It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidisestablishmentarianism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
Realistically, if this country became a republic, there would be a drop in tourism profits by at least £1 billion.

- That is just guessing and belief, not a factual statement od any kind.

The amount of tourism into this country practically rests on seeing the Queen

- Nonsense, what tiny % of tourists coming to the UK actually see the Royals in person?!

Buckingham palace and other royalty-related stuff.

- Would all still be there for people to come and see in their droves as they would continue to do.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Anyways, when the current Queen dies, a republican system will take place in the UK, whitehall already has the plans for it.

I hope that's true. Charles as king would be a total embarrassment. I like the Queen, she does a good job and always maintains her dignity but I think she should be the last monarch.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
I hope that's true. Charles as king would be a total embarrassment. I like the Queen, she does a good job and always maintains her dignity but I think she should be the last monarch.

This country needs a republican system, a modern system is needed for our land. We can remove the Monarchy after the death of the Queen, reform the constitution, so we have a written one, and make plans for a President.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by Longy4eva
Realistically, if this country became a republic, there would be a drop in tourism profits by at least £1 billion.

- That is just guessing and belief, not a factual statement od any kind.

Few tourists ever see the Queen or any member of her family. When they have gone the tourists will still be able to watch the Changing of the Guard and other ceremonies. And they will also be able to tour Buckingham Palace and view the royal treasures. That will mean more foreign income for Britain.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Antidisestablishmentarianism:
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: originally, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England, now opposition to the belief that there should no longer be an official church in a country
Example: When people are asked for the longest word they know, they often say antidisestablishmentarianism

Personnaly, I think it is about time Britain seperated the Church and State, although the Royal Family will still exist the Government would just stop donating money to them and certain things such as "Black Rod" and the "Queen's Speech" would stop happening. Instead we would move to a written constitution and a President; who will fill these roles and be given the same powers as the Queen. (Military and a Veto on laws.)

However, this will not stop them being head of the Church this is a different thing all together which the Government have no power on. The reason they are head of the Church is because they founded it. (Henry the 8th).

Also tourism would not stop, because the Royal Family would still exist. Just because they have lost their powers over the Army and the Veto does not stop them being Royalty, the ascribed status would always exist and always will till they die out. Also they own so much property and shares in so many businesses it would be hard to get rid of them.

Oh yeah and on a quick note; the idea of "Separation of Church and State" existed back in Greece when the Greek's used a system of "Direct Democracy." It was ued to get around the idea that Religion should be involved in the "Day to Day" running of Government.

Edit:

Also why would the Church of England have a problem with divorce? The first Head of the Church of Engladn was Henry the 8th who divorced a lot...

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Odium]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join