It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestine's Big Visitor: Not Laura...But Ronaldo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Ronaldo is the Brazilian soccer player, who happens to be the most famous athlete in the world.

But heroes don't always rise to the level of heroism. This was seen last week when Ronaldo traveled to Palestine in his official capacity as Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations He inaugurated a youth center in Ramallah and announced to a crowd of 1,500 people that his visit was part of a campaign for Middle East peace. He told a news conference, ìI hope that the sports movement will be revived in Palestine, and I hope to see a Palestinian soccer team when there will be peace."

This was in many ways a highly scripted trip. But reality intervened when Ronaldo's plan to visit the occupied Gaza Strip was thwarted by Israeli armed checkpoints.

The checkpoints prevented Ronaldo from granting the wish of a 12-year-old Palestinian boy named Hamad al-Nairib who lives in the Rafah refugee camp, Hamad once dreamt of becoming ìthe Ronaldo of Palestine," but such hopes were dashed when an Israeli cruise missile blew off one of his legs. Hamad wrote the following letter, urging Ronaldo to defy the travel ban on the Gaza strip, so the two of them could ìshake hands."

From an article on CounterPunch.org by Dave Zirin.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Ronaldo is the Brazilian soccer player, who happens to be the most famous athlete in the world.

By definition a soccer player can not be the most famous athelete in the world, since soccer is so lame, and just a corrupted version of football.....

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

By definition a soccer player can not be the most famous athelete in the world, since soccer is so lame, and just a corrupted version of football.....

Yeah, that's a good one. true

Ronaldo is the Brazilian soccer player, who happens to be the most famous athlete in the world

Why? How? says who besides you?

[edit on 25/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I agree, soccer is lame but saying it's a corrupted version of football (i take it you mean American football?) has got to be wrong.

After all "soccer" as you call it was around a lot longer than American football.

If anything American football is a corrupt version of Rugby

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Burgess]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I wonder Which FOOTBALL people started to play First?

I dont think American Football is the one, mister...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
www.nenyl.org.uk...

This has a bit of info
they reckon a "form" of football was being played as early as the thirteenth century in England

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Ronaldo is the Brazilian soccer player

OK

who happens to be the most famous athlete in the world

Again I ask why and how?

[edit on 25/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Why? How? says who besides you?

Apparently there is a BIGGER world outside this Island you call America.

And in this World People Play FOOTBALL - not Soccer - for Thousands of Years.

Its called soccer in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and some other countries, but known simply as "football" in MOST countries.

Billions of people are watching Football - not American Football.

Football or Soccer is played in almost ALL Countries on this Planet - not American Football.

Now lets learn something new today, shall we?

Ronaldo Luiz Nazário de Lima (b.September 22, 1976), simply known as Ronaldo, is a Brazilian footballer who is widely considered to be one of the best strikers of all time. He earned the nickname of "o fenômeno," or "the phenomenon." In 1993, aged sixteen, Ronaldo had already scored 59 goals in 57 matches for Brazil's under-17 squad.

And the question is not, if Football is popular or "lame" and "corrupted", but that Ronaldo, worlds BEST football player could NOT visit a 12-year old boy, who has lost his leg, and will never get to play this game.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I don't live in America

And in this World People Play FOOTBALL - not Soccer

I know this. I live in Europe.

Billions of people are watching Football - not American Football

OK..do you want a cookie....I know this too

Football or Soccer is played in almost ALL Countries on this Planet - not American Football

You want 2 cookies? I know this aswell...Ive been to many countries and in EVERY one ive been to they play soccer...not US football.

Ronaldo, is a Brazilian footballer who is widely considered to be one of the best strikers of all time

I don't doubt it...he's good..probably is the best striker.
That's different than saying

59 goals in 57 matches for Brazil's under-17 squad

Awesome

worlds BEST football player could NOT visit a 12-year old boy, who has lost his leg, and will never get to play this game

I hope the boy will one day get his wish. His should have been able to visit Ronaldo.....sad that he didnt get to. Maybe Ronaldo will make special arrangements to visit him.......

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I don't live in America

Good for You! - Why did you ask me then, who is Ronaldo? If you live in Europe, as you said later, you Should know him!

I know this. I live in Europe.

Nice - where are you From?

I don't doubt it...he's good..probably is the best striker.
That's different than saying

OK - I understand what you want to tell me - that he is not Worlds Famous Athlete. Hm, but its not very far from the truth - in South America he is almost as famous as Jesus himself, entire Europe knows him, even people in Africa known him - but Americans, dont...

You know how many people watch the World Football Cup?

Alot!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Why did you ask me then, who is Ronaldo?

I didnt ask you who he is...I ask you "Why? How? says who besides you?"
As in why is he the best, how is he the best, and who besides you thinks this?.
You have already answered, just wondering why you thought that...thanks

An old soviet country....soccer is like a religion here.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

An old soviet country....soccer is like a religion here.

Which one - if I may ask?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ehhhh.

I may be a Yank, but I do love my soccer too (even though it IS lame compared to our football
).

1st...American football was derived from Rugby, not soccer.

2nd...Ronaldo is not the best player or even the best striker in the world anymore. His teamate on Brazils national team is better then he is - Ronaldinho! I'd take Henry as a striker over Ronaldo as well.

3rd...Ronaldo is not the most famous athlete in the world. His Real Madrid teamate Beckham is more well known then he. And of course, MJ is still probably the most famous.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I may be a Yank, but I do love my soccer too (even though it IS lame compared to our football
).

I like that you do love a game of soccer, altko you find it Lame compared to your football. I find American football somehow too violent and brutal - not to mention rugby ofcourse!

2nd...Ronaldo is not the best player or even the best striker in the world anymore. His teamate on Brazils national team is better then he is - Ronaldinho! I'd take Henry as a striker over Ronaldo as well.

I think Ronaldinho is like a younger brother to Ronaldo - like a smaller version of him.

Dont get me wrong, he is also a Great player - but I think Ronaldo is far better!

3rd...Ronaldo is not the most famous athlete in the world. His Real Madrid teamate Beckham is more well known then he. And of course, MJ is still probably the most famous.

You probably are right, that Beckham is most famous athlete in the Western World - but I still think Ronaldo is Far better player then him!

Beckham is like this Movie Star Football player - rather looks good and looses.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess
After all "soccer" as you call it was around a lot longer than American football.

This is a conspiracy. Revisionist history. Notice, in countries where only soccer is played, they call it 'football', whereas in proper countries, where actual Football is played, this game is properly called "soccer". This demonstrates that Football, infact, is the original. Also notice how the other countries try to explain it, they say that they call it 'football' because its kicked with the feet.
Preposterous. They call it football because its a degenerate form of actual america football.....

they reckon a "form" of football was being played as early as the thirteenth century in England

More sillieness. God didn't make the United States until a little while ago, and he taugh everyone how to play football (well, the real men anyway) after that. See, so it obviously can't have been played in england back then.

This is just like with Cricket. Its a degenerate form of baseball. Baseball has four proper bases, Cricket, they run back and forth between some stick or something. And the smoothly rounded baseball bat is obviously simply inherently better than the absurd oversized cutting board of cricket. Also notice that cricket, being degernate, has had to invent lots of rules, to try to puff it up, and bring it to the granduer that is baseball. Also notice that the 'pitcher' in cricket throws the malformed ball underhanded, like a girl. Further proof of the degenerancy of cricket from baseball than that is superfluous.

souljah
I wonder Which FOOTBALL people started to play First?

Please see above, and don't let the revisionists trick you.

Sure, the world as a whole if bigger than the US, but if a person isn't at least well known and liked in the US then he/she can't be 'the most famous in the world' of anything. Duh.

Football or Soccer is played in almost ALL Countries on this Planet - not American Football.

Yes, its a shame really. But I suppose its nice that the other nations should try, albeit unsuccessfully, to emulate America.

he is not Worlds Famous Athlete

Ah, now the truth comes out, and of course, should we be surprised, that someone who plays a vulgar little kicking game like soccer is not the worldsmost famous athelete? I mean, he's not playing a real american game, heck he's not even an american! So he can't be world famous.

I may be a Yank, but I do love my soccer too

Well, the US did let lots of foreigners immigrate into the country a long time ago, but still, thats no excuse.

Ronaldo is not the best player or even the best striker in the world anymore. His teamate on Brazils national team is better then he is - Ronaldinho

Further proof of the degenerate nature of 'soccer'. They've made this myth about two people from one person, apparently, anyone with even a little ability and talent is too much for soccer (but not football) and soccer-watchers can only imagine that this one good guy is actually two people! And they can't even give him a significantly different name! And just look at the soccer fans, at the actual events. hooligans. If soccer was a real sport, then it'd be engrossing enough just to watch, they wouldn't have to entertain themselves by rioting and such.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
They call it football because its a degenerate form of actual america football.....

This part really made me laugh!

American football has to do with the REAL football, as much as rugby - for example the ball is not round, but "degenerated" into oval form. Its not perfect anymore, but its "the squashed form", so that you can grab it and then people jump on you, like its some kind of gay-parade! WTF is that all about? You want to break this guys neck? Please!

People played REAL football before America was Colonized.

And I mean REAL FOOTBALL by using all sorts of techniques to gain perfect control over a Round Ball.

This is just like with Cricket. Its a degenerate form of baseball. Baseball has four proper bases, Cricket, they run back and forth between some stick or something. And the smoothly rounded baseball bat is obviously simply inherently better than the absurd oversized cutting board of cricket. Also notice that cricket, being degernate, has had to invent lots of rules, to try to puff it up, and bring it to the granduer that is baseball. Also notice that the 'pitcher' in cricket throws the malformed ball underhanded, like a girl. Further proof of the degenerancy of cricket from baseball than that is superfluous.

I dont know anything about cricket - I know a little more about baseball. But I think cricket was "invented" before baseball. Again I see the same frustration you have, then before with Football - soccer situation. If its American its SuperGreat - if its not, then its complete and utter Crap, huh?

Sure, the world as a whole if bigger than the US, but if a person isn't at least well known and liked in the US then he/she can't be 'the most famous in the world' of anything.

Why not? America does not own the World (yet) - are you saying that the whole world is America?

Whole World is Africa - its just Divide into Continents (Black Uhuru)

Yes, its a shame really. But I suppose its nice that the other nations should try, albeit unsuccessfully, to emulate America.

I mean, he's not playing a real american game, heck he's not even an American! So he can't be world famous.

Again - America, American, Americans.

You dont OWN Football - you borrowed the name, since the Entire World speaks the opposite, I can say that the Majority of the Population of this planet, uses the same word - but Americans, dont.

You call it "soccer", saying that its really a degenerative form of football.

"Real American Game" is not world famous Football.

The very earliest form of the game for which there is scientific evidence was an exercise of precisely this skilful technique dating back to the 2nd and 3rd centuries B.C. in China. A military manual dating from the period of the Han Dynasty includes among the physical education exercises, the "Tsu'Chu". This consisted of kicking a leather ball filled with feathers and hair through an opening, measuring only 30 - 40 cm in width, into a small net fixed onto long bamboo canes - a feat which obviously demanded great skill and excellent technique. A variation of this exercise also existed, whereby the player was not permitted to aim at his target unimpeded, but had to use his feet, chest, back and shoulders whilst trying to withstand the attacks of his opponents. Use of the hands was not permitted. The ball artistry of today's top players is therefore not quite as new as some people may assume.

FIFA.com

EDIT: I wonder why comment this Football-Soccer Crap, and say NO WORD about this young 12-year old boy, without his left leg - which was blown off by an american missile, fired by an isreali airplane - that is not going to see his Super Hero, that came within miles of his home, but apparently he just cant cross "That" Checkpoint, to go and visit him, even if his name is Ronaldo.

Kind of Sad isnt it?

[edit on 25/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
With Nygdan in a rare satirical mood, I am looking forward to origins of the names of non-sissy games with Balls.... Err, I mean foos-ball, basket-ball, dodge-ball, calvin-ball and last but not the least moster's-ball....The ball is in your court...Let's Begin..

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Quake]

top topics

join