It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Alcoholics Anonymous a secret society?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

Perhaps you're far too easily offended, then. This thread is based on one person's opinion. You reference Jesus and how he "Rocks!" in your avatar. Would he be so flustered?

If you know several people who've recovered from active alcoholism with the help of AA, then why would you worry so much about the OP?

I know enough about AA that I cannot argue with the OP. If you are not an anonymous alcoholic, than who are you to say?

This thread is very interesting to some of us.

You are of course free to think/feel/believe/say/do whatever you want. That's ALL anyone ever does, anyway. EVERY single thing we do is under our own volition--because we WANTED to do it, at that particular moment. Disprove that.

That said, I'm actually trying to reach out to you and tamp your dander a bit here. Lighten up. This is ATS.

Good day.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Oh my god, its a anonymous because people feel better about admitting their faults when there is no threat of the information leaking. Why do you think people confess their sins to a priest who has to keep the information anonymous. It is a way to give someone strength, who is otherwise lacking from that strength. I'm not offended at the part where you guys insult the organization, I'm offended because of how low you people will stoop. These are people who believe that AA is their last line of defense, their only hope to live a normal life again, and some of you guys are lamblasting and defamming these people. This thread is about as fair as me starting a thread which is titled "Down Syndrome: A secret cult?" And in the thread I say something along the lines of "Mentally disabled people, they have their own secret language and in school they are placed into classrooms separate from all the other students; they must be apart of secret organization." You see how my actions, as a human being, are offensive. And yes, I do think Jesus would be offended.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Everyone here calling it a cult or a secret society have never been, obviously. Does it feel good to sit in judgement and cast disepersions about something you have no first hand knowledge of?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Clearly, those of us who have used AA as a tool to return to a life free of substance abuse can share a more, shall we say, sophisticated opinion on this topic.

And those of us who are not AA members can only look in from the outside. And, seeing the AA doctrine of 12 steps, a clearly-named [if not defined "Higher Power"], the secrecy of anonymity, even the "occultish" logo could certainly lead some to speculate on the bigger picture of AA. Especially here on ATS. [!!!]

Fascinating conversation, all around. Far be it from me to question whether AA "works". I only know what I know. Can't speak for others. But, I have seen successes "because" of AA.

To the AA apologists, like I mentioned before, if you "know" it "works," then why get so fired-up at the doubters and conspiratorialists?

Remember, there's always more than meets the eye.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I am not an alcoholic but for over ten years I thought I was. I had a serious drinking problem and was sent to the Navy's version of rehab. For ten years, I bought the propaganda hook, line, and sinker.

Then one night after an hour of listening to people whine about their lives, I decided my time could be better spent doing something else. I stayed sober for a few years after while going through counseling on my real problem. For many people, drinking/drugging is only a symptom. I haven't been drunk in over twenty years, but I still drink. It's just that I learned to drink socially rather than drinking to get blasted.

Everyone who end's up in AA, contary to what they teach, isn't necessarily an alcoholic.

Cug

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
The original poster is absolutely off their rocker, and should probably stop spreading messages of hate about an excellent organization.

So post in a thread that's a billion years old and say I'm off my rocker?

the intent of this post i made 3 and a half years ago, was to show that the very things people point as evidence the this or that secret society is evil, also applies to may other groups that people would laugh at if you called them "evil".

93 93/93

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
My dad is in AA, and I can personally tell you, it is not a cult in anyway. I used to be taken to meetings because well, I found them kind of fun. Everyone just wanted to help each other to get or stay sober. AA doesn't just help alcoholics, often people get "sponsors" (who are pretty much like an older sibling) person to lean on in case they relapse or have a hard day. When I was growing up, I was so grateful to AA for helping my father. I will admit, the 'regulars' can be clique-ish. And no, they didn't try to get me to join. I'm proud to have learned from the other members stories and have never had a drop of alcohol in my life. No drugs either.

Personally, I'm kind of offended this topic is even going on. It sounds like a lot of the ' AA is a secret society' people haven't even attended a meeting and those who have are being ignored!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I do not thinkt that anybody denies that AA does some good. Even AA's harshest critics wil have to concede AA has helped thousands of people with their alcohol problems. This does not mean that AA is perfect. Perhaps the people AA serves can be helped more effectively with other methods.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by hotpinkurinalmint]

[edit on 7-12-2008 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've lived in a cultish situation, ever heard of Set Free? They're a Christian organization that fits a lot of mind manipulation definitions; they use people who have no where else to go for cheap, unsanitary labor purposes mostly. Trust this coming from someone who can compare and contrast a cultish group with AA- AA is not a secret society or cult, and they usually aren't doing any harm. That's just my opinion though.

Now I could see why some people might perceive AA differently, but I know several alcoholics and AA has usually helped them with their hardcore drinking or flat out alcoholism and has managed to help keep them sober, healthy, and happy. Don’t just judge the people or message behind an organization, judge how it affects people involved and their lives. That’s what I do and that is why I have no problem with AA, it has been nothing but helpful for the ones I love, secret society or not.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Regarding the "open" and "closed" meetings, no one's gonna throw you out or call the cops if you attend a closed meeting and you're not an alcoholic. When a meeting on a schedule says "closed" it's basically a group that wants to meet without everyone bringing their wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/parents/kids, etc.- a meeting where people only want to talk to other alcoholics.

Now there are also meetings scheduled for men and women, for people who find it distracting to dicuss their alcoholism around the opposite sex. And there are gay meetings, lesbian meetings, doctor's meetings, lawyer's meetings, celebrities meetings. If you were a Brad Pitt would you want to go to an AA meeting with a bunch of people who might rob you?

I personally find AA to be annoying. I'm an on again-off again binge drinker. About the only good thing about going to a meeting is I walk out realizing I have a problem...or else why would I have gone to the meeting?

Court/employer/school ordered meetings are another thing. It's not just judges ordering meetings. College deans & work bosses order them too, but it beats the hell out of them ordering you to go to inpatient treatment at your own expense (of course your health insurance if you have it, will cover a lot, but you'll still be paying the rest).

The worst thing about AA is it creates a lot of people where instead of say, going to the gym, they're spending their spare time off work sitting around drinking coffee and smoking.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

you're flabbergasted? this is a forum for open exchange of ideas and opinions. i dread the day when only 'agreeable' submissions are accepted. interestingly, this attitude seems to pervade the program itself to many extents. any dissent or even plain disagreement (not attack nor denigration) is automatically percieved as destructive. one would assume only something insubstantial could not stand up to criticism.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There is a secret to AA....
I can't say if it goes any further than this but......
The meetings last1-3 hours.....
Place is open 24 hours, I "personally" have traveled most of the USA..
and the AA houses are what I was chasing, in over 90% of them they have a "back room" card/gambling hall. It was not uncommon to see $100's of dollars change hands.
As for myslef I was a nomadic billiard player, that found the AA "back rooms" by chance, they are in every town and every city, (supplimental income) for me, when pool tourneys or action was not so good....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cug

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
definitions I found of your key descriptor

Secret- kept private or not revealed.

Meetings are advertised online/booklets/healthcare etc. so imo since they are available for those who seek them it cannot be considered a 'secret society' No joining fee, no dues, no recommendation needed.

Thank ****

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
There is a secret to AA....
I can't say if it goes any further than this but......
The meetings last1-3 hours.....
Place is open 24 hours, I "personally" have traveled most of the USA..
and the AA houses are what I was chasing, in over 90% of them they have a "back room" card/gambling hall. It was not uncommon to see $100's of dollars change hands.
As for myslef I was a nomadic billiard player, that found the AA "back rooms" by chance, they are in every town and every city, (supplimental income) for me, when pool tourneys or action was not so good....

Are you being sarcastic or serious?

Regardless, I don't have an AA conspiracy but I do think their philosophy is a little... off... of say, the CDC's description of Alcoholism and possible treatments.

I think that there was a South Park episode about something kind of similar... where Stan's dad was an alcoholic and AA allowed him to drink more/feel better about drinking because he had a "disease"

No opinion here really, just adding some additional thoughts.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I find it amusing that so many people think that AA people are trying to "make you" do anything. They don't go to meetings because of you, but because of themselves.

I've gone to AA for years and frankly, I don't give a # what you're doing in a meeting. I don't care if you drink. I only care if I do.

Simply put, I'm there because it helps me to talk about drinking with other drinkers. If you don't want to be there, god bless ya and have a good day. It's free. It's voluntary. And the exit door is right over there if it doesn't work for you. I won't stop you. Maybe you don't need it. Maybe you have control over your drinking. I only know that my life sucks when I drink and it doesn't when I don't. Nothing happens to my life when you drink.

So, when you evaluate AA, I'd just ask for you to break out of your own thinking for a moment and consider this: I'm there for me, not you. I don't like what drinking does to me, so I go to meetings and it helps. In my eyes, that means it's a successful program.

That you think I go to meetings waiting for you to show up is evidence of how little you understand the program. AA helps me.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yes it is secret...
No, there are not gambling parlors in back rooms...PURE BS
The pure ignorance and dark age intelligence of many here is amazing!
I fear for my fellow humans...
I am part of AA and it saved my life. The general premise of AA is get sober...help someone else do the same. If that is a bad thing, so be it.
YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK...you make alcoholics look like normal people to me.
Are cancer support groups SECRET SOCIETIES???
This thread is garbage...GET A LIFE.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cug

I have been sober for more than 20 years. Alanon and AA saved my life along with very good therapy.

I also work in human behavior, addictions/ grief etc.

"Denial will not protect you from reality."

It is not how much you drink, or how often. But it is the: WHY do you drink, that is the question. It is how it affects your life! This is the criteria for establishing alcoholism.

It is not stopping that is hard...it is staying stopped.

Alcohol is just a food product. Those who make a larger issue of it need to look at it! Are you allergic to something? Do you find it hard to stay away from strawberries? Cantaloupe? Pepsi? Catchin' my drift?

Alcoholism is the only disease where the individual feels HE or SHE is qualified to diagnose themselves. No other disease creates this kind of arrogance. You will not operate on yourself, yet, you become the authority on whether you have this disease or not?

With all of this said, I have issues with AA, also.

It has changed in the years I belonged to it.

People turn their will and life over to another, a sponsor who may have no knowledge of the disease, and gives bad advice, giving power over to someone who is sick, often - themselves. AA originally never even mentioned a sponsor!! It is not in the first 164 pages of the Big Book!!

It has become more of a religion and a cult rather than a safe place to go. With it's judgmental cliques, rituals, and chanting. It has little to do with keeping it simple!

Helplessness and hopelessness are promoted to gain control. Whereas, this is A LIE!

Sickness is taught! "You will be sick for the rest of your life!" ...A LIE! It says 23 times in the Big Book uses the phrase: "recovered" in other words; get over it! Or YOU have gotten over it! Treatment centers promoted it because they wanted the money. So they have made it incurable.

Just like religion: all you need is the Bible...all you need is AA! WRONG!!! Outside help is very beneficial and can go a long way toward wellness.

What sickens me the most: true sobriety is no longer promoted. It keeps secrets!! A person may take a chip for 10 years sobriety while all the time is smoking weed or abusing pills! BUT..."We keep to singleness of purpose and will not discuss other drugs in AA." Hence, the LIE and secrets get promoted. JUST DON'T DRINK, but we will turn the other cheek when it comes to other drugs.

It is fast becoming a farce! I no longer can promote AA. AA used to have over 80% success rate. Now, nothing! It has become diluted and false.

This is not to say that the 12 steps are not good! They are! But a person can work them with a therapist or friend and can attend other groups.

I have over 20 yrs and my husband - 35! We have lived in many states in sobriety and been a huge part of it (my husband at the very top), but can no longer!!

"Only God could, and would, if he were sought."

[edit on 5-2-2009 by MatrixProphet]

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I believe Alcoholics Anonymous is A.*.A.*.
Argentium Astrum
Magical Spiritual Initiatory Order
Alot of paradoxical teachings that only deepen the dilemma for the one suffering.
Its not about drinking and not drinking...its about overcoming a spiritual malady

order of the silver star -Newcomers get a silver chip to start the program and follow the 12 steps.
13th stepping (sex with a weaker vunerable member)
The triangle is used. pyramid

Bill was a stock broker and ran with other powerful Wall St Insiders Ebby, Rockefellar etc.
AA World Services New York is the power center for these societies.

Hide(OCCULT) their magic intiatory rites and sorcery with GOOD WORKS.
Some get it many dont and move on to other things like Master Minding and Networking....Spiritual Intent and manifestation teachings.

Frank Buchman and the Oxford Group- considered a salvation army for rich people that had a drinking problem
Wa#onians etc

Here---I made a film funning at the tribe for your enjoyment. Tribal group think mentality is a tragedy we must help break you free from.
Ya have to be careful because it (12 steps) unlocks unconscious mind that can riddle your body with a whole bunch of physical sickness. Fortunately there really really is a God that can protect you from this and what you dont know cannot kill you. I call it Gods Divine Firewall(Grace)....trumps all angels good or bad, sorcerers, demons, wiccans, satanists, luciferians, secret orders, casting spells, curses, assignments, and prayers of various forms. protected from All of it.

Its not so much that I am different as it is you are all the same---Thats why i appear different and ya dont want to hang out

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join