It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mexican Meteor Theory Hits Rocky Road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
For many years now, scientists have believed that a meteor strike in the Yucatán peninsula of Mexico was responsible for the mass extinction of dinosaurs. Recent paleontological research at the site of the crater created by the meteor strike, however, indicate a 300,000 year gap between the time of the meteor's impact and the appearance of mass extinction by-products.

www.nature.com
The widely held theory that a particular meteorite strike on Mexico wiped out the dinosaurs is under sharp attack, again.

The asteroid that created the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatán peninsula in Mexico arrived too early to have caused the Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction, according to evidence given on 23 May at an American Geophysical Union conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.

A team led by palaeontologist Gerta Keller of Princeton University, New Jersey, reported that a sediment core drilled in east Texas emphatically confirms a study that the group released two years ago. Sediments of glass sprayed out by the Chicxulub impact are separated from fossils killed during the mass extinction by a 300,000-year gap, they argue.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This fascinating work was produced by paleontologist Gerta Keller of Princeton University, New Jersey. Her groundbreaking research [pun intended] is considered controversial among geophysicists, but is beginning to convince opponents.

In any case, the question remains: What killed the dinosaurs? If the Chicxulub meteor didn't do it, something else did.

The first link below is for Prof. Keller's home page and the second is a link to the "Chicxulub Debate" home.

Related News Links:
geoweb.princeton.edu
geoweb.princeton.edu

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It will sound unbelieveable to you but 65 million yrs ago it wasn't a meteor crash but a special fusion bomb fired by an alien species against another alien species.
Read the lacerta files and then you will know the truth.
www.sabon.org...

Can you tell me something about the natural history and evolution of your species? How old is your species? Have you evolved from primitive reptiles as mankind has evolved from apes?

Answer: Oh, this is a very long and complex story and it sounds certainly unbelievable to you, but it's the truth. I will try to explain it in short. Around 65 million years ago, many of our unadvanced ancestors from the dinosaur race died in a great global cataclysm. The reason for this destruction was not a natural disaster—an asteroid impact as your scientists believe falsely—but a war between two enemy alien groups that took mainly place in the orbit and high atmosphere of your planet. According to our limited knowledge about the early days this global war was the first alien war on planet earth . The opponents in this 65 million year old war were two advanced alien species, . One race was humanoid like your species (but much older) and was from this universe, from a solar system in the star constellation you call "Procyon" today in your maps. The other species—abouth which we know not so much—was a reptilian species . The advanced reptilian species came not from this universe

The first species (the humanoids) had reached Earth around 150 years before the reptilians and they built some colonies on the former continents. There was a large colony on the continent you call "Antarctica" today and another one in the continent you call "Asia" today. These people lived together with animal-like saurians on the planet without problems. When the advanced reptilian species arrived in this system, the humanoid colonists from "Procyon" tried to communicate peacefully, but they were not sucessful and a global war started within months. You must understand that both species were interested in this young planet not for its biology and undeveloped species, but for only one reason: raw material. Both species wanted to have the copper of Planet Earth and for this reason, they fought a not very long war in space and orbit. The humanoid species seemed to be sucessful during the first time, but in a last battle the reptilians decided to use a mighty experimental weapon—a special kind of fusion bomb which should destroy the life forms on the planet but should not harm the valuable raw materials and the copper. The bomb was fired from space and detonated at a point of your planet you call "Middle America" today. As it detonated in the ocean, it produced an unpredictable fusion with hydrogen and the effect was much stronger then the reptilians had expected. A deadly radiaton, an over-production of fusion-oxygen, a fall-out of different elements and a "nuclear winter" for nearly 200 years were the results. Most of the humanoids were killed and the reptilians lost their interest on the planet after some years for (even for us) unknown reasons—maybe because of the radiation. Planet Earth was on its own again and the animals on the surface died. By the way, one result of the fusionbomb was the fall-out of different elements and materials created in the burning process and one of that materials was Iridium. Your human scientists today see the Iridium concentration in the ground as an evidence for an asteroid impact that killed the dinosaurs. That is not true, but how should you know that?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

It will sound unbelieveable to you but 65 million yrs ago it wasn't a meteor crash but a special fusion bomb fired by an alien species against another alien species

You're right. Completely un-beleivable.

Moving on.

This is interstring research, and I'll have to read the paper, but right off the bat, I have to question, whats the significance of a gap in this location?? How much area does this gap cover?

Lots of people have been noticing for a while now that dinosaur diversity was dropping torwards the end of the cretaceous, and many have hypothesized that the yucatan impact was a (possibly uncessary) final straw that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Tho I have to marvel at what would wipe out dinosaurs and ocean going reptiles and the flying reptiles, but not crocs and turtles and lizards. Something like a meteor impact seems global and destructive enough to just wipe out almost everything, and thus explain the unusual survivors.

Also, any issue dealing with what killed the dinosaurs has an automatic 'big problem' in how birds managed to survive, in large numbers (lots of clades of birds seemed to have evovled in the cretaceous and survive, so its not just a small population that happened to make it), and yet extremely bird like 'dino-birds' were completely annihilated.

Nevertheless, any dino-news is good news!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Not neccesarily there have been spratic sightings of pterasaur like birds in remote areas. However the bigger question is what destroyed the dinosaurs? If it was not a meteor than what was it? a disease?.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This is interstring research, and I'll have to read the paper, but right off the bat, I have to question, whats the significance of a gap in this location?? How much area does this gap cover?

Good point. According to the Nature article:

From a 2-metre section of the best core, the Keller team charted what they say shows the 300,000-year gap. First, there is a 2 centimetre-thick layer of altered glass that is the ejected material from the Chicxulub impact. About 50 centimetres above that lie sediments beds from the tsunami set off by the asteroid. Finally, a full 1.2 metres above these beds, there is the detritus of the mass extinction, represented by fossils of tiny plants and animals that died.

Some of the disputes surrounding this work arise from the location of the core samples, depth, etc. I'm no geologist, but the 1.2 m gap seems pretty significant to me, though how they get the 300k years from that is a bit of a mystery to me.

This is probably a good example of why I went into physics & chemistry - the science is straightforward and quantitative. I appreciate paleontological work, but the fuzziness of the conclusions always leaves me a bit uneasy.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is a fascinating subject.

I'm not expert on the core-dating sciences so I rely on the scientific explanation of the layer distribution and depths.

The meteor theory is one that is relatively new, having I believe been promulgated only within the past decade or two.

Though this 300,000 year gap between impact and extinction seems long, I think it needs to be viewed in terms of the total time the species had existed. Had not the affected dinosaurs been around for in excess of 200 MILLION years at the time of the impact?

Perhaps the environmental changes wrought by the impact took time to fully dispatch the species. After all 300,000 is just over one tenth of one percent of the total time they'd been in existence.... sort of like a middle aged guy hit by a car who takes two weeks to die.

new topics

top topics

join