Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Patton was a sick man

page: 1

join

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
He was notorious for exhausting his troops. He never let them dig foxholes because he never allowed his troops to stop. He continuously pushed on and battled enemies delegated to British generals because he was a war hog, never taking into consideration is armies fatigue. And yes he was once fired for cursing and slapping two soldier when he went to congradulate warriors in the hospital, he came across two with dysentary and fatigue. He thought they were faking and slapped both men. He was fired from his position immediately. Although considering he such a threat phsychologically to the Nazis that he was quickly moved from battle to battle to invoke the fear of Patton. Yes then he was later given control of the thrird Army. Onlybecause he was efficient in propaganda, not because he was a great american. He was a selfish, inconsiderate, arrogant, control freak that never had the thoughts of his soldiers wealfare in his interests. These were his complaints from soldiers.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think that some more historical reading might be required... to provide a fuller view of the man, his times, the nature of generalship, and the horrific war in which he found himself involved.

I do not intend this as a criticism of the originator of the thread..... but Patton was not a sick man.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
if he was a sick man we would have lost the war, hmmm i wonder why we didnt lose the war

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Um, I guess you never served in the military.

Oh, and never lead an entire army, won victory after victory, the respect and admiration of blah, blah blah, blah.

Well, I guess not.

geez.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Do you know anything about patton? how about rommel? these are two generals who were brillant tacticians.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You don't go down in history by being one of America's greatest generals by being a 'nice guy'.

that is what seperates the men from the boys, and leaders from followers.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
if he was a sick man we would have lost the war, hmmm i wonder why we didnt lose the war

Well I never knew that you won the war single handed? I thought that my country had fought in WWII as well. guess we better rewrite all the history books and remove all the people from other countries that thought they were part of it. I guess the 25 million russians who died fighting the germans is just a fairytale then.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yep, my view exactly, I hate these liberals who are trying to PCify him.
lame liberals have nothing better to do, i remember one who said because lincoln slept in the same room with his body guard this made him gay,

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
the guys dead leave it at that. He was a dinosaur in the fourties and wouldn't last 5 minutes in todays world. Things are very different now and there is no parallel between WWII and todays fake war on terror.

I personally couldn't care less about him.

Why don't we just get back to the topic on the forum? It called war on terror not my generals are bigger than yours

cjf

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
.....Onlybecause he was efficient in propaganda, not because he was a great american. He was a selfish, inconsiderate, arrogant, control freak that never had the thoughts of his soldiers wealfare in his interests. These were his complaints from soldiers.

Perhaps you should take the time to reach for a few books about G. S. Patton and read them, read a few more and reflect on your ‘statements’. Then maybe you might just….

"Give credit where it is due."---George S. Patton

A good start, Patton's speech to elements of the 3rd Army

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Actually, our army uses much more of Patten’s style of fighting today than we realize. He preferred to use maneuver and speed to overwhelm the enemy rather than slug it out in prepared conditions.

If his advice had been followed during the battle of the bulge we would have had a LOT less casualties and the war in Europe would probably have ended much sooner. His pincer plan would have captured several crack divisions and saved countless lives / destruction.

If anything, he cared very much about his troops. But to paraphrase Lee “To win a battle, you must be willing to order the death of the thing you love the most.”

Great generals are bastards, they fight nasty and hard. Patten was up there with Lee in American leaders. Although, having been a soldier, I’d probably prefer serving under Bradley.

[edit on 5/27/2005 by MrNice]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Patton was a BRILLIANT tactician, and a true warrior of the type that hasn't existed for centuries. Maybe his attitude didn't fit with the time but it doesn't change the fact of his brilliance. I also agree that his tactics do apply to this time, in that they served as a model that evolved over the second half of the 20th century based on manueverability and speed as Mr. Nice said.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Patton was a sick man

And what if he was?? Who cares? He was sick becuase he 'exhausted' his troops? Whats that matter? It was war, his job isn't to keep his troops happy, his job is to use them to kill and defeat the other guys troops.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
In my opinion Patton was one of the best leaders we've ever had. Sure he wasn't a nice guy but he got the job done in the most critical time in American history. His soldiers may have complained but he was extremely efficent. It is often said that the Allied general that Rommel himself had the most respect for was Patton. Yes even the great Rommel had respect for Patton.

As a side note, Patton came from a family with a lot of money. However Patton was known for occasionally using this wealth to purchase equipment for his men. That is true selflessness.

General Patton, rest in peace.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Patton was a remarkable general. You condemn him for not giving his men a chance to dig foxholes. The dude drove in the only pink tank on the field. He was a very noticable target. That took courage.

He was hardcore. The guy pushed his men to where he believed they could perform. I don't know if you've ever been involved in sports, but the best coaches are the ones who are complete dicks. They push and push to the point where you're almost in tears, but you somehow manage, and become far better as a result.

I'm just wondering where General MacArthur's been here on ATS. He, too, pushed his troops and would be considered sick by today's cushey, lovey dovey PC military standards, but he got the job done, and well. He was just a little too proud and a bit of an idiot trying to take on his boss as he did. His tactics, however, were solid, as were his men.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Don't forget he advocated the use of atomic bombs against North Korea and China in the 1950s...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Cider,

I thought that that was MacArthur???

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Cider,

I thought that that was MacArthur???

It was, I think (s)he was responding to my comments about ol' Mac

new topics

top topics