It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Protest Erupts in Violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I have lived in Texas for several years and I have known many illegal immigrant workers. I have also known legal immigrant workers that work for minimum wage.

What are we talking about here, Majic? What salary range defines slavery? Modern day corporate work and wages make slaves out of all workers alike - be they laborers or vegetative computer workers, whose eyesight and vitality is depleted each hour upon hour of staring at databases.

Some would call illegal immigrant employers slave drivers and others would describe them as life-givers. Without a market for illegal employment, illegal immigration would not cease, immigrants would simply be employed with criminal endeavors only.

If you are to complain about corporate slave drivers, your complaints must echo beyond the halls of Mexican immigrants and well into the cafeterias of all laborers, if your intention is for justice to prevail.

I realize that I have a contradictory point - that the system is both beneficial and harmful. Corporate America both provides and depletes.

Such is life.

Zip

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Why It's Illegal In The First Place

Employers of illegal aliens do so illegally.

Aside from violating minimum wage and benefit laws, illegal employers typically violate other laws, such as health and occupational safety laws, and compete unfairly against legal employers and businesses.

Illegals are victimized by predators at every step, from the coyotes who smuggle them to the gougers who overcharge them to live in deplorable conditions to the gangsters who terrorize and extort money from them to an entire industry built around exploiting illegals in every facet of life, taking advantage of their fear of seeking help from law enforcement.

Thousands of people die each year while trying to enter the U.S. illegally, and tens of thousands more die from the criminal cultures they are forced to live in -- and get sucked into. Spurious law enforcement splits families, and illegals are treated like dirt by almost everyone they are forced to deal with.

The effect is pernicious and costly to our economy in a wide variety of ways, most of them not obvious at first glance.

Without devolving into a full-blown diatribe on the issue, which defies characterization in a single thread, I have studied the matter in depth and deplore what it amounts to.

I have absolutely zero problem with employing immigrants for whatever wages they are willing to work for, provided it is done legally.

The reason it is done illegally has everything to do with screwing immigrants and taxpayers alike.

It is a very serious problem in itself, the fallout from it is very real, is and will be immensely costly, and everyone involved will eventually come to regret it.

Mark my words well.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hehe, no doubt. Nice post. Very true, but not all employers are alike. There is such a thing as OSHA-abiding employers that provide pay and benefits to illegal workers competitive with legal workers. Didn't a nuclear power plant get busted a couple days ago for employing illegal immigrants? Surely THEY are OSHA and ISO compliant, no?

You are correct, though, and I hope I didn't seem like I was pulling the ol' "gloss-over" on the subject. It can be serious.

Zip

<< 1   >>

join