It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military opinions and war experience

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Sorry bud, compared to a real live "live fire" war, your German border guard duty is just that.

Put a sock in it ECK. Im not your "Bud"

and let me add this.....after 4 years in the Army and having served along side many soldiers ....I would bet my bottom doller You never served in the military ECK, cause a fellow soldier (specially Army) would never stand there and let a civilian insult another soldier's tour of duty....never.

US Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines always back each other up against outsiders and from what Ive seen and read here in ATS....your a back-stabber of the worst kind.

Your actions gave you away.

Maximu§

[edit on 023131p://444 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Maxi, cut it out now. Refrain from the personal attacks or I will report you.

Off the street. Im so glad you actually read every single post.
Yes that was sarcasm. You should try checking about 4 or 5 poages in when I had an epiphany and admitted I was wrong about my assumptions. If you really feel you must judge me, try reading everything before you attempt to make an informed decesion about me. I admitted I was wrong about my original theory. Are you man enough to admit you half assed read this thread and jumped to conclusions?

[edit on 7/7/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am in the U.S. Air Force myself and yet to experience any War. It will only be a matter of time for me to be deployed somewhere, either in the middle east or else where. As for my opinion on the seemed to be Worldwide War on Terro, my Commander in Chief (President Bush), and all the other conspiracy/secret related bull# involved I am more or less likely against IT ALL. I was fortunate (or should I say unfortunate) enough to have experienced 9/11 first hand by living nearly 10 minutes away from NYC when it ALL took place. From that moment on my opinions about War, Presidents, and the world in terms of political agendas were altered.

I was always involved with the belief that their are constant coverups and legitament conspiracies that ALL worldwide governments tend to conver up disloyally, but 9/11 gave me more of reason to back up my beliefs. I can't neccessary say I am completely Anti-Bush or completely against the U.S. Government, but I can say I believe that there is tons of mistrust and B.S. mongering going on such as the made up (for future marshall law, international I.D. cards, and did somebody say Patriot Act) War on Terrorism. To sum it up I am more or less likely against the U.S. Government, War as a whole, Bush, and anything to deal with whatever may be the result of covering up what us a worldwide society has the RIGHT(S) to know. It is only matter of time before it escalates into a world that is controlled by Marshall Law and whatever else the NWO (as an essence, not neccessarily as a rich, heartless group of politcally controlled people) has in store for ALL OF US.

-------U.S. Air Force--------
~ Airman Eric Adamo ~

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Sorry bud, compared to a real live "live fire" war, your German border guard duty is just that.

Put a sock in it ECK. Im not your "Bud"

and let me add this.....after 4 years in the Army and having served along side many soldiers ....I would bet my bottom doller You never served in the military ECK, cause a fellow soldier (specially Army) would never stand there and let a civilian insult another soldier's tour of duty....never.

US Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines always back each other up against outsiders and from what Ive seen and read here in ATS....your a back-stabber of the worst kind.

Your actions gave you away.
Maximu§

Gee, Max, you're awfully sensitive.

You're all wet, too.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I served in Iraq as an infantry sergeant. I did not experience Iwo Jima level carnage like Kidfinger claims to have during the first gulf war. I did spend a year dodging IED's and car bombs. I carried the bodybags of mangled friends, watched innocent civilians get shot to pieces, and probably lost a few IQ points from being too close to explosions.

I'm not a big Bush fan because of his drunken sailor spending, and disregard for our national sovereignty. I do support the war in Iraq. We are committed for better or worse.

The four days of ground operations in Desert Storm must have been hell for you. But if you were close enough to the gulf to see the water, I suspect you are a REMF. Not sure my experience stacks up enough to provide a valid opinion for you.

This whole idea that all combat veterans hate war is B.S. Sometimes it's necessary, and some of us are proud of our service. The Iraq invasion had a shaky rational I admit, and it's not the best use of our resources, but it's too late to undo it. As a nation we can't afford a Vietnam style defeat, and the damage the giving up on Iraq would cause.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I was there too. I was there for the first year, I saw the shift from fighting the Iraqi military to fighting terrorists.

IMHO: terrorists are fighters and extremists that fight for political gains not for national pride, and if you think sadr is a patriot then Bush is a conservative.

I spent a year on the ground doing patrols daily, raiding houses nightly, and getting shot at pretty regularly. I served in the infantry in a line company, with a dismount platoon. I carried a saw, and felt safe with her in my arms.

My company knew that reporters could not be trusted, because we knew the work we were doing in stabilizing and rebuilding the country always got overshadowed in news reports by insignificant levels of violence.

I support the war.

I will hear arguments about why we initially went over there and i think some of the alternatives to the official govt. line have some traction. I feel this way because my wife who was a civilian at the time heard an entire different set of reasons about why we were going to war than the military did.

I wasn't sent over there to find WMD. I was sent over there to liberate a country and depose a dictator.

After meeting and really connecting with the population over there I came to realize that people are the same wherever you go.
I think the same number of Iraqis want the US there is the same number (percentage wise) of Americans that want to get rid of welfare and other liberal programs, so, what do I mean?
I mean that it takes a certain level of intelligence and self sacrifice to change a nation. Those people in Iraq that both understand and are willing to sacrifice truly understand that we are over there to give them a chance at real western freedom. however, there are those people that are not willing to sacrifice or are uneducated that do not support the US. and of course those people get the coverage. (think of the number of reporters in a trailer park after a tornado)

so, should we be over there. YES.
should we end the war and bring the troops home, YES.
should we leave no matter what? NO, victory is acheivable, but only if the Iraqi population believe in and embrace freedom. the revolutionary war would have never have happened if it needed to occur today, much for the same reasons why the Iraqi's are not willing to stand for there one God given rights.

I have also been to GTMO (Guantanamo Bay). I have seen the enemy, the leaders are educated, smart, and devoted to the destruction of America.
I would rather fight and die with the terrorists over sees than live in fear at home of the same threat.
I think that most vets feel similar to this.

I have seen friends...brothers killed and wounded in battle.
I have lost friends to suicide, from stresses caused by the war.
I have been called a murderer in several languages on several continents.
I have been told that people were glad that my brothers died.
My reply to all of this was and still is. I am glad that my brothers and I were able to defend your right to say that, even if you aren't.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Well, I've been to war, saw a few people blown to shreds, and watched a man cook to death.

*Shrug* For all the compassion and empathy I had, I've never once had a nightmare, nor do I spend the latter portions of my life lamenting those days.

It seems to me that most of the soldiers who complain, and have all these war stories, mostly weren't actually the soldiers in the worst scenarios. I have a great deal of empathy for those truly stricken by PTSD, but since I now work in that field I know that most of you are full of bull#.

You can justify, self gratify, and seek out sympathy all across the globe if you desire, but ultimately, for every person who comes on a forum and declares their horror and misery, there are a thousand more who do their job, and drive on.

Take any stance you want on it. War has existed since mankind has existed. It is simply how it is. Russia attacked Georgia just recently. Iraq invaded Kuwait several years back. South Korea has endured and survived more than 5000 wars.

War is in human nature. With it comes death, misery, and sacrifice, but without it, we wouldn't even have the basic freedom to post our opinion on these forums. War is a miserable, horrible thing, but until people are all in unison, it will continue, and soldiers will continue to fight these wars...for better or worse, until either we all destroy one another, or a middle ground is found across the globe.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by SportyMB

Simply put it all comes down to percantages of each group.

I know this is a fairly Liberal board. That is not in question. Why do you think these people support the war without ever having been in one?

I agree with you and in my opinioin and being a military vet with dedicated service and three tours in Afghanistan I can say this much, war is hell, my body is beat up and still tired, I hardly sleep still and think Ive spoken about my personal expierences only a handful of times and thats my choice. Ive seen people I consider friends not come home but nobody forced me to join, I joined because I wanted to and again served proudly. I think we need to pull our people out and deploy them to our borders..Bottom line is this..You can be liberal or radical hard core republican, you can show disapproval to the war(BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DO) but show support to our service people, they all joined voluntarily to make a difference but nevertheless they volunteered nobody put a gun to my head or theirs, Its what you make of it..and in the words of Sgt Forrest Gump.."Thats all I got to say about that"

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join