It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Crosses Burn in the South

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
On wednesday night, three crosses were burned in Durham, NC at three different locations. One location had flyers about the Klu Klux Klan. The mayor and other city officials stated that this is the first time in recent memory that crosses have been burned. Many are surprised about the incident since during the civil rights movement the city was known for its racial civility.

www.ibiblio.org
Durham police are investigating three cross burnings. The first seven foot cross was set fire on the lawn of a progressive Episcopal church. The second burned on South Roxboro Street and the last was at a downtown intersection.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It amazes me that everyone is so surprised of the incident. The country has been blinded by the media on this topic for several years. The KKK never really did go away just was in the back of our minds. This should be a concern with many people today. As illegal immagration and religious tensions grow, I am sure we will see more crosses burn. Man will always have a voice, and will never be muted no matter how hard we try.

Related News Links:
www.wxii12.com
wfmynews2.com

[edit on 27-5-2005 by ncbrian211]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
We should burn three KKK members. They make me so mad. If they were not cowards then maybe I could give a little respect.

ALL you KKK COWARDS go to Hell!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I agree with SC here... not that we should burn 3 members... but that they make me so angry....

I used to listen to Howard Stern quite often, he has a guest from time to time who is a KKK member... can't think of the name... I used to get so angry listening to him speak...

Its sad that the KKK can still strike fear into the hearts of people with stupid acts like this..

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Daniel Carver is his name, he is so so bad.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
America is sliding from Scientific enlightenment back to Religious ignorance.

Isn't this just the logical outgrowth of that?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
i am saddened that the kkk seem to be trying to reemerge into what they were in the past. i know that they have remained in the background, like a lepper hideing from the non-lepers. i had hoped that there hatred had at least started to decline, but i see that that was just wishfull thinking. they are truely a depicable group that is amoung the worst that humanity has to offer. i hope that this will prove to be just an icolated inncident and not the rekindleing of the hatred that they stand for.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Presumption Of Guilt

Was it the KKK, or some pranksters?

Yes, there are klansmen lurking about, I don't doubt it. But do they really want this kind of publicity?

Maybe, but I smell a ploy.

I would like to know who actually did this, and why.

The answer might -- or might not -- surprise us all.

Let's see who tries to capitalize on this.

[edit on 5/28/2005 by Majic]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Having grown up in Durham, I am surprised that cross burnings would occur there. There is some urban segregation, but throughout all my experience, I have never met anyone with ill intention towards black people. I would either suspect that these acts were committed by someone outside of the Durham city limits or outside of Durham altogether.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

I have to ask the same thing. I have lived in the South all my life and while I admit we still have racial problems just like the North, East and West,
(Not to mention every country on Earth) we are hardly the seething pool of racial hatred we are often portrayed as. I can count every Klan Member I have ever meet on both hands and I am 55 years old.

My first bet would be drunk teenagers

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Very sad to see these redneck white trash wannabe neo nazi's still around.

Guess they are still inbreading to keep the klan alive.

No wonder they sound so F't-up when they talk ! Ya got any jimmy dean suasage to go with that there cross ?

Just more signs of the times- Nationality against nationality.

Be vewy vewy quiet, Were Hunting Klansman !

Someone needs to take care of these wannabe thugs.

To all the Klansman: I piss then spit fire on your grave !

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
What do you expect from a group of people that think NASCAR is a religion?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Spitting Fire At The Mirror

Originally posted by Truthisoutthere
Very sad to see these redneck white trash wannabe neo nazi's still around.

Very sad to see cultural and ethnic bigotry alive and well on ATS.

If you truly oppose such hateful doctrines, you would do well to refrain from practicing them yourself.

Even NASCAR is a better religion than that.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
"NASCAR a religion"

It was when Dale was still around...................

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
What is the meaning behind the cross being burned?

I know it's a KKK thing, and it is done a their meetings and such, but what is it supposed to mean.

And if you know, when did it start.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Cruciform Arson

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
What is the meaning behind the cross being burned?

It's apparently a ritual that Klansmen used to engage in at their meetings, and not originally targeted at anyone.

That apparently came later, but not much later, I would imagine, in light of why the Klan formed in the first place.

The flaming cross itself is apparently a central symbol of Klan ideology.

A very interesting discussion on the subject can be found in the U.S. Supreme Court decision a couple of years ago:

VIRGINIA v. BARRY ELTON BLACK

All in all, that was a fascinating case.

In this case, I think Amuk is probably correct in suspecting drunken teenagers.

The Klan still exists, as does hatred in all forms, even as illustrated within this thread, but I'm skeptical that actual Klansmen did this.

Still, you never know.

The Ku Klux Klan hasn't earned a reputation for subtlety, after all.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
A bit of semantics here.

Does it lessen the matter if it was drunken teenagers burning crosses? The intent would be the same irrespective of who it came from: to instill fear into black citizens

Also by definition, a Klansmen, should be something to attract disdain and contempt. So even if they are not guilty for this cross burning they are still guilty of racism and intimidation simply by being a Klansmen.

[edit on 28/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

It's apparently a ritual that Klansmen used to engage in at their meetings, and not originally targeted at anyone.

Let me put one in your front yard, tell me if you feel targeted.

I almost feel you are defending them.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Burning Straw Men

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Let me put one in your front yard, tell me if you feel targeted.

I almost feel you are defending them.

Is this sort of finger-pointing part of the solution or part of the problem?

My opinions on Klansmen should be pretty easy to figure out.

What I would prefer to see from my fellow ATS members is an interest in the truth, rather than a penchant for jumping to conclusions and preaching to the choir.

If you want to deceive yourself, that's your choice, but I advise against it.

Attacking me will serve no worthwhile purpose.

For the record, I prefer not to talk about my personal details more than I need to online, but if it makes you feel better, then pay attention, because I don't say this often:

I'm one of their targets.

Please consider your words as carefully as you consider mine.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
No attack, just trying to see your point.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I have to ask the same thing. I have lived in the South all my life and while I admit we still have racial problems just like the North, East and West,
(Not to mention every country on Earth) we are hardly the seething pool of racial hatred we are often portrayed as. I can count every Klan Member I have ever meet on both hands and I am 55 years old.

My first bet would be drunk teenagers

Anything's possible, but I know NC. Our drunk teenagers aren't the type to attack a "progressive Episcopal church" as a prank. Too subtle.

Jesse Helms is still God here. The Greensboro Klan versus "commie" shootout of 25 years ago is as fresh as yesterday. Not only are Democrats excommunicated from church, but your local pastor probably knows more "'n-word', wetback and turd tapper" jokes than Don Rickles and Red Foxx combined.

I'm not saying it's necessarily the Klan or even organized, but I'd give good odds it's Baptists. The political kind.

Not that NC isn't progressive in some areas, especially economically and in education. But there's a giant tobacco bubble stretching from appalachia to the beach not even remotely of the same temporal plane the rest of America experiences.

You've really got to experience it to understand.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by RANT]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join