It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting jokes, ridiculing, making fun of others in threads...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
You do not laugh on ATS, ATS laugh on YOU!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It's kind of embarassing to me to admit, but often I really don't "get" jokes very easily. So, sometimes, I have responded to a post sympathetically, thinking that the poster is serious, when I find out later that it was just "satire", or a joke.

Then, it's really embarassing. But, I don't see any solution to that, other than for me to learn to distinguish jokes from non-jokes

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

"Boulder on Farm" thread

David Blaine levitation thread

Found alien life! thread

These threads have been sabotaged and destroyed by the replies made in them. Instead of rational discussion, debunking (if necessary), or acknowledgement of possibilities (if necessary), more and more members are resort to ridiculing others and claims made in threads from the get go. It's what is on the automatic pilot in their brain apparently.

I have reviewed all three threads mentioned above and honestly, bar a bit of unrequired humour (posted by moderators I might add) on the SETI discussion, I failed to see where the problem was.

Maybe I am thick-skinned or something?? If they crossed some line I have seen the vast majority of posts here go miles past it.....

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I wade in again with trepidation.......

A foolish man stands alone. Totally unto himself.
For only a fool believes a fool.

At ATS we should let the words speak for themselves. And evidence should back-up those words.

But then let the critics go wild..........

I don't want someone mocked for their opinion, but if it is false data, or a complete fabrication...... You Have To Confront That, Head On....

I think we can learn from each other without being rude or insulting, but when a quip, inverted quote or a smart (mammal of the genus Equus, resembling and closely related to the horses but having a smaller build and longer ears, and including the domesticated donkey) remark is called for, let the poster beware.

When the original poster makes no sense, or has posted something intended to get a jocular response, let the people have some fun.

If the topic is serious to the member, they can state that in a reply.
And I have every confidence that other members will treat it with the respect it deserves.

(member drags his (mammal of the genus Equus, resembling and closely related to the horses but having a smaller build and longer ears, and including the domesticated donkey) out of this one)

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
You're right..... and I think I just did it in a thread...

I'm sorry. I won't do it anymore.

Thanks for reminding us.... yes we all should know better, but an occasional reminder is a good thing.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I disagree with the example threads given by bandit.

I see nothing in the first two remotely 'off the planet.' Therefore I didn't bother looking at the third.

If what is in the first two are indicative of ruination of the board then I have serious doubts the board will survive a threatened long dry spell.

What I have seen in threads is mocking by some being sanctioned and retorts by others being flagged.

The almost constant 'what is wrong with ATS' answer is not here.

Research forums are for straight-line data, create a place where discussions are by 'invitation only.'

Dry discussion without provocation (rain) will end up with either a dead field or one yielding stunted produce.

It takes rain (disagreement and provocation) and sun (agreement) to produce a bounty.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more Bandit, the levity present within the various forums has reached an unbearable level. Jocularity reigns supreme over the serious business at hand, the one-upmanship the order of the day. Well the General has a few new orders, and the cessation of forum stand-up comedy is one of them.

I'd say "carry on," but that's all anyone ever does.

Dismissed.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The Specter Of "Discussional Correctness"

If a member violates the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, I think that member should be punished and discouraged from doing so again.

We all agreed to abide by those terms when we signed up, and when we violate them, we violate our own agreement for being here.

We have all agreed that if any of us violates the T&C repeatedly -- or just once egregiously -- we can and should be banned, at the sole discretion of the ATS staff.

That's the deal.

When someone expresses an opinion in a manner another member finds unacceptable -- but that does not violate the T&C -- is the solution a post from the offended member to that effect, or calls for an ATS “speech code”?

Want to kill a discussion board in record time?

Enforce "Discussional Correctness".

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Funny you should mention TC violation when the poster above you is admin on a second account- expressly forbidden by the TC.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
I disagree with the example threads given by bandit.

It takes rain (disagreement and provocation) and sun (agreement) to produce a bounty.

I disagree with you on this statement. While disagreement can produce, I see little value in "provocation". It's only value is self-promoting and antagonistic, which is NOT condusive to gaining anything, other than an arguement. That achieves little. Might even be a step back.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Some news are funny.

Some are depressing

Some are for knock down drag out fights...

Personally, i like a sense of humor and see something funny in everything.
I like posting funny stories once in awhile., and people thank me and appreciate it. It stands to reason if you find a bolder some place it never was in, it is kind of commical- I think it is
So are you saying, because you would laugh at such a story,(God forbid) you shouldnt post anything?

I understand that uncalled for remarks like "thats a stupid story" would be hurtful to the poster and i would never say that., and i know we shouldnt make such comments. But if its a cute or funny story and would make afew laugh, whats the harm in that?
Must we only speak of the government
old prophecies that never come true
The NWO?

Do we now have to not only be afraid of what story we post but how we respond to a post?

This life is too stressful as it is.... I do not agree with this.

ps. I do want to add that ridiculing and making fun of people is NEVER cool.
Dont do it

[edit on 25-5-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So no Sarcasm, No off the cuff remarks designed to get a lol, just serous conspiracy discussion. Great, just great......................................................

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
So no Sarcasm, No off the cuff remarks designed to get a lol, just serous conspiracy discussion. Great, just great......................................................

Nooooo...... just no dissing. I could diss your post, if I thought about it.

See? A difference of opinion, no slagging.

I could do it if you really need it, but I don't see the value.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Anyway, I've read the replies in this threads, and I support intrepids replies as they are exactly what I would reply to the posts made here.

Sarcasm at the cost of another member is abuse, which I consider a violation of T&C.

And btw... Major Disrepancy is not admin nor a mod...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I would feel honored if someone took the time to read my post in its entirely and reply.

No sense in keeping things "vague" and unanswered.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
And btw... Major Disrepancy is not admin nor a mod...

Then why isn't he banned? He's the most inflammatory person I've seen on ATS (well, besides "general dilemma", who doesn't appear to be active at the moment). If the persona is a joke, it's about as funny as getting shot in the face.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Dgtempe,

I wasn't talking about lighthearted, funny stories or posts. Of course you can post those, and I enjoy reading them. So no problem there.

And as for Major Discrepancy, if you don't agree with him being here. You can a complaint. Personally I haven't seen his posts that much, so I don't have much to say on the matter.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thank you- my English is worse than i thought

I appreciate your reply- i feel better

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by sardion2000

Nooooo...... just no dissing. I could diss your post, if I thought about it.

See? A difference of opinion, no slagging.

I could do it if you really need it, but I don't see the value.

Okay, I guess I just read into it the wrong way then. I just sort of grew used to the way ATS is I guess. *shrug* I take most off-the cuff remarks wether they were meant to be cruel or funny as jokes. All of them wether they are directed at Me or other people.

Personally I don't really slag on other members that often(if at all). Maybe when I'm having a bad day I post before I think but the majority of the time I write a scathing reply only to re-write it multiple times as I hate offending people.

I can completely understand where you guys are coming from now. Why I didn't before is a mystery. OH yeah I know fecking Blizzard ... arrrg.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Funny you should mention TC violation when the poster above you is admin on a second account- expressly forbidden by the TC.

Exactly! If not the how about Gen. Dilemma?

Admin (or not) running two (or more) accounts and slamming people- where is the even handedness in that?

Personaly, I think they are funny.

Just like another 'member' having two.

I had a picture 'nuked' by Netchicken (supermod).
After I told him I wouldn't post anymore to ATSNN because of his antics he told me in a u2u:

Gee thanks duckie.
It nice to know that you care.
Now bend over and let me show you how much i appreciate it...

See, there is not a whole lot of consistency.

On the picture- someone else posted a picture nearly the same (hair color difference) asnd it's still there!

Levity is levity. It's all in the head of the beholder.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join