It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotic conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
In 1908, Emma Goldman gave a speech on patriotism. It was one of the most informative speeches of our time. www.memorablequotations.com...
In this speech, the use of patriotism as a tool of state is thoroughly analyzed and dissected to show patriotism for what it has become. Here is my favorite quote from this speech: “Indeed, conceit, arrogance and egotism are the essentials of patriotism. Let me illustrate. Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot consider themselves nobler, better, grander, more intelligent than those living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others.

The inhabitants of the other spots reason in like manner, of course, with the result that from early infancy the mind of the child is provided with blood-curdling stories about the Germans, the French, the Italians, Russians, etc. When the child has reached manhood he is thoroughly saturated with the belief that he is chosen by the Lord himself to defend his country against the attack or invasion of any foreigner. It is for that purpose that we are clamoring for a greater army and navy, more battleships and ammunition.”

Though this was in 1908, this statement still fits today. Patriotism is being used to not only wage a war aboard, but at home as well. All too often I have seen instances of right wing conservative start putting down any party affiliate who doesn’t agree with there ideals. They use it as a put down. They say: “You are not a true patriot if you don’t support Bush and this war!” What they are failing to understand is that to be patriotic does not mean you have to support your government. There is even a new movement to completely wipe out love of country and replace it with love of government. The Hardwood Institute has a plan called The New Patriotism Project, which is trying to redefine roles of patriots:

“The New Patriotism Project is moving Americans beyond flag-waving to a higher level of public and political engagement. The initiative is providing people with the tools and vision to improve the way political leaders, the news media and citizens conduct themselves, community by community across the country.” www.theharwoodinstitute.org...

They even have a barometer to measure just how patriotic you really are.

Another quote from Emma Goldman’s speech will help to better illustrate the patriotic point:

“What is patriotism? Is it love of one's birthplace, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations? Is it the place where, in childlike naiveté, we would watch the passing clouds, and wonder why we, too, could not float so swiftly? The place where we would count the milliard glittering stars, terror-stricken lest each one "an eye should be," piercing the very depths of our little souls? Is it the place where we would listen to the music of the birds and long to have wings to fly, even as they, to distant lands? Or is it the place where we would sit on Mother's knee, enraptured by tales of great deeds and conquests? In short, is it love for the spot, every inch representing dear and precious recollections of a happy, joyous and playful childhood?
If that were patriotism, few American men of today would be called upon to be patriotic, since the place of play has been turned into factory, mill, and mine, while deepening sounds of machinery have replaced the music of the birds. No longer can we hear the tales of great deeds, for the stories our mothers tell today are but those of sorrow, tears and grief.
What, then, is patriotism? "Patriotism, sir, is the last resort of scoundrels," said Dr. Samuel Johnson. Leo Tolstoy, the greatest anti-patriot of our time, defines patriotism as the principle that will justify the training of wholesale murderers; a trade that requires better equipment in the exercise of man-killing than the making of such necessities as shoes, clothing, and houses; a trade that guarantees better returns and greater glory than that of the honest workingman.”

It would seem that this business of patriotism as a tool of the state has been around for much longer than most of us realize. It’s no wonder that many of us grow up thinking that the only right way is the American way. It is force fed to us from the time we enter kindergarten till we graduate high school. We are taught from day one about the military accomplishments and the glory of previous battles of yesterday. The history is infused with a romantic passion that imbues the youth with ideas of national pride and a strong sense that we are right every time. There is noting wrong with national pride as long as you understand that everyone is wrong sometimes.

It seems that in out patriotic fervor we have suddenly switched the definition of a Nationalist with a Patriot. A nationalist is a person who loves and supports their government without question. Apparently, this is exactly what the right wing demographic think the definition of patriotism is.

One of the greatest literary minds of the 1900’s, Russian philosopher and writer Leo Tolstoy defines patriotism as “the principle that will justify the training of wholesale murderers".
en.wikiquote.org...

Unfortunately I am sure this is true. Patriotism is being used to bring the American population to its knees. “You’re either with us or you’re against us” mentality will prevail as long as patriotism is being vulgarized to fit the neocon agenda. Patriotism as a toll is polarizing our once mighty nation into utter incivility and garbage. It is time we stop letting the government tell us how to act. We know what is right. We know that love and kindness will always outperform and over achieve hate and murder. I love this land and its people. I love every rock, tree and child here in America. I love democracy. Why then am I unpatriotic if I question my governments’ actions? Isn’t that what democracy is all about? So the begging question here is: If I am patriotic in the neocon right sense of patriotism, does that mean I am anti-democracy?

References:
Emma Goldmans’ 1908 speech: www.memorablequotations.com...

The Hardwood Institute: www.theharwoodinstitute.org...

Wikpedia: en.wikiquote.org...

Might and Morality A Strategy for World Dominance: By D. Lindley Young, C. J. Clarke and Valdana Gunnell www.themoderntribune.com...

Lisachau: dartblogs.com...

//ed to fix link//

[edit on 27-5-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Isnt patriotism as currently accepted nothing more than political apathy? The state is using this apathy to control the people.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I voted for Bush, but I don't buy into much of his politics. And, the longer he's into his second term, the more I feel aparta from the republicans.

I've never been a flag waver, but I feel I am a patriot. I love my country, in spite of her faults.
I cannot understand the mentality whereby people put yellow ribbons around their trees, flags on their cars, decals of flags and ribbons on their cars. Flags on their homes that remain in all weather and are not illuminated at dark. Flags that are tattered and faded.
To me, that is not patriotism.

"I love my country, but I fear my government."
And seeing what the government, both "parties", are doing, I wonder if it already too late for the New Patriotism Project.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

"I love my country, but I fear my government."
And seeing what the government, both "parties", are doing, I wonder if it already too late for the New Patriotism Project.

Amuk started another thread which is examining wether there is still a two party system.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'
Very enlightening stuff.

As far as Patriotism as a tool, well, it has been used since the beginning of recorded history. While the population is succombed by the illusion of patriotism, the state sublimly slips its adgenda under the radar.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
When I see somebody using patriotism to push their political views and defend our government’s policies I feel that I am more patriotic than they are in relation of how I perceive their views over my views.

Criticizing our government is part of our constitutional rights.

In everybody’s mind it has to be some questioning about what is considered right and wrong.

Patriotism has nothing to do with it, blindness, unwillingness to recognizes mistakes and attacking fellow Americans when they fail to accept certain believes as the right ones, is as unpatriotic as selling your own nation to groups and profiteers while stepping all over the citizens rights and sacrificing your fellow Americans all at the same time.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Criticizing our government is part of our constitutional rights.

It would seem that this new form of patriotism dissagrees with you Marg. I however do not.

BTW, how have ya been?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have been fine thanks.

You know I feel lately that our politicians has gotten so caught up in their bs of personal butt kissing and pay backs that . . . radical "minorities" along with radical "majorities" are running rampant and would do anything to change and bring new laws to the constitution so they can push their radical sickness and righteousness to the rest of America all in the name of Patriotism, God and Jesus and occurs war on terror.

I have not problem with a littler dose of all of them but not when is been shove up our throughts indiscriminately.

Our government is running out of control and people thinks is all in the will of God.

Very sad indeed.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I don't remember who said it but "patroitism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" This is always what I think of when I see all these people waving a US flag made in China, attached to a Toyota. I love this country and it kills my soul to see it morph from a Republic to a CORPPORATE OLIGARCHY.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Back in my day we had to walk barefoot, 20 miles through the snow, with full bookbag just to get to school, but I also clearly remember a large wooden paddle which was applied with measurable force to the rump of students who didn't want to pledge their allegiance to our republic. We had to sing it's praises right after the pledge, often it was America the Beautiful. That was a daily ritual in my youth, that and the Diabolical Swish Lady that came aournd and made you swish Flouride around in your mouth.
Ah patriotism, the gateway to nationalism, and the tool of fanatacism. The very Bane of Twitchyism.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Back in my day we had to walk barefoot, 20 miles through the snow, with full bookbag just to get to school, but I also clearly remember a large wooden paddle which was applied with measurable force to the rump of students who didn't want to pledge their allegiance to our republic.

LOL, did you kill a bear with the spine of your notebook too?

You are right about the schools promoting this idea. It begins as soon as they are old enough to enter a class room. The only saving grace in our education system is the collegiate level universities and trade schools which are primarily leaning left. You really dont get the whole political picture in education unless you go farther than 12th grade.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

What is patriotism? Is it love of one's birthplace, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations?

No it is not, common misconception. That's called National Pride.

I think many people have the wrong definition of Patriotism. The key word is Patriot. Lets dissect the the word:

Patriot-we all know what this..I don't need to say
Ism-pretty much you add in to a word and it makes the word more like one word that descibes all the characteristics of a patriot

So a Patriot displays patriotism. You are not a patriot because you love your country, love of one's birthplace, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations, That's Nationale Pride. To me a Patriot is someone who goes far beyond the call of duty and citzenship to ones country.....we can probably only name a handful of actual American patriots.

When I think of a patriot I think of people like George Washington, Joan D'Arc, Nelson Mandella and other people that have made a huge impact towards an awesome cause. This doesnt happen that often.

National pride is good and is very common. Patriotism is very rare.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

National pride is good and is very common. Patriotism is very rare.

That is sort of my point. Nationalism has replaced Patriotism by definiton. Governments have been using this slick switch to build popularity amoung the people so their agenda can be carried out with little or no public outcry. Basically, governments use patriotism as a way to stifle the criticism they would most likely recieve from the citizens.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Back in my day we had to walk barefoot, 20 miles through the snow, with full bookbag just to get to school,

I have not seen that line since I was a young girl . . . my father used to said that to all of us all the time when we complain about anything.

He said we were growing up spoil and with not sense of resposiblility.

Oh, boy he was right.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
my father used to said that to all of us all the time when we complain about anything.

Hehe, my dad did too. Only he killed a bear with the spine of his notebook in 3 feet of snow while walking up both sides of a hill on his way to school barefoot while carrying three siblings on his back in the middle of the great depression with 10 blisters on each toe................... Oh the motivational speaches of our parents.

If only they had known what was to transpire in this country.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I dont think there is anything wrong with patriotism, its literally
love of one's father land.
Nationalism however is a belief that your nation is better than others and since nations are arbitrary divisions of land it is a completely ridiculous notion.

The problem I see is that nationalism is equated to patriotism and people are falling for it.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrpaddy
I dont think there is anything wrong with patriotism, its literally
love of one's father land.

True

But I think over the years we have adopted the word to fit only a few people who truly deserve it. People like Wallace (no, not george and yeah I know it's a movie) and Washington. People use the term all too losely these days. Personally, I reserve the word for very few people.

National pride (not nationalism) is pride of ones nation....that what many people display.....not patriotism.

I think websters should change thier definition

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

National pride (not nationalism) is pride of ones nation....that what many people display.....not patriotism.

I think websters should change thier definition

I think it is nationalism that is being confused with patriotism.

Main Entry: na·tion·al·ism
Pronunciation: 'nash-n&-"li-z&m, 'na-sh&-n&l-"i-z&m
Function: noun
: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

From Meiriam Webster

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Main Entry: na·tion·al·ism
Pronunciation: 'nash-n&-"li-z&m, 'na-sh&-n&l-"i-z&m
Function: noun
: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

I think nationalism is commonly used in the sense that you stand by your nation no matter what...kind of like in a political sense. Sort of like "America is right no matter what, just cause we're America"

placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

I think that is what nationalism is.

However national pride...is just what is sounds like...pride in ones nation.

And patriotism's definiton should be changed to something for fitting of a patriot.......the defintion from websters and dictionary.com labels almost all people as patriots. Even in todays times people reserve the word for those who go above and beyond...those who make a difference. This definition is too broad.

pa·tri·ot·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ptr--tzm)
n.
Love of and devotion to one's country.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
— Theodore Roosevelt

I do feel these words to be very true indeed. A truth that few people realize. Great posts to all of you. I just couldn’t agree more. It is a travesty that this fierce nationalism is masked as patriotism.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lethys
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
— Theodore Roosevelt

Great quote
I had never heard this one before. Its not even in Wikpedia's quote section

join