It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military to Build Four Giant New Bases in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
US military leaders are finally pulling their heads outta their backsides and are planning to build new bases away from population centers. I've been saying we needed to do this from day one. Our presence among the Iraqis has done harm to all sides.

The bases will probably be built in Tallil, Al Asad, Balad and Irbil or Qayyarah - according to the Guardian.

Our men and women will still be close enough to be able to respond to whatever emergency comes up; but will be far enough away from the population centers to hopefully diffuse alot of the tensions felt among the Iraqis. It's a first good step, whether its a sign of impending pullout or not.

US military to build four giant new bases in Iraq
Micahel Howard in Baghdad
Monday May 23, 2005

US military commanders are planning to pull back their troops from Iraq's towns and cities and redeploy them in four giant bases in a strategy they say is a prelude to eventual withdrawal.
The plan, details of which emerged at the weekend, also foresees a transfer to Iraqi command of more than 100 bases that have been occupied by US-led multinational forces since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

However, the decision to in vest in the bases, which will require the construction of more permanent structures such as blast-proof barracks and offices, is seen by some as a sign that the US expects to keep a permanent presence in Iraq.

Politicians opposed to a long-term US presence on Iraqi soil questioned the plan.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I don't see how being isolated in a base in the middle of a desert can help "war on insurgency". I'm tired of paying for this crap with my taxes.
Let's just leave Iraq already.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
We can't just pull out like that. I totally understand how you feel, but we've broken it, as Powell said, now we have to at least try and leave it in a condition that will be favorable to all parties involved. And yes, oil does factor in.

I've always favored positioning our troops in desert bases away from the population b/c it just seems to be the best alternative. Our troops would be safer, the Iraqis could police themselves, our presence in their population centers only provoke their anger (for many reasons) and it would be much safer to train the Iraqi forces out in the middle of nowhere - where we control who and what comes and goes. It's a win win - as long as we HAVE to be there.

Once the Iraqis can police themselves completely, we're off the hook. There is no faster way to do it than this. 'Course that's my opinion. And you know what they say opinions are like...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is a very good idea. When Iraq does stabilize these bases could be useful by having a presence in the middle east.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
This is a very good idea. When Iraq does stabilize these bases could be useful by having a presence in the middle east.

Yep. Although I did not support this invasion/occupation, I am still a realist. We will always have a presence in Iraq now.

As long as the right government can form up, and the people support it, it's not such a bad thing. Our presence in Saudi Arabia is definitely a bad thing.

As long as we're out there in the middle of bumfu**Iraq training the Iraqis to take care of themselves and not in their faces offending them daily, casualties/deaths would most certainly drop. And the out of sight, out of mind principle would most likely apply with regard to the people's anger towards us. Hopefully cool heads would prevail and the fighting would gradually come to end.

Sep

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
These "giant bases" are perfect targets for any insurgent. Hopefully they will be well protected. And hopefully they will be given to the Iraqi army, if the elected government asks US to leave completely.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Why not just work on getting F___ out of there? Qutar's the place US wants to be. In the middle of quagmiar but not directly involved and so Soldiers are not maimed or murdered.

A Couple of years and Frisk will be get involved and being a Doctor will care about loss of American lives and do more to have the fighting revolve around a more sound threat to the US of A.

Dallas

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep
These "giant bases" are perfect targets for any insurgent. Hopefully they will be well protected. And hopefully they will be given to the Iraqi army, if the elected government asks US to leave completely.

I remember watching interviews with russian generals about their war in afganistan, where russians were similary stationed in big bases. The mujahedeen would just drive a truck full of explosives full gas trough the gate and blow it up. Its never going to end...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep

Folks, there is alotta space out there. Thousands of miles of absolute nothingness. You plant a base out there, you completely control the path to it by road and air and you're as safe as you could ever be there. The odds of any vehicle getting near it without our knowing of who and what was in it is slim. Not saying it couldn't happen, but its our troops' best bet. It's the the best thing for the Iraqi trainees, too. They could train out there without the fear of being blasted to hell for joining.

Qatar is, of course, another location we're in. It can't do for this administration what Iraqi bases can. That's the reality of it. This whole thing is multi-layered, understand. There's oil & OPEC actions to deal with, Isreali concerns and the housing of our military over there. Saudi Arabia is off the table.

Should we get the hell outta Iraq? Of course! (I never supported this thing to begin with.) Unfortunately, though, our troops are gonna be there a long, long time. The question remaining is, just how many troops?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
i wounder how many more fantaics this brillient idea of the US admin
will bring to Iraq

its a nice way to streach and strain an army
build a base in every country you can and station a couple thousend there

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The actions of this administration have been the exact opposite of goals they have stated: ending the terrorist threat. ON the contrary, they are making myriad enemies. Think about it. No cold war. No enemy. They've got their pawns now. Let the games continue!

They're killing our Army and Marine Corps. Recruitment for those two branches are through the floor, too.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
[
I remember watching interviews with russian generals about their war in afganistan, where russians were similary stationed in big bases. The mujahedeen would just drive a truck full of explosives full gas trough the gate and blow it up. Its never going to end...

yeah i remember that they use those tactics against embassies and churches rights now. it dont seem to work against bases. thanks to the terrorists back in 1980s against the Marine barracks they taught America how to prevent car and truck bombs from getting into the bases. hasnt work in Iraq yet. the insurgents now target checkpoints and convoys or soft target buildings.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
1) Speaking of terrorists driving trucks through the gate, they could also hijack a plane nearby and fly it into the base.

2) I don't believe that a democratically elected government of Iraq would allow our permanent presence there. No way. Therefore, we should not waste our (my) money to build this stuff.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
1) Speaking of terrorists driving trucks through the gate, they could also hijack a plane nearby and fly it into the base.

true they could have, but u havent seen ani hijackings and crashing into buildings since 9/11, i wonder why, must be lessons learn thingy.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I see the situation with the "four giant bases" this way, when unhappy Iraqi civilians against invasion, decide to target, they will not target the American fortresses, they will target the Iraqi US led government.

It's as simple as that, while the American forces are tuck away safely, the cities will become targets along with their local governments.

These people in the middle east have a fanatical purpose and are against any influence of the west at all cost.

We already know that life for them is not of importance as long as it served the cause.

Almost like US and his "war on terror" in the middle east . . . at all cost.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I like the idea honestly, however I do think Aelita has a point regarding the decision of the Iraqis. It would be a shame to build all that only to have to abandon it.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
A lot of this war is about funneling taxpayer money back to american corporations. We pay them to build the bombs, we drop the bombs and pay them to rebuild the damage. Building four massive bases in the middle of nowhere Iraq is just another means to transfer our tax money into the military/industrial complex. You don't think installing plumbing out there will be cheap do you?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
if insurgents keep attacking the civilians its going to be sort of like a game between two teams with a biased referee dont you think

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Can't happen. We control the air over Iraq.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
if insurgents keep attacking the civilians its going to be sort of like a game between two teams with a biased referee dont you think

The eternal wet dream of the military industrial complex and international bankers. It's called.. the grand chessboard.

We, the people, fall for it everytime.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join