It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majic Asks: How The Bloody Hell Did I Get Nominated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Seeing as how I pretty much bagged on the whole “councilor” process in this thread, it's a little weird ending up on the ballot as a nominee.

I'm really skeptical about what these councilors will actually be able to accomplish.

Yes, I think it's a good idea for ATS to be responsive to its membership, and yes I do think representative government is a good thing, but I wonder if we aren't going a little overboard on this whole “ATS municipality” thing.

Then there's the warm fuzzy feeling of being nominated. Despite my misgivings about all this, it is still gratifying to have “made the cut” -- without realizing it. I guess some of you think I would do a good job, despite what an insufferable jackass I can be.

But would I do a good job? I'm not sure if this scheme will even work. I'm not a “true believer”, I'm just an opinionated (and unusually verbose) member.

Heck, I'm abstaining and not even voting. What kind of message does that send, if I'm a candidate?

It's not that I don't think ATS can't be improved, I'm just unsure that we need more “structure” to the debate.

So here I am, wondering if I'd be a hypocrite for not withdrawing, while worrying about what I would do if I somehow made the “showdown” election, while calmly assuring myself I need not worry.

Though I didn't vote, I did take the liberty of reviewing the ballot, and in my opinion, the alternatives offered for the DISC councilor position are very strong. I would not be upset to see any of them win that position.

But what would such a person actually end up doing?

Talk about stuff in a private forum? Walk around with a chip on their shoulder? Tell other ATS members how to post (*ahem*)?

What will these councilors actually end up doing to make ATS better?

While I'm quite confident I need not worry about being shoved into that position, for a few moments of panic, I considered what these new councilors would be up against.

Looks like a hell of a lot of hard work with very little chance of success, to me. Whoever takes it, go with my blessings and well wishes.

For my part, I suppose I can still toy with the idea of what I would do if I made it past the primaries.

What should I do if that were to ahppen?

If I'm supposed to represent ATSers, then you should be the ones I ask.

So, what do you want these new councilors to do for you?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
uhhh...

the members of ATS voted for you???

i dont know...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You deserve it, Majic. You are among the best !

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Feeding The Beast

Originally posted by dgtempe
You deserve it, Majic. You are among the best !

Please! dg, my head... the doctor... swelling... arggghhh!

That is a very sweet graphic, at least, and I do appreciate the kind words -- especially in light of the catfights we've had in the past.

I'm pretty sure this is just me using my 15 minutes of infamy before the primaries end, but honestly, I want to know what ATSers really would want me to do if I got elected -- or more aptly, what you want your councilors to do when elected.

So many ideas like this seem nice in principle, but fall apart in practice.

People talk the talk, but then get elected and don't walk the walk.

Will councilors just become another ATS clique?

Will councilors actually do meaningful things to make ATS a better place?

And just what would be better? I worry that we may be about to choke ourselves to death with excessive government.

Yes, flames, trolls and point pharming suck bigtime, but I can think of worse alternatives.

Be careful of what you wish for.

But having said that, what do you wish for on ATS?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Uhh refresh my memory but what Category were you up for again? I myself was a bit flabergasted by getting nominated and am still a Skeptic like you on this whole process, some people are taking it way too serously. Treating this too much like real politics...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
at least you got voted.

/hates popularity contests caue they make him feel even more depressed and rejected

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yeah cpr doesn't know how he was voted for either.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The Number Of The Question

Originally posted by sardion2000
Uhh refresh my memory but what Category were you up for again? I myself was a bit flabergasted by getting nominated and am still a Skeptic like you on this whole process, some people are taking it way too serously. Treating this too much like real politics...

I appear in Question 4 of 7 in the primary ballot, hence the histrionics here.

And yes, I think there is already way more drama than necessary. But then, I still postulate that ATS members actually like drama, when you get down to it.

C'mon, admit it, you know it's true.

At the same time, it seems there is no shortage of criticism regarding what ATS has become and where it may be going.

Beset by an ever increasing volume of opposing demands, the staff is turning the tables and setting some of us up as fall guys.

That would, potentially, be folks like you and me.

Granted, that's a bit cynical of a thing to say, but let's call a spade a spade.

Working At Bayonet Point

Councilors will be expected to make ATS members happy, and make ATS a better place for everyone.

Good freakin' luck with that!

As for the politics, bleccch! Vote for you? I got your vote hangin'.

Yet here I am, apparently politicking at a subconscious level.

Though I doubt I will make it past the primaries, I can't help but wonder what I would do if I made it to the next phase, or, God forbid, got elected.

What would I do? For one thing, bump my U2U quota up to about 1000.

I would need to ask people what they would want me to do.

I've served on all sorts of committees and task groups in past lives, been volunteered for everything you could imagine. So I know this game, and well, as much as it sucks, it can be won.

Whoever people vote for, they are going to expect results, and they are going to expect to be heard.

I'm sure councilors would listen -- I would. But what can they really do when you get down to it?

We'll see, I suppose.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
at least you got voted.

/hates popularity contests caue they make him feel even more depressed and rejected

Don't feel that way.
In the great scheme of things Popularity Contests are meaningless, all that matters is that you are satified with the friends and family you got. Instead of thinking of what you don't have, when a situation like this comes up and brings you down just think of all that you have. I know it's corny but it works.

C'mon, admit it, you know it's true.

Yeah I know...

Well it looks like us two skeptics are gonna have to take a wait and see approach. If the right people get in(eg The right people being those that are mature and didn't actively campaign for the position) it could be a good thing.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Playing The Odds

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well it looks like us two skeptics are gonna have to take a wait and see approach. If the right people get in(eg The right people being those that are mature and didn't actively campaign for the position) it could be a good thing.

Considering the opposition I face, I'm not worried about having to spend my summer in committee, which is good, because I have a lot of outdoor recreation to catch up on after a crappy, rainy spring season.

As for campaigning for the position, I've decided to have fun with it, since campaigning is almost guaranteed to make sure I don't get elected.

Yet at the same time, maybe by doing it, I can get whoever does get the position to do something meaningful once they're sitting in that plush cushy office smoking Cuban cigars and hobnobbing with the Moderati and Administrati.

My advice: have some fun with all this, because dude, this is ATS, and if it ain't fun, then *bleep* it.

P.S. Jehosephat, I was never popular either. The solution? Bury your feelings deep inside where no one can find them, right next to those Hustler magazines and Vote Dukakis stickers nobody must ever discover, then campaign for ATS Councilor.

Then, at long last, your deliverance will come, and everyone will know you're cool.

Edit: Forced upon me by cruel fate and the Powers That Be.

[edit on 5/25/2005 by Majic]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Though I doubt I will make it past the primaries, I can't help but wonder what I would do if I made it to the next phase, or, God forbid, got elected.

Ummm........lets see........you could simply withdraw from the race........now........problem solved…

Why waste everyone’s time if you don’t want the position........this is just silly........

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The Root Of All Evil

Originally posted by kinglizard
Ummm........lets see........you could simply withdraw from the race........now........problem solved…

Why waste everyone’s time if you don’t want the position........this is just silly........

That's the problem. I'm not sure I don't.

If you had a chance to maybe do something to help ATS, even if it was a longshot, would you do it?

Yes, I can bitch about how ineffectual this whole councilor thing might end up being -- and let's not forget, this is just a three-month trial which may fail utterly.

But how can I not shut up if I don't put up?

As cozy as the sidelines are, and as much as I like them, would it really be right for me to say no if ATS says yes?

It's a vain, speculative question at this point. But at the same time, it's still a valid question to ask.

I think it's a valid question for all of us to ask.

What would you do?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Oh, I am SO enjoying this thread...it speaks volumes about the human comedy and fickle fate.

The way I'm reading this, a stauch critic of a new process is running for an 'office' in that potential process itself.
Majic, I hear you and Sardion loud and clear.

No wonder political nominees are selected from those who have put their hats in the ring.

But here things are a little different...it is people like me, with an average of a year at most as members, who, having haunted the boards regularly looking for interesting stories, come across your excellent posts.
I mean...that IS why you've been nominated...your writing style is readable, concise, well-structured and most of all, researched...it gets through and people take note when reading your name.

It's doubly interesting that you are torn between acceptance and denial. For this alone, I would vote for you both.

I most trust those who are willing to judge themselves on their ability.

u 2 rock

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
...that IS why you've been nominated...your writing style is readable, concise, well-structured and most of all, researched...it gets through and people take note when reading your name.

Right on, masqua!, exactly right; I have only been a member for a week but I have been lurking and reading the posts on this site for almost a year and Majic is my favorite contributor. Not only do all the above adjectives apply to your contributions, Majic, but you are witty as hell!

BTW; the primary ballots have already begun being received, I got mine today. I was proud to put my check next to your name. I hope you decide not to withdraw. We need you dude, don't let us down.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I guess some of you think I would do a good job, despite what an insufferable jackass I can be.

Oddly enough, you've just described each of the mods' first post in Cosmic...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Any other board I would say who is it you know from the top down?, But here perhap's you earned it!

Dallas

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A nominee who is simultaneously keen to do a good job, concerned about the possible shortcomings of the system, yet humble and insightful enough to anticipate his own flaws. Sounds like a good combination to me. Go for it, Majic.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Majic, I would endorse you but it would hurt you.

So I'll just say, what you have posted thusfar shows more about your character than all the other posts you've done.

IF you get elected I have no doubt you will strive to do the best job you possibly can.

stay yourself

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Oh Please, Start!

Thanks for the kind words. My ego, which alternates unpredictably between extremes of limitless arrogance and spineless insecurity, always appreciates compliments.

Considering my odds of actually being elected, I think most of my public soul-searching and preaching from my chair amount to dancing in the spotlight for 15 minutes.

I really had no interest in this whole council business until the possibility that I might be on it came up.

The internal dialog went something like this: “Screw it. It's just politics and won't amount to anything worthwhile. What? I'm nominated? Well then this is a matter of greatest import to us all!”

So I had to ponder the apparent hypocrisy of that sudden change of heart, which was not the most pleasant of exercises.

I don't know who nominated me, but whoever you are, thanks, because if nothing else, I think I am learning some valuable lessons from all this.

Not Exactly Sitting Around Twiddling My Thumbs

I'm really not looking for a job. I have some pretty big projects going on elsewhere and would have to make some pretty significant changes to my schedule if I got elected.

The weather just got good around here, and I don't want to have a new job cut into my summer recreational plans too much. I like to travel, hike and camp, and also intend to fix up an old boat and take it out on various lakes, too.

I'm in the process of finishing up a 130,000+ word amateur fiction novel I've been working on since December (about 98% done before it goes into editing), and have entered an album contest which will require me to write and record at least six thematic songs within the next month or so.

I'm also very active on another forum, and would no doubt have to reluctantly scale back my activities there during my term as an ATS councilor, at least.

So I have things to do if I don't get elected. No sweat there.

Will I Or Won't I?

I have undoubtedly given some of my fellow members the impression that my heart might not in it if I got elected.

Well, here's the deal. I've thought it over, and I am willing to give it a shot.

I had seriously considered withdrawing -- not just floating the idea for public drama -- and I have rejected that option.

I'm going to go along with this as far as it will take me. However far that may be, I'm okay with it.

If I become ATS DISC Councilor, I will no doubt throw myself into that job with abandon, as is my custom.

If I don't get elected, I still plan to be a vocal if less active participant in the process, and hope either way to inspire those who do take positions on the council to remember who they're working for: us.

Trappings Of Office

More than a few of my fellow members have observed with concern how politics changes us, and indeed it does.

I find myself wondering if I'm posting from the heart or pitching to the voters. Sometimes, I honestly can't tell the difference.

Is my passion for this process driven by genuine concern, or just an expression of my own bloated ego?

Might I really accomplish anything meaningful through this process, or will this end up being a monumental train wreck, a public spectacle full of sound and fury, and signifying nothing?

Will I, like so many other neo-politicians, become obsessed with “saving the world” and end up promoting every harebrained scheme under the sun to do something, anything, good or ill, simply to satisfy myself and my voters that I'm accomplishing something?

What will the real cost of participating in this process ultimately be?

I don't know, but I think it could be high.

Counting The Cost

I can foresee some prospective councilors -- and staff members -- blowing a fuse over all this.

I can foresee cliques and factions waging war with one another.

I can foresee people who are valued members of our community burning out and disappearing -- perhaps forever.

I can foresee a zealous but misguided council leading ATS down the wrong path, driving good members away and turning ATS into something nightmarish and horrible.

Having said all that...

Nothing worth achieving comes without risk.

For my part, having given these things very careful consideration, I have decided that I am willing to take the risks of campaigning for ATS DISC Councilor, and, if elected, give the job the absolute very best I can give it.

Anything less would be unacceptable to me.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Before I answer 'why'....allow me to ask a few questions?

* Do you feel you are apart of the ATS community?

* Do you feel that you can make a difference in/on/within ATS and its community?

* Are you a sock-puppet of MaskedAvatar? Hold on...don't answer....I can can check that by comparing your IP addresses.

"Anything less would be unacceptable...."

You were nominated, and I nominated you also, because it was felt that you could help make ATS a better place for its current and future members. Were "we" [those of us that did vote for] wrong in making you apart of the selection process?

seekerof

[edit on 27-5-2005 by Seekerof]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join