It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

has ATS accepted something we have been trying to deny: politricks???

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Why Unpopularity Is Unpopular


Originally posted by weirdo
Frankly running a council is just a gimick a way of increase popularity and hits.

Is popularity a bad thing?

Should the staff work to make ATS less popular?

I don't see your point.


Yes popularity can be a bad thing.This site has some fasinating threads and posts but the more popular it becomes there is a danger that the quality of material will diminish.Insread of staying a small community of like minded individuals we become a large major community with crime,corruption,politics.I would prefer us to stay a small town rather than a major city Probable the easiest way of describing my thoughts.ATS staff would benifit this site by day to day running rather than trying to change and fix/improve systems that work.Improvements will work up to a point it is knowing where that point is and stopping before you inadvertantly make something worse.If it aint broke leave it




posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Zoning Ordnance


Originally posted by weirdo
I would prefer us to stay a small town rather than a major city

Do you truly think ATS should not be allowed to grow?

It's a touching sentiment, to be sure, but how would ATS actually do that?

Refuse to accept new members? Require new members to fit a certain profile?

If we don't exclude enough potential members, ATS will grow whether we like it or not.

Which new members should we exclude to do that? All of them?

Who should decide? Simon? Skeptic? Me? You?

Should ATS have frozen membership before I joined? Before you joined? When was ATS the “perfect” size?

If we decide to freeze membership, what new ideas and information will we be shutting out as ATS devolves into an insular village of exclusionary Internet provincials?

If you have a better idea, this is a discussion forum, so by all means, let's hear it!

Repairman's Crack


Originally posted by weirdo
If it aint broke leave it

The question of what's broken or not will get you a different answer from just about every member.

We as members tell the staff what we don't like far more often than what we do like.

The owner and staff of ATS have always made it crystal clear that they want us to be happy with ATS.

They have gone to great lengths to do so, and are now taking a big chance by offering our wonderfully bizarre and eclectic member community a chance to have a more direct role in deciding the future of ATS than ever before.

They are doing this for us, and at our request.

Why is that wrong?



posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The humanity! Oh the Humanity!

You really shouldn't worry about external influence on the integrity of the board and the material on it, but instead, internal integrity. Fact is, theres only so much to talk about , and eventually, the integrity of posts are internally dropping. If anything , New members with different views and different tastes may actually help build more integrity of posts, and give us new, refreshing ideas that will expand upon ATS. Lets face it, how many times can we honestly talk about Big Foot, MiB's, and UFOs untill it starts getting redundant?

When the message board section of Abovetopsecret came about in '99-00 there were only seven different sections: General Dicussion, Aliens, Area 51, Black Budget Aircrafts, New World Order, UFOs, And the Unexplained (this is excluding off topic stuff like webmasters statements and such)
You can't tell me that as Abovetopsecret has grown, its lowered its integrity or its standards. If Anything, its only gotten stronger, more intelligent, and with a much broader range of topics and opinions. This isn't ATS selling out, or changing ways, its simply maturing and expanding.



posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
The humanity! Oh the Humanity!

You really shouldn't worry about external influence on the integrity of the board and the material on it, but instead, internal integrity. Fact is, theres only so much to talk about , and eventually, the integrity of posts are internally dropping. If anything , New members with different views and different tastes may actually help build more integrity of posts, and give us new, refreshing ideas that will expand upon ATS. Lets face it, how many times can we honestly talk about Big Foot, MiB's, and UFOs untill it starts getting redundant?

When the message board section of Abovetopsecret came about in '99-00 there were only seven different sections: General Dicussion, Aliens, Area 51, Black Budget Aircrafts, New World Order, UFOs, And the Unexplained (this is excluding off topic stuff like webmasters statements and such)
You can't tell me that as Abovetopsecret has grown, its lowered its integrity or its standards. If Anything, its only gotten stronger, more intelligent, and with a much broader range of topics and opinions. This isn't ATS selling out, or changing ways, its simply maturing and expanding.


w0w...

thanks...

i didn't know that...

you are correct too...





posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I really don't care how you voice and write your stuff as long as it's not contrived through power ATS insinuations (to provoke a membership response). That would be phony and as a simple member even unacceptable to me.

But of course I must be wrong - yes ?

Dallas



posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't really get the point of these elections either. They seem pointless. These types of trivial popularity contest usually end up dividing a community. It is like we have all been thrown into some weird ATS experiment.

I have been having my doubts about the stability of ATS lately. I started a post in this section yesterday asking a simple question about certain group of forum members – no individual names. I got a couple replies right away and everything seemed fine. Then later that night I got a U2U from a super moderator telling me that he was going to delete my post completely and that I was not allowed to talk about the subject.

The really stupid thing was the forum super mod won’t or cannot talk like an adult. I get these messages: Thou shalt not speak about the damned upon this board. It will causith trouble and angst for the members an invoke flame wars.

When I replied that it would have been nice to read the thread before it was deleted I got: Thou art too late, the mighty hand of trashing hast swung and removed the post. Do not venture there again young hobbit, them be dangerous woods.

WTF? Is the super moderator a 12 year old?



posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Despite All My Rage...


Originally posted by zerotime
I don't really get the point of these elections either. They seem pointless. These types of trivial popularity contest usually end up dividing a community. It is like we have all been thrown into some weird ATS experiment.

That's because it is an experiment, so your senses do not deceive you.


As for dividing ATS, I really don't see people lining up on different sides and slamming each other.

Heck, you'll probably see more partisanship in the Religious Conspiracies forum than I've seen in the councilor campaign.

As for it being a popularity contest, why should people vote for someone who is unpopular? Should we vote for the worst trolls? The most vicious flamers? Partisan zealots?

This isn't high school. Councilors will be chosen based on how many members think they will do a good job, not who they go out with or whether they wear a letter jacket.

Give us some credit, already.


Self-Fulfilling Prophecy


Originally posted by zerotime
I have been having my doubts about the stability of ATS lately. I started a post in this section yesterday asking a simple question about certain group of forum members – no individual names. I got a couple replies right away and everything seemed fine. Then later that night I got a U2U from a super moderator telling me that he was going to delete my post completely and that I was not allowed to talk about the subject.

Wouldn't it be great if you could bring a grievance like that to someone who wasn't a mod?

Perhaps a group of people chosen to represent and help you with these sorts of things?


Age Before Duty


Originally posted by zerotime
WTF? Is the super moderator a 12 year old?

Hey, you never know. From what I've seen, ATS doesn't choose staff members on the basis of age, but on the basis of their conduct on the board.

Though we don't have a Member Council yet (patience!), you can nonetheless submit a complaint using the gripe/help button at the top of the page.

Name names, include a link and your name and the issue will be brought to the mods' attention.



posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
That's because it is an experiment, so your senses do not deceive you.


As for dividing ATS, I really don't see people lining up on different sides and slamming each other.

Heck, you'll probably see more partisanship in the Religious Conspiracies forum than I've seen in the councilor campaign.

As for it being a popularity contest, why should people vote for someone who is unpopular? Should we vote for the worst trolls? The most vicious flamers? Partisan zealots?

This isn't high school. Councilors will be chosen based on how many members think they will do a good job, not who they go out with or whether they wear a letter jacket.

Give us some credit, already.



kissing the baby

It has always been my experience that when people get involved with politics on any level that they stop saying what they really feel and start telling people what they think they want to hear. And the people who vote always expect a certain amount of favoritism from those who get elected. Both of which I would consider very bad for ATS if they were to happen because of these elections. I just do not believe that ATS is the place to hold elections. I hope the process works out and improves ATS but I personally can't see taking any part in it. I see this new voting process as ATS's moment of jumping the shark.

As for this place not being like high school, well, I really don't know about that.



posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Shark In The Water


Originally posted by zerotime
It has always been my experience that when people get involved with politics on any level that they stop saying what they really feel and start telling people what they think they want to hear. [...] I see this new voting process as ATS's moment of jumping the shark.

If you don't mind wading through my thick, polysyllabic prose and enjoy a good laugh, you may want to hearken to the cautionary tale of how I went from disgruntled cynic to baby-kissing snake oil salesman.

It all started here, one fine day in May...

Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

Be sure to read the followup posts on that page.

Then, once you stop laughing, if you like dramatic soliloquies, check out my version of Hamlet:

Majic Asks: How The Bloody Hell Did I Get Nominated?

A rousing performance, don't you think?

And for the punchline:

Vote Majic For ATS DISC Councilor

And that's how I went from a starry-eyed idealist to a jaded political whore, in three easy steps.

I think of the “Fall Of Majic” thread trilogy as a case study in the process of political corruption.

And great infotainment -- fun for the whole family!

Aiming Too High


Originally posted by zerotime
As for this place not being like high school, well, I really don't know about that.

You're right.

Junior high it is.



posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I have been having my doubts about the stability of ATS lately. I started a post in this section yesterday asking a simple question about certain group of forum members – no individual names. I got a couple replies right away and everything seemed fine. Then later that night I got a U2U from a super moderator telling me that he was going to delete my post completely and that I was not allowed to talk about the subject.

The really stupid thing was the forum super mod won’t or cannot talk like an adult. I get these messages: Thou shalt not speak about the damned upon this board. It will causith trouble and angst for the members an invoke flame wars.

When I replied that it would have been nice to read the thread before it was deleted I got: Thou art too late, the mighty hand of trashing hast swung and removed the post. Do not venture there again young hobbit, them be dangerous woods.

WTF? Is the super moderator a 12 year old?


You need to stop and think that maybe this issue has come up a thousand times before and the moderators get tired of explaining it over and over. Discussing banned members and why they were banned just mires the board down in useless drama and bickering; drama which you nevertheless have been freely allowed to attempt to create in this thread.

The moderator gave you the courtesy of explaining the reasons to you in a U2U, and still you complain in the public arena, try to create antagonism, and insult people by calling their maturity into question. If your concerns are that you may inadvertently do something to get you banned, then read the T&C again and you should be more than clear on where you stand. Rest assured that the moderators here do not arbitrarily ban people, and most members are given multiple chances before finally being banned, assuming it comes to that.

Seriously, you have it pretty good here. For comparison, here's a quote from the T&C of another well-known conspiracy site:


"Please respect the moderators decisions - Any thread or post which is designed to criticise or question the decision of a moderator will be DELETED ON SIGHT. If you have a query relating to a moderator, please send an e-mail or instant message to the moderator in question or to an administrator."


If we were on THAT site, your post that I quoted above would simply not exist now. You have a voice. How you exercise it is up to you.

Happy posting.


[edit on 2005/6/3 by wecomeinpeace]



posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I didn't have time to read anything beyond the first post, everything else seemed to bore me.

Still, I don't think anyone realized why the folks who maintain this website/community are doing this: To generate more hits, more attention, and more traffic. Plain and simple.

I've been here for quite some time now, and it never changes. The names change, but the plotlines never do.

I just wish one thing: That they'd stop sending me 5 U2U's everyday about this silly contest. Good god, I keep thinking that I'm actually going to get a message from a hot chick like Reptillian_Queen or something and it turns out to be junk.

delete-delete-delete-delete

Almost as bad as my hotmail account.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
[edit on 10-6-2005 by weirdo]



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Shark In The Water


Originally posted by zerotime
It has always been my experience that when people get involved with politics on any level that they stop saying what they really feel and start telling people what they think they want to hear. [...] I see this new voting process as ATS's moment of jumping the shark.

If you don't mind wading through my thick, polysyllabic prose and enjoy a good laugh, you may want to hearken to the cautionary tale of how I went from disgruntled cynic to baby-kissing snake oil salesman.

It all started here, one fine day in May...

Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

Be sure to read the followup posts on that page.

Then, once you stop laughing, if you like dramatic soliloquies, check out my version of Hamlet:

Majic Asks: How The Bloody Hell Did I Get Nominated?

A rousing performance, don't you think?

And for the punchline:

Vote Majic For ATS DISC Councilor

And that's how I went from a starry-eyed idealist to a jaded political whore, in three easy steps.

I think of the “Fall Of Majic” thread trilogy as a case study in the process of political corruption.

And great infotainment -- fun for the whole family!

Aiming Too High


Originally posted by zerotime
As for this place not being like high school, well, I really don't know about that.

You're right.

Junior high it is.



Its this kind of drivel that will damage ATS.Sorry Majic but your self proclaimed bull brown stuff is really annoying.I don`t care about you l`m interested in the topics on ATS not your obvious need to reach some kinda power source here on ATS.i cannot believe that l am even bothering to write on this thread as it is nothing to do with ATS original purpose and the reasons l`m here.
ATS will grow slowly with new mwmbers naturally,but the progress that even Simon/Skeptic have been at first supprised at have now lead them to gain the momentum at the best possible time to secure more than the natural new member progress.The games now council members which will l doubt attract new mwmbers but will increase excisting members time on here as your profile indicates and other Brown Nosers.Ats l believe would be better left to grow naturally.Simple Really if you think about that.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kai-Raega
I didn't have time to read anything beyond the first post, everything else seemed to bore me.

Still, I don't think anyone realized why the folks who maintain this website/community are doing this: To generate more hits, more attention, and more traffic. Plain and simple.

I've been here for quite some time now, and it never changes. The names change, but the plotlines never do.

I just wish one thing: That they'd stop sending me 5 U2U's everyday about this silly contest. Good god, I keep thinking that I'm actually going to get a message from a hot chick like Reptillian_Queen or something and it turns out to be junk.

delete-delete-delete-delete

Almost as bad as my hotmail account.


Sums ATS up simply.The one thing about ATS is the people change but the subjects arguements threads don`t.There are only so many topics that can be written about.Increasing the membership to quickly will only cause boredom and repeat arguments/disscussions.NWO/UFO,Spirits etc etc etc etc are subjects that have been around for decades but have never really been changed.Hence the move into political debates and BTS.In a relatively short time ideas will become harder to find and the death will become terminal.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Damage Assessment


Originally posted by weirdo
Its this kind of drivel that will damage ATS.

Is it, or is a proclivity to attack other members what is already damaging ATS?

Opinions will vary, of course. You have yours, I have mine, and that is just as it should be.

If expressing concern and respect for my fellow members and the well-being of ATS is "brown nosing", then expect lots more where that came from.

Where before it was just my developing philosophy as a member, now it's my job.




P.S. You don't need to quote entire posts on ATS.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Damage Assessment


Originally posted by weirdo
Its this kind of drivel that will damage ATS.

Is it, or is a proclivity to attack other members what is already damaging ATS?

Opinions will vary, of course. You have yours, I have mine, and that is just as it should be.

If expressing concern and respect for my fellow members and the well-being of ATS is "brown nosing", then expect lots more where that came from.

Where before it was just my developing philosophy as a member, now it's my job.




P.S. You don't need to quote entire posts on ATS.



Are the power already showing through after all the falsness.Majic ban me today l could give a monkeys.And if having somebody expressing themselves such as you have started to l`d go on my own.You might think that is a good thing well if you are that weakminded fine.Ofcourse we both have opposing views thats health for debate calling you a brown noser or others is just a way of explaining my opinion not attacking you.It will be a sad day when people have power and use there power to punish people for minor comments.Is it power to the people for the good or power to control the people HUMMM Deny Ignorance or ATS All Member Order.

Ps if l quote entire posts it`s because i think the entire post is relevent.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Who's The Boss?


Originally posted by weirdo
Are the power already showing through after all the falsness.Majic ban me today l could give a monkeys.

My job is to represent my fellow members and serve their interests. That includes you -- whether you like it or not.


As for banning you, that's not something I have the power to do, nor want the power to do, and if I did have it, I wouldn't ban you for anything other than a gross violation of the T&C, which I don't see here.

As it is, ATS already has moderators for that, and I am quite satisfied with their performance.

Uncommon Courtesy


Originally posted by weirdo
Ps if l quote entire posts it`s because i think the entire post is relevent.

The owner of ATS has politely asked you to trim your quotes.

Is that too much for him to ask?



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
l could give a monkeys.


It's the only one I have, and the market on eBay is murder since that whole monkey butt aphrodisiac thing got blown out of proportion.

Cheekless monkeys, not just for cushiony seats anymore...



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Who's The Boss?


Originally posted by weirdo
Are the power already showing through after all the falsness.Majic ban me today l could give a monkeys.

My job is to represent my fellow members and serve their interests. That includes you -- whether you like it or not.


As for banning you, that's not something I have the power to do, nor want the power to do, and if I did have it, I wouldn't ban you for anything other than a gross violation of the T&C, which I don't see here.

As it is, ATS already has moderators for that, and I am quite satisfied with their performance.

Uncommon Courtesy


Originally posted by weirdo
Ps if l quote entire posts it`s because i think the entire post is relevent.

The owner of ATS has politely asked you to trim your quotes.

Is that too much for him to ask?


Thats cool Majic.

P.S.The owner hasn`t asked me to trim my quotes.When he does l will take not.As you have stated above you are not a mod therefore you are not in a position to tell me about the Terms And Conditions of this site so please (bear in mind l cannot force you
) refrain from instructing me.

thanxs

W.



posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   


As you have stated above you are not a mod therefore you are not in a position to tell me about the Terms And Conditions of this site so please (bear in mind l cannot force you ) refrain from instructing me.


Sorry to piss on your cornflakes, but Majic does have the ability to warn members, so do i, and we have to maintain peace in the community aswell. You could say we are low-level mods, so in respect, he does have the right to tell you about TOS.

Sorry



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join