It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make sushi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Does anyone have any tips on making Sushi? I am kind of crazy about it and all and can't afford to keep buying it already made. I was thinking if I could just get the bare essentials on how to make decent sushi I could make it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone has any favorites that they'd like to share, I'd love to hear it.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I profess that while I have a profound love for both cooking and for consuming massive amounts of sushi.....alas....I have never made my own....But having sat down many a time and watched over a few sake, I can promise you that it is a procedure that A.) Someone here will know, and B.) One that will come with ease after a bit of practice....

BUT! Myself, being a crazed knife collector....The small piece of advice I can offer to you would be that if you wish to make an investment in your love of sushi, and in your soon-to-be-acquired talent of preparing it, then you would be amiss to not own a high quality Sashimi Knife....

G lobal Sashimi Knife

That's my advice....If you can't spring for the Global just yet, there are certainly far less expensive options out there, but oh the beauty of holding it....

Yes - I've officially gone mad folks.....

[edit on 5/25/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sushi depending on the type is relatively easy to make, you need sweet rice, Regular rice is crap! Seaweed wrap and whatever fixins you want on the inside. for example, Cucumber and whatever. you take your seaweed wrap and lay it out. take some cooked sweet rice(about a golf ball size) and spread it accross your piece of seaweed wrap. put your veggies(personal prefrence) and your fish(raw) on top of the rice and roll. then slice into portions. now if you want fish use fresh fish from an asian market. I have heard of almon having parasites so i wouldnt use salmon.
If you like wasabi(i do) put a small amount on your fish and wrap it. Wasabi is very strong! so let who ever is eating it put it on if they want more. there are several other styles of making sushi too. check them out.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I recommend getting the following book, which has many photos of how to make sushi and other Japanese foods. For a task like that, photos make the difference between possible and impossible. Here's the book:

Japanese cuisine for everyone, by Yukiko Moriyama
1st edition 1985. ISBN for ordering it at a bookstore: 4-915249-20-4

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
leptir,

This link could prove most useful in your endeavor, and apparently it won't cost you a hundred bucks for the knife either. [
enron ] j/k

japanesefood.about.com...

Sushi Party

Making Own Sushi Rolls

Hand Rolled Sushi

Nigiri-zushi (hand-pressed sushi) and maki-zushi (sushi roll) are the most commonly eaten sushi and can be served at your home party. But having your guests make their own sushi would be fun! This type of sushi is called temaki-zushi (means "hand-rolled sushi" in Japanese.) Each guest rolls his/her own sushi, choosing his/her favorites ingredients. As a host, you prepare various ingredients so that your guests have lots of choices. It's easy to prepare since all you have to do is to cut and place the ingredients on a large plate and to prepare sushi rice.

How to prepare for Sushi Party (making sushi rolls):

[edit on 8/11/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

join