It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: "Freedom Fries" Republican Now Believes Iraq War Had "No Justification"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
With the situation in Iraq now getting worse by the month with no end in sight for a US withdrawal and now that it has come blatantly apparent that there are no WMD's to be found, North Carolina Congressman Walter Jones (R), who is infamous for lobbying to rename french fries in house cafeterias to "freedom fries" which made world headlines as US and French relations worsened at the outset of the Iraq war now is against the Iraq war.

www.guardian.co.uk
Walter Jones, the Republican congressman for North Carolina who was also the brains behind french toast becoming freedom toast in Capitol Hill restaurants, told a local newspaper the US went to war "with no justification".

Asked by a reporter for the North Carolina News and Observer about the name-change campaign - an idea Mr Jones said at the time came to him by a combination of God's hand and a constituent's request - he replied: "I wish it had never happened."

"If we were given misinformation intentionally by people in this administration, to commit the authority to send boys, and in some instances girls, to go into Iraq, that is wrong," he told the newspaper. "Congress must be told the truth."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now this is most surprising. What many would consider that someone who would want to change the name of food to be more patriotic and show their disdain for French opposition to the Iraq War as "extreme" has now completely turned around his view of the war as the reality of Saddam's WMD program has been found and also the realities of the situation in Iraq has become apparent.

The invasion of Iraq has not stopped terrorists, it has created the perfect training ground for terrorists.

Mr Jones also wishes to find the truth about what happened leading up to the war and the Bush Administration's role for it. If they knowingly lied and misled congress on going to war, they should be held accountable.

Related News Links:
www.middle-east-online.com
us-politics.news.designerz.com

[edit on 25-5-2005 by drfunk]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Noce find

I think though that his "no justification remark was due to his feelings that congress was lied to.He would be justified in that statement but may have needed to add that some of the infromation given to the administration was false.

"If we were given misinformation intentionally by people in this administration, to commit the authority to send boys, and in some instances girls, to go into Iraq, that is wrong," he told the newspaper. "Congress must be told the truth."

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I totally agree, that's why I believe the "realities" of the situation are that there are no WMD's therefore there was no justification for the war

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Mr. Walter B. Jones is having knee-jerk reactions.
Elections must be drawing near?

seekerof

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If you read it carefully, there is a funny twist. He proclaimed at one time that God told him to rename the fries. Now he wishes it never happened. I mean, isn't it a grave sin to despise the God's word? I read some of the Old Testament last night, boy, this guy has it coming his way... I think the punishment will come as two gallons of French Dressing, a pound of Dijon mustard and five bottles of cheap Cote du Rhone that he'll have to consume in 24 hrs. And some stinky cheese.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Sorry Seeker he was just re-elected last year.

Aelita: LOL!!! that sounds like hell indeed, but I bet to a frenchman that's heaven

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Can he expect to be censured for going against his own party? George Galloway style?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
is god that little voice inside my head that tells me to flip out all the time?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
No lysergic that's not good it just means you have forgotten to take your lithium again.

And as for the article, well what can I say other than Politricks which one did you fall for?
Positions in DC are shuffling more than a deck of cards on a vegas poker table. But just like in Vegas everyone's still got the same old poker face and in the end the dealer wins.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You know what? I'm PROUD of anyone that is willing to publicly change their minds, and acknowledges that a mistake was made. GOOD FOR HIM. If only more of our country's leadership had the balls to do something like that. Right-wing conservatives all throughout last year's presidential campaign preached about how Kerry could not be depended upon because he was always "flip-flopping" on things. Well? Anyone that takes a stance on something without all of the facts, later learns new facts that should change their opinion, but still holds onto their previous opinion with an IRON FIST is either an idiot, or not to be TRUSTED. If George Bush would just come out and say "Guys...I made a mistake. I acted at the time for what I was convinced would be the best for our country, and world. I was wrong. God Bless all of the soldiers that died for that mistake, and may they also forgive me.", I'd have about a BAJILLION times more respect for the man. But it will never happen. And therefore, he & his administration are a bunch of lying bastards.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Ghaleon4 is correct. Jokes aside, I think it's a sign of responsibility and maturity to acknowledge mistakes that were made.

join