokines may be able to take information from the brain into the body and visa versa. Thus what you see, hear, taste, etc. can be quickly communicated to the rest of the body - which may ultimately impact health.

I contend that the energy that these cytokines communicate or initiate may very well be the substance of the human spirit.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
After further research, taoism seems to provide credence to my theory of energy being the spirit.

Another wise master that lends credence to my theory is, of course, Yoda:

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship. "

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
``

yo checkers, i (& others) have an idea that the 95+% of the gnome (DNA sequence)
which is considered 'junk' and having no purpose...is what we have
come to think of as our 'souls'

This is very interesting, but nope, the soul is not 3D, it is not a physical thing. DNA is physical. (I am going to read that artical though. Sounds interesting!)

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by checkers
Steven Hawkins has a "Brain Theory" that contends that our biological brains confine us to only being able to perceive the physical world around us. However, Hawkins goes on to say that this physical world is a very thin membrane or dimension that separates us from a vast reservoir of energy.

***Yes, this is true. But we are more than capable of precieving none physical things. (Thanks to the soul/spirit/energy/what-ever-you-call-it)

Perhaps then we are energy. When we are conceived, a portion of energy comes in contact with human flesh, which in turns brings the flesh to life.
When we die, our energy or spirit leaves the flesh and returns to the energy source from whence it came.

***YES! Exactly :-) We are energy. We are 3d, or physical because we are 'trapped' energy. When we die, we continue on, but the physical body 'the trap' is gone, therefo we are no longer 3d/physical but are still energy as we were/are.

Just a theory - but when you start looking as humans a energy rather than matter, then it seems reasonable to believe that we are not confined to just what we see.
[edit on 29-5-2005 by checkers]

***Very good! Your well on your way to more 'perceptions' just by allowing yourself to understand this part of it :-)

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The book "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav also describes the soul as energy or frequencies of light.

top topics

join