It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidisestablishmentarianism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ok, it's been said to be one of the biggest words commonly used in the English language, but what is it really?

As far as I understand, it's the opposition to the removal of the British royal family as the head of the Church of England. How many antidisestablishmentarianists are there on ATS? I'd like to see how many people support the Royal Family as their spirtual leaders....

If you support them, do you see a conpiracy against them? If so, why does it exist?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Hi Djohn.......I just wanted to congradulate you for you use of such a BIG word. Is this not the biggest real word?

That 'supercalla' word from Merry Poppins was not a real word.

I am an American and have no opinions as to the Royall Family......we have Bush over here

[edit on 26-5-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Yikes.

Anyway, I'd like to see what happens if Chaz 'n Camilla become king and queen. The C of E forbids divorce, yet they are not only both divorced, but were cheating on their spouses with each other. How can they be head of the C of E? It'd be like having a pope who covered up child abuse.
Whoops.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I thought Supercalifragilisticxpaledocious was the longest word. Hmm

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think you got it pretty much on the head djohnsto77. I was always under the assumption it initially had to do with seperation of church and state in the US, but we could've stolen it from the Brits for that. Not that we've ever stolen anything from another nation before or anything...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Ghandi walked barefoot, didn't eat much, was spiritual, and due to his diet, had bad breath.

He was a SuperCallousedFragileMysticHexedbyHalitosis
I think thats longer.

I myself would probably be an anti-Antidisestablishmentarianist. I think..being a triple negative, I'm not real sure..but maybe thats why they created such a word. hmmm, for or against..I can't tell...

Here on this page is a really long chemical name..along with a brief discussion on antithingamabobism..
www.straightdope.com...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
That 'supercalla' word from Merry Poppins was not a real word.

Originally posted by dgtempe
I thought Supercalifragilisticexpaledocious was the longest word. Hmm

I think I first learned of this word in a text talking about Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and saying that this was really the longest real word. Maybe we've read the same thing TRG & dg!

[edit on 5/27/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
In Norway there is a technical word
Transientintermodulasjonsforvrengningskarakteristikk

actually it might be split up, like this:
Transient intermodulasjonsforvrengningskarakteristikk

Long word, huh?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
wait so why couldn't they just call them pro monarchists?
Yet another example of fine dry british humor we americans aren't supposed to get probably. Like Are you being served

Oh and sorry humour not humor crazy extra U's and Y's insead of I's

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Yikes.

Anyway, I'd like to see what happens if Chaz 'n Camilla become king and queen.

Not happening, the government wouldnt back it. Anyways, when the current Queen dies, a republican system will take place in the UK, whitehall already has the plans for it.

(As you can tell i am UK republican)

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Nice post.... I remember talking about the word antidisestablishmentarianism back in grade 10. We used it for a report once and our teacher was astonished.

Here is one for you guys to look up. It is the longest word in the english language. PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS
NIOSIS

[edit on 5-27-2005 by CPYKOmega]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Call me old fashioned but I am for Queen and country. I got nothing against the royal family being the head of the church either, there have been worse pope's you know.

To lose the royal family would be to lose a part of our culture and character of Britain and the commonwealth.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't think the King and Queen should be head of the church....
Especially Charles.....

Im American and really don't care...just thought I'd give mu 2 cents

cjf

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oddly enough, a word coming into convention, which is used to cite referenced very, very lengthy words, is equally as alphabetically stacked in English:

Hippopotomonstrososquipedalian

( Link )

As for the separation of ‘church’ from ‘government’: There is enough politics and corruption in each to keep both groups on their heels and participants on the defensive while providing observers with a continuous stream filled with amazement and entertainment for years to come. Let them be separate so each can be accountable for their respective actions or lack thereof.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by cjf]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis,
also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as "a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust." At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.
But another genius beat me to it

Everytime i try to show off........

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sugarlump
wait so why couldn't they just call them pro monarchists?
Yet another example of fine dry british humor we americans aren't supposed to get probably. Like Are you being served

Oh and sorry humour not humor crazy extra U's and Y's insead of I's

slight hijack: My favorite was Some Mothers Do Have Em. I watched it in the mid 8o's when I was stationed in Bermuda. It was very funny.

Back on topic: I will not pretend to be enlightened in Brittish politics. I think that most of the people in the UK are probably as against legislating religion as we are in the states.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by Nygdan
Yikes.

Anyway, I'd like to see what happens if Chaz 'n Camilla become king and queen.

Not happening, the government wouldnt back it. Anyways, when the current Queen dies, a republican system will take place in the UK, whitehall already has the plans for it.

(As you can tell i am UK republican)

Realistically, if this country became a republic, there would be a drop in tourism profits by at least £1 billion. The amount of tourism into this country practically rests on seeing the Queen, Buckingham palace and other royalty-related stuff. Anyway, Antidis.. as far as i heard (if memory serves correctly) it is about being against Christianity. i know its to do with christianity anyway, oh and congrats, that's the first time i've seen that word spelt correctly, EVER lol. even on telly its spelt wrong lol. oh well, never mind eh

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis,
also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as "a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust." At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.
But another genius beat me to it

Everytime i try to show off........

I am honored by your kind words.
We still haven't gotten into the chemical compounds! lol here is one for example.

Chemical name for "Tryptophan Synthetase" protein

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalany
lalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalany
lphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspa
rtylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleu
cylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspar
tylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylser
ylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonyliso
leucylglutaminylaspfraginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylpheny
lalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcyste
inylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylargin
ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylgl
ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylpheny
lalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalany
ltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylva
lylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglu
taminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalan
ylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucy
lphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartyl
aspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryl
tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylseryl
arginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparag
inylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucy
lvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalany
lprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylser
ylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylas
partylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylser
ylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhi
stidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethio
nylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylp
rolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
CPYKOmega,

Hey!

I already said that...ok, I didn't actually say it...If I had said it, I'd STILL be saying it...Probably good it's a three day weekend, as I may TRY to say it later this evening..

What I meant to say is..I linked to that word..LOL

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
As far as I understand, it's the opposition to the removal of the British royal family as the head of the Church of England.

- Er, no. Not so.
It actually means opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.

Or, a little less formally and in a broader sense, opposition to the belief that there should not be an official 'established' (or legally 'prime') church in a country.

How many antidisestablishmentarianists are there on ATS?

- I personally can't see any serious reason to have an 'established church' in the UK today......

.....and I have known several people in the C of E (inc clergy) who would prefer the church to be 'disestablished'.

I'd like to see how many people support the Royal Family as their spirtual leaders....

- Well like I said your starting premise of what the word means is wrong so this is really confusing that with republicanism, which I'd also be supportive of.

If you support them, do you see a conpiracy against them? If so, why does it exist?

- No I don't see any actual conspiracy just more and more people realising how illogical and threadbare the arguements for maintaining them and the British Monarchy are.

<<   2 >>

join