It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Indonesian Court Sentences Australian To 20 Years Jail Amidst Death Threats

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:36 PM
Here is a thought.
Since money talks, boycott the whole country. Lots of other places to visit and spend your hard earned cash. If you can be set up like she was, tourists beware.

And to think the Muslim Cleric that was convicted of the nightclub bombing only got 37 months!

[edit on 27-5-2005 by valkeryie]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:58 PM
Whether she's guilty or not is beside the point, 20 years is ridiculous. The supposed mastermind of the Bali bombings only got a mere 2 years!

In my opinion, their laws are biased. An indonesian killing hundreds of foreigners only gets a slap on the wrist, whereas a foreigner with a lot of reasonable doubt gets 20 years.

Not to mention those judges found everyone suspected of drug smuggling guilty.

I'd hate to be those judges now, but I'd love to be a hired assassin.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:07 PM
Thanks iridescent.

But if the prosecution only has to provide a case to answer and the defendant is obliged to prove they are not guilty, that is guilty-till-proven-innocent. The French legal system is the same.

Any one can set you up with a prima facie charge, much like this specific case. The burden of proof should be on the prosecution as invariably you are forced to prove a negative. How do you prove that you did not handle those drugs and that some one didnt plant it there? How? You'd have to provide the court with those that DID plant the drugs. Completely out of the realm of a defendant whilst in custody.

In a British style court it would be the prosecution that would have to prove, beyond all doubt, that she actually did put the drugs there herself. If there was no evidence except the drugs being in her bags and in light of her bags going through a baggage handling drug smuggling ring, the case would of been thrown out of court. And rightly so.

[edit on 27/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:31 PM
2 years for multiple murders, of many Austrailians, among others..hmmm

20 years for a questionable smuggling charge, given to an Austrailian..double hmmm..

There is a problem here. But all justice systems have flaws, loopholes, etc..

Once the Austrailian government starts making a lot of noise about this, we may discover the ulterior motives behind this verdict..

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:57 PM
Schapelle Corby was always going to be found guilty they wanted to make an example of her and besides she didnt have enough cash to be found innocent. Corby was in Indonesia thus she subject to the laws and customs of that country.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:15 PM
Such misinformation. Bashir was acquitted of any involvement with JI in one trial. In his second trial, he was also found to be not involved in the Bali bombings however that he approved of them. He got 30 months for conspiring against others i believe.

On the other hand, Corby got 20 years while a french man in very similar circumstances got the death penalty. Where's the justice there?

If there was enough evidence to disprove her guilt, she would of been let off.

Hopefully she'll suffer for the drug smuggling scum that she is in a indonesian jail for 20 years and not be transferred into our comfortable prisons.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:10 AM
I find this horrifying. It could be any of us here who visit Indonesia. All she did wrong was not lock her luggage.

No one smuggles drugs INTO Indonesia, where she would have lost tens of thousands of dollars in profit from selling them.

Man I hope somone organizes a boycott Indonesia holidays campaign. That will hit those corrupt #$#@#$ where it hurts, as Bali is on of the biggest holiday destinations for Australians.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:23 AM
Yeah thats a good point. Who would want to smuggle drugs INTO Indonesia?

That marijuana that she took FROM Australia would of sold for a lot more there than in Indonesia. Also she wouldnt of ran the risk of getting a death sentence.

Also how did she plan on selling it when she was there? How long was her visa for? A few months to sell all that weed?

It doesnt make sense.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:31 AM
well from what i gather from what ford said, the baggage handlers were suppose to only be airlifting the drugs from brisbane to sydney and they mucked up and it ended up going to indonesia. Even if this is true it seems pretty dumb to put the bag on a filght from brisbane to sydney when it only takes a few hours to drive, with a far less likely chance that you would get caught

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:34 AM
ive never been to bali myself, but a few friends of mine say that when they go they never buy weed from locals because they fear they might be undercovers or informants. not sure how long her visa was though.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
The solution seems simply enough. Boycott Bali. See how long it takes for their economy to tank. Maybe another tsunami will take care of them altogether.

Why is no one using the word racism or discrimination? If the situation were reversed the UN would have a resolution, Amnesty International would be honking their horn, and the world press would be up in arms.

The point is: we have to accept tyranny and injustice as "cultural norms" in this bright beautiful p.c. world of ours.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by adamzero]

[edit on 28-5-2005 by adamzero]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:43 AM
Why is it racisit, she got caught with 9lbs of weed in her bag, whether she is guilty or not she would be tried in any court.

what could be considered racist is the fact that australians wholeheartleadly backed her up but when Mamdouh Habib an australian citizen was held without charge for 2 years in gitto, noone here gave a hoot, and when he was released again without charge everyone branded him as a terrorist.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:42 AM
Weed is cheap over why would anyone risk smuggling weed in?? Simple. Weed varies in price, and principally its not so much the quality of the weed, but the 'quality' of the person selling it.

The fact is you can sell weed for an exceptional profit to other foriegners IF you are a foriegner...the reason being that normally you can't be overly sure if the person you're buying from is an undercover Policeman or not. For an Aussie to sell Aussie weed over there, to other would make a mint.

I reckon she's guilty...and should have been strung up to make a one-woman-windchime...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 06:49 AM
thats very true right alien. friends of mine who have gone many times my hubby included b4 i met him say they never buy from locals, because they thought they might be informants or undercover cops, and they pay an inflated price. Its not as far fetched as people are making it out to be. there are a few things about this case that do bother me. Her witness Ford testified that he overheard the alleged drug traffickers plans were to move the drugs from brisbane to sydney there was a muck up and it ended up in indonesia. Why move the drugs on a plane from brisbane to sydney? considering that its only a five or six hour drive and there is a minimum of possibility of getting caught. is gas getting that expensive? Lets say there is even a possibily that they flew the drugs, why put them on an international filight? Regardless of this Ford's testimony is hearsay, and shoddy at best, the guy he pointed out as the owner of the drugs seem to be a small time criminal, and he didn't get the info that the drugs were his from the guy himself but from two other people who said they were his. and he even admitted that 90% of the crriminal gossip in jail was all bull. even beyond that when asked who actually planted the drugs he says if he mentions the name of the person he and Corby would be killed. wasn't this the whole point of him being allowed to testify? kind of dissapointing for Corby and anyone in australia traveling through brisbane airport not to know this baggage handler who could be still working there and who could be planting drugs in our bags. This guy could have put an end to specultation, presuming that she is innocent, and that ford's testimony has merit, he gets let off the hook and everyone beats up on the indonesian system. don't get me wrong i do believe the system has flaws but to put it all on them is just no right IMHO. Im still not concrete certain, but i would like ford to name names an investigation to be held by australian authorities, its neceassary now to try to help her in her appeal.
here is a story on ford's testimony:

top topics

<< 1   >>