It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I Feel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If George HW Bush did not go back on his "No new taxes" pledge he would have beat Clinton. When he broke his pledge he sent alot of Republican voters to Perot. Add Bush and Perot #'s against Clinton, and you will see it was Bush that beat himself.

Our current President learned alot from his father, and the main lesson is never go back on you word, and never compromise with Democrats.

[edited big quote, try not to use generalized quotes nor multiple-layered quotes - nygdan ]

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Carseller,

So let me see if I can get the chronology of this correct,

1) The only legally elected POTUS Bush makes a claim for "No New Taxes" which he cannot or will not be able to stick to.
2) Democrats and Bush come to an agreement.
3) Republican voters and senior Party members abandon Bush, as the feel he has "sold them down the river".
4) Clinton is legally elected.

As far as I can see there was no chance for the Democrats to "stab Daddy Bush in the back", since they could not get near him for Republicans giving him a right good kicking.

Republicans - We have not met a tax cut for the rich we did not like.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
@ BillHicksRules

You are close, but you forget the fact that the same Democrats Bush compromised with, also joined the jilted Republicans.

That is the reason you don't compromise with Democrats. You tee off conservative Republicans and then you lose elections.

If Bush doesn't compromise, Perot stays out of the race and Bush beats Clinton.

It's not that hard to figure out. Now do you understand why conservatives get upset with compromises with Democrats? We have been burned before.

//removed unnecessary quoting of the entire post which immedaitely precedes this comment//

[edit on 14-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   

That is the reason you don't compromise with Democrats. You tee off conservative Republicans and then you lose elections.

So basically you are blaming Democrats for Bush's inability to please his own party? Surely this is his fault?
The fact that Bush had to make a deal at all seems to suggest he knew his policy wouldn't work...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
@ cmdrpaddy

I am putting the full blame on HW Bush. He was the one that broke his pledge. Democrats just did what Democrats do. He should have known better. Raising taxes, no matter how much Democrats want you to, doesn't work.

Never compromise with Democrats, it just doesn't work.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Carseller,

Originally posted by Carseller4
I am putting the full blame on HW Bush. He was the one that broke his pledge. Democrats just did what Democrats do. He should have known better. Raising taxes, no matter how much Democrats want you to, doesn't work.

Never compromise with Democrats, it just doesn't work.

How do reconcile the above post with your statement earlier in this thread,

"How about George HW Bush and his "Read my lips, No new taxes"? Democrats pushed for him to break this pledge, and applauded him when he broke the pledge. But when election time came they crucified him with it."

Which is it to be the fault of the Democrats or the fault of the Republicans?

I think you will find that the Democrats were the only honourable party in this whole saga.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Carseller,

How do reconcile the above post with your statement earlier in this thread,

"How about George HW Bush and his "Read my lips, No new taxes"? Democrats pushed for him to break this pledge, and applauded him when he broke the pledge. But when election time came they crucified him with it."

Which is it to be the fault of the Democrats or the fault of the Republicans?

I think you will find that the Democrats were the only honourable party in this whole saga.

Cheers

BHR

Is it honorable to persuade someone to do something, then crush them for doing it?

I don't blame the Republicans at all. Bush got what he deserved when he compromised with Democrats. Sure I wish he wouldn't have, that would have spared us of 8 years of Clinton. But you learn from your mistakes, and that is why the current Bush seems to be stubborn on many issues, when he is just standing firm on what he believes, unlike his father.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Carseller,

"Is it honorable to persuade someone to do something, then crush them for doing it? "

You tell me.

Which party and family was it that told SH that they would not be bothered if Kuwait was annexed by Iraq?

And then promptly bombed them for back to the Stone Age not once but twice?

The correct spelling of the word you are looking for for that CV is "HYPOCRITE".

Cheers

BHR

top topics

<< 1   >>

join