It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Knight meets the X-37

page: 1

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:25 PM
While Spaceship 1 has retired in a museum, and Scaled Composites and Virgin Galactic are working on Spaceship 2...the carrier aircraft wont just sit on the sidelines. Last year Nasa transferred the X-37 to DARPA.

This summer the X-37 will undergo a series of drop test, and it wont be the ol' B-52 this time around...why? MONEY. Its much cheaper for DARPA to use the carrier aircraft dubbed "White Knight, then a relic bomber.

White Knight prepared for a new mission

The White Knight will carry the SS2 when its completed, around 2008.

The X-37 has been billed as an unpiloted, autonomously operated vehicle designed to conduct on-orbit operations and collect test data in the Mach 25 (reentry) region of flight.

The Boeing-built X-37 is geared to be a test bed for airframe, propulsion and operation technologies designed to make space transportation and operations significantly more affordable.

According to a Boeing fact sheet on the craft, the X-37 project is exploring potential new commercial and military reusable space vehicle market applications, be they on-orbit satellite repair to the next-generation of totally reusable launch vehicles.

Wonder what type of missions it will has a cargo it might be used to launch micro and nano sats.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:28 PM
Cool stuff Murc and good find. I can't believed I missed this :doh: (we need a Homer Emote

My question is this, how much money is Rutan making off of this venture, or is it still up in the air?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:55 PM
im glad they have other uses for the White Knite. It looks like it would be a very nice aircraft for smaller test vehicles. Maybe they are going to make the X-37(took me about 10 minutes to hit the right numbers
) into a bigger ship for future astronauts to go into space?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:16 PM
wow, im really excited that this is happening in my lifetime. Im gonna have lots of stories to tell my grandkids about the first group to succsessfully bring tourists to the moon(hopefully this will happen in the next ten years)

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:11 AM

The only people who are going to the moon is Nasa, which sill be around your 10 year mark.

But tourist...Were just begining the Sub-orbit, in 10 more years I expect Low Earth Orbit (space station altitude), 10 years after that I would expect the moon.

new topics

top topics