It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: NBC clashes with Tom DeLay on Law & Order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
U.S. House of Representative Majority Leader Tom DeLay has accused NBC of slurring his name. At issue is the season finale of the police drama "Law & Order: Criminal Intent". In the episode two judges are killed by right wing extremist. A police officer is heard to state "Maybe we should put out an APB (all-points-bulletin) for somebody in a Tom DeLay T-shirt". Delay claims this jab was in response to his calls for closer oversight of the judiciary.

news.yahoo.com
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representative Majority Leader Tom DeLay accused NBC on Thursday of slurring his name by including an unflattering reference to him on the NBC police drama "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

DeLay's name surfaced on Wednesday night on the show's season finale, which centered on the fictional slayings of two judges by suspected right-wing extremists.

In the episode, police are frustrated by a lack of clues, leading one officer to quip, "Maybe we should put out an APB (all-points-bulletin) for somebody in a Tom DeLay T-shirt."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tom Delay seems to be in everybody cross hairs these days. His over-reaction to this speak volumes for how out of control he has become. Perhaps this comment struck close to home for the good speaker. Satire particularly of the political kind is a Supreme Court tested right, just ask Jerry Falwell. No doubt the kind he would desire to take away with his careful 'monitoring" of the judiciary. No doubt we are seeing the "third prong" on the religious rights assault on government as they go after judges.

[edit on 5/27/05 by FredT]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My personal favorite quote from the original article was

Producer Dick Wolf, creator of the "Law & Order" franchise, took a swipe at DeLay in his own statement on Thursday, saying, "I ... congratulate Congressman DeLay for switching the spotlight from his own problems to an episode of a TV show."

I would think that before DeLay made an issue of the program publicly he would have taken the time to watch the episode in question which he admits he hasn't. Not that it would change his mind but I wouldn't admit that I was complaining about something that I haven't even seen.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well since the Schiavo case failed to divert attention from his ethical issues, maybe going after a TV show might help. Hmmmm anybody remember Dan Quale and Murphy Brown

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Good to see you posting again Fred -- hope this means all is well on the home front again.

Maybe the Producers of Law and Order will ask him to be on the show
like you said the guest appearance on Murphy Brown had a pretty high rating if I remember correctly. Stranger things have happened....

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hmm funny how he has a problem with this but is he there to enforce equal protection from the same kind of satire for others? I mean, how many times do we see slurs against muslims in Hollywood when they are invariably the terrorists? Seems DeLay has a problem with free speech and thats a problem here, not a TV show quip.

[edit on 27/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
him and everyoneneeds to relax. But if it's considered acceptable for every minority to scream racism and find offense in anything pointed towards their one self-defined group, then it should be acceptable to all. Jesse Jackson should be right there defending. Racism or discrimination and other lawsuit inducing "offenses" cannot be arbitrary or subjectively defined. The legal system needs to work in objective standards that affect all, equally. Or, stay out completely.

Not bloody likely, of course. But this shows what the society of blame and the "political correctness" and hyper sensitivity movements have created.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Saw it, it was great! I didn't even think of Delay till I saw this. Kinda like how I didn't think SW3 was anti-Bush until the GOP said it was and tried to get the rating upped/banned!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
james, SW3 had nothing to do with bush, these lame liberals and their BS

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nope, SW3 would've been just as disappointing had there been no GW for the libbys to blame everything on.

Just like the newest dump mistakenly called "The War of the Worlds". The mroe I read of script leaks and interviews with the actors, the more I wonder-why even start with a known movie title if you're going to change things so fundamentally?

SW and WotW made strong political points that were more like comments on society and the general human condition. Trying hard to modify them to fit short term partisan obstructionism guarantees the film will fail the test of time.

Hell, did everyone forget that the best way to comment on politics is thru satire? I suppose after seeing the Hitchhiker's Guide movie, though, it's obvious Hollywood doesn't *get* satire and subtlety. My apologies to our UK brethren over that kludge on film.

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
james, SW3 had nothing to do with bush, these lame liberals and their BS

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It didn't, the GOP said it did. They even went to CONGRESS and debated it. They then tried to get the rating bumped up from PG-13 to R because, according to the GOP, it was anti-Bush.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That point is lost on some buddy considering us lefties are to blame for everything any way. Its only natural that they would start blaming things they said on us as well.

top topics

join