It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seemingly Trivial News Making Big Headlines Lately....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that in the last week or so, there have been things making headlines and dominating the news, that barely seem newsworthy,
given the rest of the devastation and destruction of human lives, etc... that goes on daily?

I'm talking about the huge deal that has been made regarding Newsweek supposedly making a "mistake" when reporting that a Quaran(sp) was flushed or attempted to be flushed down the toilet, causing huge riots resulting in numerous deaths. Then right on the heels of that, photos of Saddam Hussein in his undewear come out, causing another flurry of news headlines and also dominating the news.

Now, I'm wondering if those incidents were really so much more important than what they could have been reporting (especially the photos of Saddam's underwear - I mean, yes, it was a wrong action on the part of whomever took the photos and sold them, but hardly in the same league with many of the other actions taken over in Iraq and elsewhere resulting in all kinds of unneccessary casualties, etc... ), or were they a deliberate attempt at diverting attention away from something much larger, something that the government did not want to be made public. Or perhaps it was a combination.

Suppose those riots and killings did happen, and were maybe even a lot worse than we were led to believe, but the real reason for them was not something that BushCo wanted let out to the public. Maybe the Quaran-in-the-toilet was just a cover (ridiculous as it may sound) for something much more terrible that happened that led to the riots.

And, please understand that I am not ridiculing the Quaran. I do not know enough about it's true importance to the Muslim people, to say for sure that it was NOT a horrendous enough insult for them to be seriously infurriated over, enough to cause those riots and killings. It might well be, since I don't truly know.

However, something about the whole thing just doesn't ring true. I'm not sure exactly how, it just feels like a cover up of something. That Newsweek deal happened over a week ago, and it is still discussed on the news several times a day. I get the impression, and this is only my personal impression, that somehow, Newsweek stumbled upon something that they shouldn't have (according to whoever was hiding whatever they were hiding), and that Newsweek was somehow forced into retracting their story, which probably was true, I mean about the Quaran in the toilet, but possibly not the underlying cause of what really happened.

I don't know. I might be overly suspiscious, but having just heard the story for about the 100th time in a little over a week, enough is enough. Why are they not letting us forget about it. What are they really hiding?

Any one else wonder about this?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Last week or so?

I've been noticing it for about..11 years give or take.

My strategy is this: if the television tells you to look left, look right. Maybe there's nothing..or maybe there's something they don't want you to see.

Stories have this nasty habit of disappearing suddenly..and being replaced with run away brides and miracle dogs and of course..the mother of all distractions..reality TV.

What better way to distract people than with a substitute reality, 'artfully' packaged and marketed as such?

I'm rambling, but point being, it's not recent. It's not even inceased in duration or intensity from what I can tell. One missing white girl a month, a pretty lady, a scary black man, some religious nut jobs, some pervert, some nudge towards greater enslavement to the state, rinse and repeat.

Thankfully the fluff is pretty easy to spot, especially when compared next to the real stuff.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The stories you cite I see as actual big news because of the international implications.

Some stories such as the runaway bride, the Peterson murder case, etc. just seem to take on lives of their own and get way more media attention than they deserve though.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Last week or so?

I've been noticing it for about..11 years give or take.

I realize that "Pre-Packaged News is not a new strategy, it just seems as if it is more prevelant now than ever before. Or, maybe just more noticeable to me now.......

Stories have this nasty habit of disappearing suddenly..and being replaced with run away brides and miracle dogs and of course..the mother of all distractions..reality TV.

You're absolutely right. I guess that there was just something in particular about the stories I referred to that seemed especially transparent, or maybe, I am just fed up with it all. Now that you mention it, I had forgotten about the "runaway bride" (ROTFLOL!) That was too much, wasn't it?

//ed for "p.s."//

That "Bride" just hit me funny. I did mean what I wrote in my post.

[edit on 5/25/2005 by CyberKat]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I watched fox news last night (local station not cable), and well, out of a half an hour of "news" If you subract the commericials and weather, well, I think half of the news concerned tv shows like American Idol and such.

And, then, I listen to NPR on the radio alot. What can I say, daytime tv stinks, and I really don't iget into music too much. Well, our fine government thinks that public media is "too liberal" they want them to change their schedule.....and play classical music?? The only other non-music shows on are of the likes of Rush Limbaugh and such......and if NPR is too liberal well then these guys are radical conservatives!!

Man, we really need to start supporting the public broadcasting more, so they can depend on the government even less.....so they can retain some of their independance. Seems the private media has all been bought out by either the libs or the dems.....

[edit on 25-5-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
in the days of corporate media and 24 hour networks there isnt just enough really important stuff happening that will interest the US public. So that's why on American news there is junk like a runaway bride or some redneck who captured illegal immigrants.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 6 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CyberKat

Update 9.5.2022

Fox News has become fanatical about covering when one lady goes missing, and is usually found dead. Several times over the past 3 years. Tens of thousands of missing persons, but FoxNews focuses on ONE, every few months.

Usually a White Lady, reportedly kidnapped by a Black or Hispanic Man.

One incident was an Iowa girl 2 years ago. (Found dead in Cornfield, at the hands of a Hispanic man.)

The latest is this lady.(Eliza Fletcher)..found dead over the weekend: www.foxnews.com...

I don't think FoxNews mentioned Ashli Babbit, who was murdered by a Capitol Police Officer on January 6, 2021.

top topics

join