It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So begins my journey...(question for the masons)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
so i finally took that first step to actually go to the local masons lodge last nite, upon being invited by the master after a short talk with him on the phone. up until this point i have been constantly reading about the organization, and its history, and yes, hearing both sides of the coin regarding societies views on its membership. and lets just say i just got tired of reading and researching about it, and figured why the hell dont i just get up and go down there, and actually meet these people, to get a real vibe on how they are. because up until this point, everything has been pushing me towards it, because every con ive read usually has come from ultra consipracy theorists, and uber right wing conservative christians, with no valid ground to stand on, with regards to the hate towards the organization...and every pro ive read has been really impressive to me.

ive always really loved the ideology the masons have regarding, truth, charity, and above all, family. i love the community outreach...theyre always raising money for some good cause, and i love the idea of the fellowship it can offer.

but back to my point, i went to the lodge last nite (wed. nite) and i was REALLy really impressed with the people. i was kind of nervous at first when i got there (they were prepping for their 2nd degree ceremony), but once i introduced myself to the steward, all that nervousness just went away. by no means am i exaggerating but everyone i met in that lodge, and i must have met at least a dozen or more...these men were the most open, emotionally generous, caring, warm, and kindest men ive ever met. they made me feel at home, while at the same time with the understanding that they were not selling me anything..that i had to do wut i just did...which is come to them.

they made me feel like one of them, and i wasnt even that just yet..and i could tell it wasnt forced, that this was how these men were all the time....and honestly it really moved me. living in the world we do today where no one cares about anyone else, where u could get stabbed on the street, and no one would look twice...it was really refreshing and moving to see this group of men, who, pardon my french, seemed to really genuinely give a **** about something, and above all, their fellow man.

so needless to say, ive already called the master tonite, told him my sign up fee and application are ready...he invited me to meet him at the lodge on sat. morning to give to him then...then he will elect a comittee this coming wed. of 3 people to come to my home and talk with me and my family as well as answer any questions my wife might have for them.. then after that he said they will report back to him, and if everything looks good, i am looking at becoming an E.A. by July. im so very excited.

but i guess my question is (directed at the masons)....how long does it usually take to get to the 3rd degree...lets say if you really took things seriously, and you put a good deal of effort into it, and did the best you could..wuts the reasonable timeline? im not in a rush, just wondering what it usually is. Thanks!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
...for actually taking the initiative to go to the lodge and meet with the brethren. I, like you, am not a Mason yet, but if all goes well I do intend on joining at some point in the (near?) future.

As far as your question, to the best of my understanding, it really just depends on the lodge; ie, how often they confer degrees, how fast you learn your parts, etc. Most Masons will probably tell you not to rush it, as there is alot to take in and reflect on between the degrees. Generally I think it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months though, if you want a definite answer. It really depends on you and your lodge.

Cheers, and congratulations on you decision. I am sure you won't regret it.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Fantastic, you've done yourself a great service by being openminded enough to go and meet these men and see what they are about. Good for you! I'm a little predjudice about the subject myself, as I am now studying with a coach for my 1st degree. I have not been disappointed with my experience so far.

As far as how long it takes to become a Master Mason, it is my understanding that it can take as little as a few weeks, all the way to years, depending on how ernestly you pursue it. But in the case of your lodge you would have to ask them.

My coach has been very easy to get in contact with and been very accomodating to me, and I'm very appreciative of him for this. I hope to be ready to take my first degree this next week or possibly the following week. It really depends on how well I do in the next couple of days and when he thinks I'm ready to proceed. Also, it depends on when the WM can be available.

Good Luck

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hey yin_yang, congratulations on taking the first step. You are first considered a mason in your heart. By taking that step and seeking out what Freemasonry has to offer, it is believed that you are already a Freemason in your heart. Now you just have to be made a mason in your mind

Much like you, I knew nobody at the lodge when I was first interested, and I gained a lot of respect from the brethren at the lodge because I had the balls to go down and talk with a large group of men whom I did not know, and it really showed them my desire for being part of their organization.

There used to be a rule in most lodges, throughout the US, that a mason could not spend less than 28 days between each degree. I don't know how many Grand Lodges still practice this, but I do know that some places like Texas still do. I think 3 - 6 months is an average timeline to becoming a Master Mason in the US. It took me a little more than 4 months to be raised.

But, like Axeman said, do not be in a hurry to get raised. There is A LOT to learn, and A LOT to take in. Nowadays, the standards for proficiency examinations are lower than in the past, and many masons get their 3rd degree without ever really learning anything significant about the esoteric side of Freemasonry. Do not make this mistake, as your raising will not mean anywhere near as much to you if you don't have a strong masonic foundation to stand on.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Congratulation Yin_Yang and welcome.

As Sebatwerk said, there is a lot to learn. Don't rush, enjoy the jurney. The degrees are only the beginning of your travles. There is much more to each of the degrees than the catachism.

Each step of a jurney will teach you someting new, if you will let it.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yin_Yang,

Congratulations on both your initiative and choice to join our fine Craft. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Freemasonry like most things, you get out of it what you put into it. Enjoy your journey and keep us updated on your progression.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
thank you all for your kind words...and dont get me wrong like i said im not in a hurry, just wanted to know what it typically is.

top topics

join