It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Is Hard-wired Into The Human Brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Dear all,

Despite many posters on here showing how prejudice shows itself in day to day life, none of you have shown that the human brain is pre-disposed to prejudice.

In fact I would dare to say you have shown the opposite. You show that life experience leads us to size up given situations from the clues given to us.

This "sizing up" of a situation only becomes prejudicial if one retains said initial beliefs once contrary information has been provided.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A book that I haven't read but have heard alot about (on my summer reading list,) is the Lucifer Principle by Howard Bloom
www.amazon.com...=1117231450/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9557566-1203116?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It discusses how Prejudice exists even on the microbial level. While I would love to think that Humanity is capable of moving beyond it, Bloom makes the argument that the level of prejudice that exists today is a startling accomplishment for humanity, given its past; and also when compared to ancient microbial life. I'd recommend it if you're interested.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
If it wasnt hard wired into our brains then how did we get here in the first place, religion etc could have been the product of this and not the other way around.

All religion is the product of outside influence. Other non-human beings created relgion for humans. Humans also created religion after seeing, meeting, and being ruled over..... by non-human beings. Early religion is the result of outside influence. Modern religion is the result of nefarious rulers, and individuales using it as one of many forms of control for their purposes.

Also the argument that 5 year olds get along with each other therefore they would when fully grown without outside inflence is nonsense. 5 year olds brains arent developed enough to have a sense of who is beneficial and who is not to survival, they also will not perceive threats etc the same.

You're missing it. The guy who made this thread, and the bogus scientific "study" he linked to, claim humans start out with prejudice. The fact that 1-5 yr olds don't have prejudice ends this discussion.

If you want to talk about where prejudice comes from, how it first came about, who started it, that's a whole new thread. (IMHO based on the still existing physical evidence, ((Baalbek Stones, too many examples in all religions of other beings in spaceships, including in the Bible)) it was from non-human beings.) It's not hardwired in humans, or else 1-5 year olds would not get along with each other.

These same people once developed would have a very different outlook and prejudice would definately occur for survival reasons, how else would they pick the best breeding partner if everybody was the same.

If you put a group of 5 year olds on an island, and they never knew who put them there, or how they got there, or met their parents, they would natrually evolve based on the enviorment. And on luck. For example, which ever kid naturally grew taller and was able to reach food on trees would have higher status since he could get food easier. He might even become the leader. Tall people would have high status.

The sex drive is natural after puberty. There'd be no reguard to skin color, height, if the eyes are slanty, hair color, when it came to reproduction. None of the 1-5 year olds when they got older, would learn that "black", or Asian, women are suppose to be ugly. (Funny thing about this "prejudice" is all the Founding fathers and male southerners who had land, also had harems of black females they regularly had sex with all the time LOL!).

Females might pick taller males since they have an easier time reaching the food in the trees. Or say a black-haired male was natrually the best swimmer, and so catch the most fish..... the females might start picking any male with black hair.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

99% of the public in modern times, don't realize that 99% of all current prejudices are and were invented on purpose. To act as a smokescreen keeping the public thinking about trivial matters. Instead of what really matters.. Best example is the KKK. They originally had nothing to do with hating Black Americans, Asians, Indians, on and on. They were a new name for an old secret society that was trying to scam the entire American country. (Make an early form of a Centrial Bank that's privatly owned aka the Federal Reserve).

The whole "racisim" prejudice, schtick was a smokescreen. And a very effective one. The majority of white Americans are busy thinking about blacks, Asians, Indians, Jews, and other prejudicies..... instead of thinking about how they're getting taken advantage of by the biggest scam ever done to Americans. They are the furthest away from believing that the Elite could care less about 99% of "white" Americans. Even Black Americans, Indians, Jews, Asians, fall for the smokescreen. Thinking the "system" is run by the "whiteman". Instead of knowing and thinking about how its the Elite. Who could care less about skin color. They care only about power.

The racism prejudices, religious prejudices, are invented, created, and pushed, on purpose now. Go into many major bookstores, to the joke section. There's tons of joke books which put into public circulation NEW jokes about every single prejudice. Which keeps current prejudices alive.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by OpenSecret2012
[edit on 26-5-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

OpenSecret, hey, when you calm down from being "hyper! hyper! hyper!", why don't you let us know how you really feel about this article?

I see you like my little mini-sig under my pic.

And I did say how I felt about it LOL! Read what I posted, and not just my mini-sig under my pic of my brain spinning.

Originally posted by centurion1211
You know, something beyond your apparent feeling that anything that doesn't agree with your beliefs is automatically wrong and needs to be crushed at the earliest opportunity. Jeez, did you even stop to breathe when you were typing your post?

[edit on 5/26/2005 by centurion1211]

You're almost right. With me it's more like "something that has been 100% proven wrong is automatically wrong whenever someone brings it up again, and again, and again, and again.". That's how I feel.

Walk into any grade school, any kindergarden class, and watch how all the 1 yr old kids, 2yr olds, 3yr olds, 4yr olds, and even 5yr olds, act to each other. Usually by age 12 ALL kids learn from their enviorment, media, newspapers, magazines, TV, parents, and other adults, to be prejudiced. (Blondes are more desireable, skinny is best, being a slacker is best, being dumb is best, not showing how smart you are is best, wearing cloths based on the latest fad is best, on and on.)

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I really think that people are overreacting really this article doesnt say something we dont already know. Its not saying that racism is justified it is however saying that it is human nature to put people into groups and judge them by their percieved group. Being prejuidiced does not neccessarily mean hating a minority group. It is possible to be unprejuidiced from a racial perspective the study does not preclude this it merely says that we have a tendency to prejudge people by their percieved group.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
no no u guys have it all wrong

our brains are hardwired with the capabilities to be prejudiced

we learn what to be prejudiced against
for example
there have been people like tarzan, literally raised with apes and thought they were apes, not scared of apes

but if you saw an ape right now, you'd be terrified even though it probably wouldn't hurt you

that's a learned prejudice. we all have the ability to be prejudiced but we have the same amount of ability not to be prejudiced. its just another capability, like we can learn to talk or not to learn to talk. if you stop talking for a long enough time, you'll forget the language. if you stop prejudicing for a long enough time, you'll forget the prejudice.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Open, you missed my point. 5 year olds have many things hardwired into their brains that they are not even aware of until they are more fully developed, why do u think they ask parents those awkward questions? Its because they have the instinct but not the knowledge, are u going to say that reproduction is a learned behaviour?
There will always be prejudice and social imbalances, it may not be as bad as now but it will always be there.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Originally posted by CyberKat
Only ignorance causes fear, and only fear causes prejudice.

Whether you realize it or not we are all guilty of this. It is natural to prefer one thing over another.

Hypothetical question: let's say one day you meet a white supremacist, and out of ignorance and fear of his beliefs you hate himand are prejudiced. It doesnt neccesarily have to be someone that is physically different(ie skin color) it can be beliefs, basically anything that seperates you from anyone else. Since everyone IS different would it not make sense that to some degree prejudices are hard wired in the human brain?

I see what you are saying, however I would not agree that the hypothetical situation you just described would have come from anything "hard-wired" in the brain. It would have come from feelings I had developed after having met the individual, and having a different belief system. In your situation, I would have to agree, that I do not agree with the beliefs of white supremisists, as they mean harm to others.

However, if in a different hypothetical situation, I had met a Jewish person, who's religious beliefs I do not share, however, if I felt that their Jewish beliefs were of no threat to anyone else, I would not feel any anomosity toward that person. A prejudice is a "pre-conceived" notion about another, without having to have gotten to know them first. And that, is what I do not believe can possibly be "hard-wired" in anyone's brain.

Yes, I can honestly say that I like some people more than others, just as there are some people who I absolutely despise, etc..but that is always based on the individual, and how they have treated me, and how I have observed them treating others.

Does that make any more sense? I hope so......I tried.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Dear all,

I think that those who say "prejudice is hard wired into the human brain" are trying to sweep the problem of prejudice under the carpet.

It is like those homophobes who say "homosexuality is un-natural" this makes it easier for them to ignore it rather than deal with a potential review of their opinions.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I haven't read all the responses, need to get ready for work, but no, prejudice is produced from fear and ignorance....and prejudice is learned/taught Children are not born that way. Children will play and be best of friends when young ....until someone ruins them.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
LadyV,

I thank you for making so succintly the point I have been trying to get across in this thread.

Cheers

BHR

<< 1   >>

join