It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars rovers make slow progress (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It doesn't look like the Mars project seems to be going at the progress they wanted it to go at.

www.usatoday.com
While one robotic rover inches out of its Martian sand trap, the other is finding some of the most extraordinary rocks it's seen so far.

"Geologists crave order. They crave structure, layered rocks, things that you can make sense of," principal investigator Steve Squyres said Tuesday of Spirit's frustrating quest to find answers in the vast Gusev Crater.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In my honest point of view, I think all these articles coming out lately about NASA have been nothing but methods of covering up what they truly discover on this 'red planet'. The question is can the truth be uncovered?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I guess you could look at it that way..Slow progress..
But those buggies have been going for over 470 days..
nearly 100 thousand images..plus tons of other data.

They have outlasted their acceptable lifespan by a year..this is all gravy now..Yes, the Gravy is a little thick for Opportunity..

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Jesus H Crist.

The rovers indeed outlasted their design lifetime. This in itlsef is an achievement. They also provided about same amount of data as a manned mission would. Heck, if they were scaled up to the weight of a manned vehicle, that would be a world-class lab and they would have outdone the humans 100:1.

The experience with this rovers in invaluable. Future exploration vehicles will benefit from it.

It's just amazing how casually people brush off the feat of landing a sophisticated robot on a hostile world a billion miles away, which went on to send pretty solid scientific data and pictures. Gosh. You ever studied engineering?

Kudos to NASA.

new topics

join