It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad Lockdown Ordered.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
May 27, 2005

Tens of thousands of Iraqi security personnel are to form a tight cordon around Baghdad involving hundreds of checkpoints in a bid to stem a spate of deadly car bombings, Defence Minister Saadun al-Dulaimi said today.

"We're going to set up a security cordon around Baghdad ... and it will be impossible for terrorists to cross," he said, adding that the plan would come into operation next week before being extended to the provinces.
Mr Dulaimi made the announcement at a joint press conference with Interior Minister Bayan Baqer Solagh and near the end of a bloody month in which more than 600 Iraqis have been killed in insurgent attacks.
"The objective is to pass from a defensive position to an offensive one and to put the capacities of defence and interior ministry forces to the best use," Mr Solagh said.

news.com.au
BBC

I hope that this doesn't turn into a fight to the death within the capitol of Iraq. Street to street combat would be a major 'complication'.

Sanc'.
edit:grammar

[edit on 26-5-2005 by sanctum]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sounds like desperation to me.

The control in that country should have be done from the beginning not now that is a mess.

I always said it was bad planning and bad judgment, US wanted to look like liberators but the truth is that the country needed tied control from the beginning.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The government said Thursday a security cordon of 40,000 Iraqi soldiers and police will ring Baghdad starting next week in what it dubbed Operation Lightning, aimed at halting a spree of insurgent violence that has killed more than 620 people this month.

Link

Operation Lightning is starting next week?

Sanc'.

new topics

join