It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush vows stem-cell veto.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

US President George W. Bush today renewed his threat to veto a bill allowing federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, one day after it passed the House of Representatives.

"I would be vetoing the bill if it were to pass the United States Senate," Mr Bush, who has never used his power to reject bills since taking office in 2001, told reporters at the White House.
The measure passed the Republican-dominated House by a 238-194 vote, paving the way for a confrontation between Bush and lawmakers in his own party over the controversial measure, which divides many Americans.

Source

Sanc'.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well we all know that he was to do that, he has to protect the big pharmaceuticals and other interest groups.

The bill was passed just to keep the ones begging for something to be done to help so many sick and disable with promises of a better quality of life.

Now they will be back to the beginning. This an example of when the government serves a higher power in the name of "interest groups, profiteers and deceivers.”

No need to finding cures when is more profitable to keep you hook on a prescribe drug. Right?

After all your tax payer money is the one that paid for the research but hey....you still have to pay the ourageous prices.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Bush hasn't vetoed a single bill while he has been in office, has he? So why would anybody think he would this time? The republcan controlled house of representatives passed this. Bush will too.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Frith]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I never really understood why people could be so dead against stem cell research to me it seems to be small mildness’ and at worse they want to see people suffer.

Marg in the long term wouldnt pharmaceuticals companys make money thou stem cell research? For example if a pharmaceuticals company discovered a cure for dementia they would make a massive profhit selling the cure around the globe?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think the Senate will probably pass a different bill and something will come out conference that Bush will sign.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
House Passes Stem Cell Bill

The measure now goes to the Senate.

"We're going to do everything we can to stop it," said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan. He vowed to mount a filibuster, which allows a minority of senators to block a vote on the measure.

Meanwhile...

One Kansas Republican Senator Angry over Deal; Backs Frist Nuclear Option

Sam Brownback of Kansas all said they would back Frist...

Brownback pointed out that "we've been hung up now four years" on several of the nominees.

"There's no sign of it ending," Brownback said. "We're kind of at the end of the string. I don't know what else we can do" other than change the rules.

Idiot.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The Republicans have never said they wanted to get rid of the filibuster for the legislative calendar, just the executive one.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Xpert,

"Marg in the long term wouldnt pharmaceuticals companys make money thou stem cell research? For example if a pharmaceuticals company discovered a cure for dementia they would make a massive profhit selling the cure around the globe? "

Pharmaceutical companies do not make more money from treating diseases than from curing them.

As a CEO of a big pharm company which are you more likely to market, a drug that makes it possible to live with AIDS for a natural lifespan but requires a tablet to be taken 4 times a day for the rest of your life, OR, a one-off tablet that cures you of AIDS for ever?

Sorry to be so cynical but that is the truth.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well the problem is that my point of view came from a debate in the house a few months back about how pharmaceuticals were profiting from drugs that were researched using tax payer money alone with private donations of interest groups and universities donations for studies.

This is not something I took from the air, the debate also brought up the fact that pharmaceuticals spend more time in the process of getting drugs in the market than finding cures.

The issue was our money and how is used, instead of offering the drugs at a lower prices, the prices of the drugs are outrageous taking in consideration that is tax payer money involve.

United state is a country that doesn’t regulate drugs prices, but also controls the less expensive drugs that comes into our country.

The excused by the pharmaceuticals was that they spend money advertising, well funny right? It seems that they also get away from investigations in how the money is used. I see more Commercials on TV for male sexual Dysfunction drugs than anything else.

In other words the pharmaceutical industry has become the “other drug cartel” legal in our country.

I bet as a CEO you agree with all the good laws in favor of big pharmaceuticals but you forgot that people like to follow the news and researcy a lot.

www.ag.state.mn.us...

Also Rant what does you expect from our political leaders, is not doubt that is getting hard for them to distinguish which lord they served, it seems that are many of them.

Politicians only want to get rid of the filibusters when it's not in their favor.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Xpert,

"Marg in the long term wouldnt pharmaceuticals companys make money thou stem cell research? For example if a pharmaceuticals company discovered a cure for dementia they would make a massive profhit selling the cure around the globe? "

Pharmaceutical companies do not make more money from treating diseases than from curing them.

Cynical but very true Pharmaceutical companies are blinded by $$ and are willing to over look long term gain. Take an Aids victim for example in the short term more money would be made by selling drugs that might extend someone life however in the long term the Pharmaceutical companies are better off with a vacine or a cure.
Why? Assuming the victim is a kid that surive Aids it wont be the last time that kid will need drugs (ear infections , flu to name a few) more money would be made over a life time then a couple of years.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Xpert,

I am asthmatic and have been for over 25 years.

I am still taking the same basic medicine that I was at the start. The only thing that has changed has been the delivery method.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
President Bush(the idiot) when commenting on the stem cell bill said signing the stem cell bill would set a bad precedent of sacrificing one set of lives(embryos) for others.

What about that war Bush?

What would you call that?

Why is it that Republicans sound stupid?

What...oh nevermind...

[edit on 5/28/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Bodebliss,

"Why is it that Republicans sound stupid? "

This made me chuckle somewhat.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If Bush veto's this, it just shows how much he is for big buisness.

Bush Sucks.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Bush just said recently he wants to spend millions to supply anti malaria and aids drugs to Africa.

What about Americans?

Why can't Bush care about U.S. citizens?

He wants to spread liberty throughout the world and stifle it at home.

He wants to save lives in Africa and let people die here in America.

Bush is an idiot.

Bushy is a moron.

Bush is a thief at home and benevolent dictator everywhere else.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Bodebliss,

Originally posted by bodebliss
Bush is a thief at home and benevolent dictator everywhere else.

Bush is helping the market capitalists.

He is ensuring the retention of a captive (in some cases, literally) market in the US and he is acquiring new markets abroad.

Bush is guided by God and God is the dollar.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I heard someone compared Bush to Hitler once.

Here are some of the reasons why that's not a good comparison :

Hitler was legitimately elected.

Hitler could speak well.

Hitler didn't look at a camera the way a deer looks at headlights.

Hitler's father didn't run the national spy agency.

Hitler's grandfather wasn't a banker who funded the nazi war machine.

If you can think of anymore...

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
bodebliss,
Yeah, I can think of something to add to your comments:

Please stay on topic. This isn't about Bush-bashing. Please feel free to read the opening post if you've forgotten.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I would be vetoing the bill if it were to pass the United States Senate," Mr Bush, who has never used his power to reject bills since taking office in 2001, told reporters at the White House.

OMG, he really thinks he is doing GODs work, this man is crazy.

He wasnt worried about anyone dying when he sent all 150 thousand americans to war.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Bush doesn't care about Americans, America, or healthcare.

It's sad ! Very Sad !

If Americans got the tech to take care of their health problems at home how would Bush's favored greedy corporations make any money off suffering?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join