It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CHALLENGE: Is this real or not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ok,

On ATS we see tons of people who, without losing a breath, proclaim some UFO pic to be fake because it looks too simple or too much like a balloon or CGI graphic. The question I have always had for such people is this.... at a distance, shouldn't a smooth, circular flying object look like a balloon?

I'd like to play a game, here, to see how good people are at identifying whether or not something is fake. Below are two photos. I would like everyone to tell me if they portray either a balloon on the ground, a solid object, a metallic object, a real UFO, or a piece of high-quality CGI art.

If you are familiar with the area in which these pics/artworks were taken please do not respond, as your response will ruin the test for people who don't have any idea what these photos are about.

So, to all those who think they can identify a 'fake' , balloon, or uFO on sight, are these pics of a balloon, tank of water, solid object, CGI graphic, or genuine UFO?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
1) cgi Art

2) real picture, real piece of artwork. Looks solid to me even though it may actually be hollow

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If you're going to challenge people here...you should change the image urls and load them somewhere else.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I’m guessing it’s a balloon. The only reason for this assumption is because I don’t think it would be possible to chrome something that large.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
ive never claimed to be an expert but I'm always game for a game so...

1 is a painting
2 is a pic of a big fountain thingy with a cgi silver thingomabob over it.

Hope i didn't lose you in the techno speak

Of course i'm just guessing but that's the whole point right?

spiderj

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I'm not good at that challenge

They both look fake to me, But I'll just guess that 1 may be real as seeing people standing in front looking at it, sorta like some artwork or something.

I dunno

I failed miserably haha.

Very good pictures though I'd like to have a poster size of that balloon or whatever it is to hang on wall.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Zedd,

I have faith in ATSers and assume that they will not cheat by tracking down the pictures.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Zedd,

I have faith in ATSers and assume that they will not cheat by tracking down the pictures.

Just don't play cards with me. Fair warning.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nice pics, but... what is the real purpose of this? Give naysayers a slap? give credule ones a slap? What really? What is this supposed to mean?

What's that???

I'm not good enough to give an opinion on those... Give me a (alleged) pic of a UFO and then I have my opinion. Those pics are to me anyway uninteresting.

This thread looks to me like it shouldn't be in the UFOs & aliens area. It has nothing to do with it.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
1: cgi
2. cgi, but maybe a real, hollow small bobby thing on a handrail... or just artwork... but not "real" big

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It’s so hard to tell if an image is authentic these days with the sophisticated digital imaging software available to anyone with a computer. Would I be surprised if it was done with a computer? No…not at all. Would I be surprised if it was a real object? No…not at all. Would I be surprised if it was a perspective shot of a small object? No I wouldn’t. It’s just so hard to tell.

That’s the problem with authentic looking ufo and alien photos. I could be looking at a real alien but I tend to assume its just digital trickery. So what would it take for me to believe…maybe only a real life meeting with an alien.

onlyinmydreams I know this is the point you are trying to make and I commend you for it.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
Nice pics, but... what is the real purpose of this? Give naysayers a slap? give credule ones a slap? What really? What is this supposed to mean?

What's that???

I'm not good enough to give an opinion on those... Give me a (alleged) pic of a UFO and then I have my opinion. Those pics are to me anyway uninteresting.

This thread looks to me like it shouldn't be in the UFOs & aliens area. It has nothing to do with it.

I don't think you understand. It has a lot to do with how we talk about/debate/debunk/prove aliens and UFOs here. I can't tell you exactly how this is so until I have more guesses and can reveal what the picture really is.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Just guessing.
1) CGI
2) Real Piece of art filled with water or maybe air or maybe metal or maybe sweet sweet chocolate or a tootsie center.

but then again, maybe thats the trick. #2 looks a little "too real"
so lets see I am going to change my answer

1) Giant mylar balooon
2) CGI

no that can't be right.
1) Is a giant CGI water balloon with a sweet tootsie center
2) Was once a CGI, but after being visited by the blue fairy was turned into a real live piece of art.

do I get my prize now?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Picture 1.... A composite image of a) the scene and b) a reversed panoramic shot.

The reasoning behing this is that the reflections from the chrome object seem to be too exact. The distance between the object and the group of people in the left of the shot would not give a reflection that clear.

Picture2..... A real mirror plated object.

Shadow, lighting etc are perfect for the surroundings. The only other possible solution could be that the whole image is computer generated, but thems real people.

I think.

Good post BTW.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
They both look like mylar balloons, but neither are actually at those locations. The reflections are wrong on both. The first is blown up, and is too big. The second looks better, but was altered in some way.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
#1 is fake, looks like a cartoon
#2 is real, and is pretty much what Irma said. Maybe like a piece of art work for walkers and gazers to entertain there eyes with in the park, or a logo for a company that is in one of those buildings. True dat mi amigos

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Looks Like 3D Studio Max and Bryce !

Check out a site called digital blasphemy !

Have Fun !

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Good point Hal900, the second one does look altered, becuase_____________________________. Sorry, but will let you guys fill in the blank

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yep, It's that site, I had that one as my desktop before, I always use their things for desktops. I got the planet in the sea one right now, due for a change though.

It's art.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams,

I applaud your effort here. I thought about asking basically the same question a while back, but yours is a much more effective example than I could have come up with.

I often times wonder why bother with pictures any longer. Regardless of whether a picture is real or not, somebody will come on and say it's fake, even if it's a real picture. This adds a hint of doubt to it's authenticity which perpetuates the question of what's real and what's fake.

It also makes you wonder if the debunkers of the world can really debunk or not. If somebody knows the tricks of debunking they can do the reverse and make a photo that can't be debunked.

now if somebody will actually put some effort (without cheating) and try and honestly tell which is real and which isn't.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join