It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Axle 70 Wheel Semi Truck and Trailer? (pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this isn't posted in the appropriate forum. Science and technology is the closest match that I could find.

This "thing" was spotted along the highway in a rest area near Iowa City Iowa in 1992. Anyone have an idea as to what they use it to haul? Uranium? Lead? Paper?

The pictures were taken by my father, I wasn't there. I was told that the cargo, mostly covered in a tarp, was in a plywood box. Also, I recall something about military police in the area.

(click for larger picture)

[edit on 27/5/2005 by Seth76]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It is probably Optimus Prime

I think I found some information which may be helpful. A company in Scotland recently picked up a 14 axle trailer for hauling heavy plant, crawler cranes, track machines and the like. The model they got, the Scheuerle 14 axle is a little over 24 meters long, so about a quarter of a football field, if you're a fan.

The company which makes those trailers has a section of their website for operations in Iraq, so it appears as though they also do military contracting. The pictures your dad took appear to be the Kassbohrer Military model, which is 64 tons dry wieght. The picture appears as though two of these trailers were attached to one another. Here's an image of it. The one I'm talking about is near the middle of the list. Here's where they list all of their equipment, too.

Hope this answered at least some questions! As to what was on there, who knows, but whatever it was it was heavy. Could have been plane, tank, or boat pieces (not sure if it's all done in one place or if different factories build different parts for our weapons of war). How fast was the little buddy going? Was it crusing or piddling about?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It seems to be designed to distribute a lot of weight. Whatever that *rather smallish looking load* wrapped under that tarp is, it must weigh a heck of a lot to require that many axles.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
The picture appears as though two of these trailers were attached to one another.

No, this is one trailer. To quote tjack, it's "designed to distribute a lot of weight" with a piggy back method.

How fast was the little buddy going? Was it crusing or piddling about?

It was stopped at the time... I have no idea of what it's cruising speed would have been. It was just off a major interstate 4 lane, so it would have had to travel at least 45 mph.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
it don't even have to be that heavy a load.(realitively that is
). if it trvels on a road where load weight is a concern this many axles will decrease the weight per square inch that is transfered onto the road surface. especialy if it need to go off road, that is paved surface. sure is cool looking though.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
cool, If I would of saw something like that I would of walked up to it and ask the guys what it was.

cool pics though...I to am interested in what the load is though.

heres what the driver was saying the whole time....Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns, Please No Turns...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out that, just because it has so many axles doesn't mean its carrying a massive load when your dad saw it. It may have delivered something huge, had to go back to wherever it is stationed, and they had a smaller package which had to go there. Rather than getting another truck or plane to take it, they'd just load it onto that truck for its trip back.

That package could be anything from depleated uranium shells to down for some comforters.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I just wanted to point out that its obvious this trailer was designed for a damn heavy load. and it has nothing to do with anything nuclear.

and I believe what ever is under the tarp, is its original designated payload.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
I just wanted to point out that its obvious this trailer was designed for a damn heavy load. and it has nothing to do with anything nuclear.

and I believe what ever is under the tarp, is its original designated payload.

I just said Uranium because it's extremely dense and has a huge weight to volume ratio.

What makes you think it's the original payload?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I just said Uranium because it's extremely dense and has a huge weight to volume ratio.

What makes you think it's the original payload?

I might also add that uranium doesn't demand that it would be used for a nuclear or even military application. Uranium can be in a depleted form, where the easily fissile U235 isotope is in a reduced percentage. Depleted uranium can be used for a number of applications including: projectile weapons, armor plate, sailboat keels, as counterweights and sinker bars in oil drills, gyroscope rotors, aircraft counterweights have been discontinued but are still in some planes, and is even used in race cars. Tungsten could be used for most of these applications instead of depleted uranium, but it is much more expensive.

[edit on 28/5/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
thats if freakin cool!! if i dont drive one of those b4 i die my life wont be a success.......seems like it was designed to distribute the weight (as all of you already said)..like drogo said its prob used to carry heavy stuff on roads with weight restriction...anyways...im gonna go buy one now..see yall!

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Seth mentioned recalling something about a military presence there, which is why I assumed military equipment. For non-military use, it could have been a crate of Dorito's for all we know! mmmm, Dorito's...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It looks like a bunch of ordinary lowboys stacked together. For sure that isn't a nuclear cargo. Probably some specialized industrial equipment.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
It looks like a bunch of ordinary lowboys stacked together.

I guess I can see that it somewhat resembles a group of gooseneck trailers from the side. Take a look again at the first picture though. It has a I-frame design distribute the load from the center. It most defiantly is NOT separate trailers.

A little web searching and I found links to die cast toys that look simular called "girder trailers." Though I can't find any other "real" pictures of a girder trailer, I think it's descriptive of the pictures. Anyone have better luck finding a real girder trailer?

Another possibility for the cargo could be an electrical transformer.

For sure that isn't a nuclear cargo.

How do you know for sure?
You're right though, if they were transporting nuclear cargo they would probably make it stand out a bit less. And as far as I know, most of the uranium transport (for nuclear power) in the US is done via railway.

[edit on 3/6/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76

For sure that isn't a nuclear cargo.

How do you know for sure?
You're right though, if they were transporting nuclear cargo they would probably make it stand out a bit less. And as far as I know, most of the uranium transport (for nuclear power) in the US is done via railway.

[edit on 3/6/2005 by Seth76]

A plywood box covered with a tarp is not a radioactive “Cask” shipping container.

Furthermore, the DOT regs on shipments of that kind are pretty strict; there is no placarding on that trailer.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
it appears to be waht is called a "lowboy" in the class 8 tractor and trailer community. Designed to haul very heavy loads, what ever they may be, and be able to spread the weight out over a prescribed or engineered number of axles. Keep in mind that a P series trailer axle is capable of 23,000 lbs. this config is DEFINATLY running P-series axles. Do the math and you can see what it can potentially haul, weight wise.

A customer of mine's product:

I can tell you that the oil drilling industry has MUCH more impressive equipment running around with MANY more wheels that what is in the first post, spend some time north of Edmonton AB to see what I mean.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That's where my Doritos come from?
I knew that they tasted weird a few times...must have been the Uranium residue.

Anyway, that thing is massive. I haven't seen one that big, however I have seen these trucks down here in FL that move entire trailers from trailer parks. It's weird when you see a whole house up in front of a car in front of you. Next time I will try to get a picture of that.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neosnightmare
That's where my Doritos come from?
I knew that they tasted weird a few times...must have been the Uranium residue.

Anyway, that thing is massive. I haven't seen one that big, however I have seen these trucks down here in FL that move entire trailers from trailer parks. It's weird when you see a whole house up in front of a car in front of you. Next time I will try to get a picture of that.

theyre called mobile homes!

i live in a mobile home park and its very common to have them move the houses out on the trucks, but they are still nothing compared to that massive beast up there, you could probably fit about 3 of these houses on there or 6 single wide homes.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My mistake, mobile homes
. And yeah, it does look like it can take a few of them. I lived in a doublewide for a while and it can easily fit on that beast.

[edit on 6/9/2005 by neosnightmare]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76

This "thing" was spotted along the highway in a rest area near Iowa City Iowa in 1992. Anyone have an idea as to what they use it to haul? Uranium? Lead? Paper?

That is a specialized trailer used for hauling Mining Shovels and or parts. See them all the time around here hauling things for P&H Mining equipment going out west.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join