It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.S. Air Force Enforces "Religious Respect"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The U.S. Air Force has issued an order to all its commands making sure that officers do not use thier positions to promote religious beliefs. The order was issued following a Air Force task force spent several days investigating charges that religious minorities were being harassed.

new s.yahoo.com
DENVER - The Air Force has told its top commands worldwide to make sure officers don't use their positions to advance religious beliefs, following criticism of religious intolerance at the Air Force Academy.

An Air Force task force spent several days at the academy two weeks ago looking into allegations that Jews and others were harassed by evangelical Christians. A new values statement was sent to all major commands on Tuesday.

"From an Air Force perspective, one of the reasons we did that is because we are taking what is happening at the Air Force Academy seriously," Air Force spokeswoman Jennifer Stephens said Thursday from the Pentagon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well as my grandfather said, monkey see monkey do. Even chaplains according to the article were demoted and transfered to Okinawa for daring to criticize the evangelical Christians. I wonder if Rumsfield is going to send the Secretary of the Air Force packing as this is clearly against the faith based government we seem to be mired in. I applaud the Air Force for publicly endorsing one of the key Constitutional freedoms granted to us. It remains to be seen of they actually will get to enforce it.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Morton was demoted as executive officer in the chaplaincy and ordered transferred to Okinawa for her viewpoints

I dont think demoted as exutive officer (XO) is a demotion in rank.....XO is a position not a rank. I think she lost her position, not rank.

What so bad about Okinawa Japan?(don't answer that) That's a good thing....

[edit on 27/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sporty you are right in that respect, however, loosing your position as XO is a show stopper in the terms of a military career. Not as bad as grounding a carrier, but same result none the less.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Many consider Okinawa a great assignment. The chaplain was probably due to get stationed somewhere anyways.

Her supervisors probably told her, "you did a very...very bad thing. As punishment, here's a plum assignment to Japan...shame on you. Oh and by the way, we're so upset about your job performance that we're giving you a meritorious service medal for all your hard work."

[edit on 27-5-2005 by checkers]

top topics

join