It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strattera, Is it any good??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hello,

I am asking for helping finding anything on the drug Strattera. My son is suppost to go on it this September and I want to see if its the right thing to do..

From our (refering to ATS community) research on Alderall, and Ritalin, they are not the best idea to user these drugs even on your enemies. So I am asking ATS for help on this Strattera drug to see if its a good thing or bad thing.

I myself believe that everyone can overcome any problems they have without drugs. Most problems happen natrally, so they should be able to be taken care of natrally. As for my g/f she thinks drugs are the next best thing to sliced bread, so we have set ground for My kid to go on this. To ask ATS what they thought about this paticular drug and go from there.

Anyway thanks for helping out.

[edit on 5/25/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
As a man who had child ADHD and has adult ADHD, Strattera was a Godsend. I have since stopped taking it, but it was definitley worthwhile. It didn't "zonk" me or "zombify" me. It left me with no bad feeling whatsoever.

Now, as to your beliefs, they are quite correct. Almost anything can be treated without the use of drugs. (Even though ADD is a made up disorder.) ADHD is one of those disorders that can be treated with therapy. In fact, that is why I had a four year break between using any drugs for it. (And the fact that I hated the meds out there for it...) I am also not on it now. You can train yourself. You can teach yourself habits to help the disorder and ween yourself off of the drugs.

But early on, perhaps drugs are the best solution. Therapy takes time. Drugs are a quick solution. They will give you those desired results. Overall, I would recommend using both. I did the training myself. It took a lot of reading. I don't really know how to explain it. It was almost testing myself. I still have some outward signs of it, mostly restlessness and hands always doing something. But I can control my brain mostly without it bouncing from tangent to tangent.

But I am no psychologist/doctor...this is mostly just IMO stuff...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
OXmanK,

Thanks for your comment. I also agree with you that ADD.. and I think ADHD is made up also.. Anyone else with something to share.

My kid is 6 yrs old, he is said to have ADHD.... I am said to have a form of ADD/ADHD but was never tested by anyone, I seemed to have gone thru life if true with these things and did ok.. that is why I dont think these drugs are any good, I did it natrally so I think drugs are useless.

Anyway anyone else with a comment about this drug.. side efects and bannings by other countries or whatever???

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I kinda have to disagree with you on thinking ADHD being fake. If it were not for the fact that speed slows down people with ADHD, then you could make a great case for it. But the fact remains. It is a true chemical imbalance. Just some chemicals are going across the synapse too much or too little. (It's been a while since I had the derned psych class for it.)

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It made me dizzy and feel like I wasn't in my body right...
I was off it within a few weeks
but I guess it depends on how different people's bodies react to things. I personally will never have ADD drug in my system ever again they aren't worth it.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
@Equineartist7

Was there any other bad effex to you when you were on these drugs???

@OXmanK

I think its overated of what people are making it out to be.. plus having ADHD makes you learn alot more than what a normal person can learn.. cause you are learning diffrent things all the time cause your mind cant shut down.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I myself believe that everyone can overcome any problems they have without drugs. Most problems happen natrally, so they should be able to be taken care of natrally. As for my g/f she thinks drugs are the next best thing to sliced bread, so we have set ground for My kid to go on this.

ADHD isn't just a problem it's a condition. Support your child, and be careful with that oppinion around him. It can make one feel inadequate and useless in a hurry. I would encourage you to make your own decisions though. It's your child and your choice to medicate or not. Don't be pressured by your friend - make this decision because you feel it's the right one. Find a qualified doctor - NOT your pediatrician. A trained psychiatrist or neurologist can properly and accurately diagnose the condition. Many kids on medications and labled as ADHD are not, so be careful and be informed.

If your son has ADHD, medication can litterally be a lifesaver, a family saver and a marraige saver. The changes are profound with the right treatment. School and focusing are usually the least of the changes that happen. Watch how socialization improves, personal relationships, impulse control, anger management.... Self-esteem will be rescued. ADHD is so much more than not doing well in school.

In another thread at another time I posted my oppinion on what ADHD really is - a blessing and a gift when controlled. There are some awesome benefits, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

As for Straterra - I didn't do well at all on this medication, and took it for about 2 weeks before I got tired of being asked "What's wrong?" over and over. It made me blank and empty and I could easily look at a spot in the carpet for 90 mins and be content. I felt drugged and mechanical. The right drug won't do that, and don't settle for a blank version of your child. With the right medication, you will see who they can really become. For me it's Dexedrine, for some its Adderal, Ritalin, Welbutrin, etc. Just don't settle for anything less than a miracle.

Feel free to U2U me with other questions if you have them. I probably won't view this thread again as I get too worked up and frustrated at the ADHD haters out there. Don't mean any offense, just don't need to fight the fight over and over again.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
RedBalloon,

Seems like you do want to help people, I respect that. That is a good quality to have. My ex-wife was a Pharmacist for a time, she ended up working in a Chiropractic office. Not sure if she stayed with that or not?
I can be a bit not nice when it comes to drugging people, but you must understand why. My beef isn't with good hearted people who are trying their best to help people, and you do seem like you want to help other people. There is an appropriate time for drugs and there are times when it isn't appropriate. I just see too many people saddled with needless drugs, sometimes for a lifetime, when there was likely a better solution. One of the few exceptions I make for drugs for me is numbing for an operation, and drinking some alcohol now and then, I otherwise use very, very little in the way of medications. I haven't even had a pain reliever, like Tylenol, in years, not an exaggeration. I know what proper nutrition can do for you. My bodily health backs it up. I've dropped some unneeded weight and I am more apt to do something physical. I just feel better. Some days would border on amazing (to someone who isn't used to feeling this way).

Sometimes kids just need to feel important or wanted, as the case may be. Kids eventually grow up, and in the process, sometimes they are loud and obnoxious, but it isn't necessarily a big problem. Maybe they just need something to work toward in life. A pill popping society isn't what we want, and I think most people allready feel this way in their hearts, no matter what their position in life is.

Troy

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Mmmkay, some science here:
It's known as Atomoxetine hydrochloride and is commonly used for ADHD (obviously.) It's one of those that takes awhile to get a clinical dose in the blood (so expect this.)

Because it works with the metabolism, it may affect how sensitive your son is to other drugs (either in a positive or a negative way.) You AND your son want to stay on top of how he feels and how he reacts and be very proactive in telling the doc when the meds need adjusting or changing.
jpet.aspetjournals.org...

No drug (or food) is without risk to SOME part of the population (remember, there are folks who are allergic to regular foods). The one risk I see that you need to be aware of is that in a few cases there's liver problems:
pn.psychiatryonline.org...

Ask the doctor if bloodwork for liver functions can be done on each of his checkups since you know this is a known problem in some cases (don't come across as Extremely Worried. Just point out that this is on the drug warning label and you would Appreciate it if this was followed up on. And make sure to ask on every visit where they do blood work.)

Here's Lilly's brochure on it (you probably read it, but I'm linking it for anyone else who wants to read it)
panda.cyberquebec.com...(ENG%20CDA).pdf

Since this seems to be timed with his entering school, ask to start a little early in case the meds need to be adjusted or a different strategy needs to be used.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
There is an appropriate time for drugs and there are times when it isn't appropriate. I just see too many people saddled with needless drugs, sometimes for a lifetime, when there was likely a better solution.

I agree that there are appropriate times for drugs and also not appropriate times. However, those suffering from ADHD find tremendous relief in many areas of their life with appropriate medication. It's more than just eating well and exercising, etc. It's a medical disorder. Many are wrongly diagnosed and many can do well without meds, but to those that need it, it not just "pill poping" or taking "needless drugs." It's unbelieveably insulting, humiliating and frustrating to have people tell me I just need to have purpose (I have it), eat well (I do), exercise (gym weights, multi-mile walks and hiking, yoga), etc. This isn't something that I'm imagining. It isn't a lack of motivation. Medication isn't frivolous or an easy way our or drugging up. It's a treatment.

Dammit. I said I wasn't going to look at this thread again and I couldn't resist. Silly me. Arrrghh!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Point taken. I know we may not agree on everything, but I don't wish to be your enemy. It looks like there are some points that we do agree on, so we'll chalk that up as a good thing. Me and my parents have been round and round on the medical and nutritional issues several times, so disagreement is nothing new. Doesn't mean I don't love my parents, just means we disagree on some issues.

Troy

[edit on 28-5-2005 by cybertroy]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
besides making you feel like a walking zombi..... no dizziness
but thats it
i couldnt be me it sucked
me not on drugs is soooo much better plus I have add not adhd
so im not hyper or anything

new topics

top topics

join