It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting jokes, ridiculing, making fun of others in threads...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Do not add to discussions on ATS. They lower the level of this webforum to that of Kindergarten kids IMO.

The following threads are prime examples:

"Boulder on Farm" thread

David Blaine levitation thread

Found alien life! thread

These threads have been sabotaged and destroyed by the replies made in them. Instead of rational discussion, debunking (if necessary), or acknowledgement of possibilities (if necessary), more and more members are resort to ridiculing others and claims made in threads from the get go. It's what is on the automatic pilot in their brain apparently.

It needs to stop now!!!. This website did not have a discussion board for this. In the past I have made a thread about this very subject, which I have pinned on top of the Aliens & Ufo's forum. but apparently people either never read it, have a very short memory, or it goes through the eyes and comes out the ass.

I will make sure that something will be done about this.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
These threads have been sabotaged and destroyed by the replies made in them.

I think those threads were sabotaged with the topic which only warrants silly responses and replies. What much is there to say about a 'Boulder on a Farm' or a cheap trick done by a Street Magician?

It's what is on the automatic pilot in their brain apparently.

It's a strategy that takes place when a thread overwhelming focus is on something so ridiculous as these topics. I've even seen threads created asking questions such as 'What do Aliens eat?' 'Do Aliens read ATS?'...etc. What do you expect?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That is no reason for anyone to do that. You can still do without posting nonsense on threads. If the threads sounds ridiculous to you, don't post. There are other threads you could be interested in.

And perosnally when I see such outrageous threads that have nothing to do with real conspiracies, I move them to BTS. But I personally see only a fraction of threads due to my limited time on ATS. But I NEVER try make an ass out my fellow member (unless he's really looking for it by attacking me or others), which I do in ways that are not bringing down the level of discussion of the board in general.

What's wrong with "Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense" posts? Keep it civil.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Actually I though that the thread on the border was actually a joke, due to the fact that tonight I am not in a joking mode I opted from posting a silly remark.

I guess Bandit is not in a Joke mood tonight either. I saw the very nice bold letters in your post I imagine many got the point.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
so how about that alien life? am I proved wrong yet?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The best tactic for the obvious stupid and idiotic threads is silence... Very simple.

You don't reply to the thread, and the member who posted it will be discouraged from posting similar threads. But that's not so easy to understand here apparently.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
When an ATS post strikes me as particularly stupid or inflamatory, I write a scathing reply, and then smoke a cigarette, before finally clicking new posts on the top bar without having submitted the reply.

Makes me feel better every time.

Caution: Using ATS can be hazardous to your health and sleeping patterns, unlike cigarettes which are, of course, completely harmless.

(That sort of joking is still permitted, no?)

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Woman speaking in tongues found on border boulder here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
(check the fourth post)

Bandit

Wuz you laffin' at me?

Yes you. I heard you laff.

Wuz you laffin' at me?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well if folks had read my reply it was not meant to piss anyone off, as the article said there were marks on the rock that made it seem to be put there by machinery, not levitation or aliens.

I was just commenting with an outrageous solution to the question, but the article already had ruled it out so no ill intent to anyone.

Folks its a conspiracy board, don't forget.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Caution: Using ATS can be hazardous to your health and sleeping patterns, unlike cigarettes which are, of course, completely harmless.

(That sort of joking is still permitted, no?)

Of course...
As long as it doesn't offend a fellow member.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The best tactic for the obvious stupid and idiotic threads is silence... Very simple.

You don't reply to the thread, and the member who posted it will be discouraged from posting similar threads. But that's not so easy to understand here apparently.

Thank you so much for taking this in to account..
I have noticed it is getting worse each day..
Having people on ignore helps, BUT they just change names and it starts all over again..
This forum is sent from the cosmos, and how dare anyone try to demean it?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No offensive posts....what's an offensive guy to do?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You don't reply to the thread, and the member who posted it will be discouraged from posting similar threads.

I got lots of threads with no replies...

But I agree. Silence to stupid threads is better than replies like "Oh no, not again. We don´t want to hear any more about this stupid topic" or "This should have been posted here or there or not at all". U2U a Mod or file a complaint instead and let the Mods do their job (deleting or moving or whatever is appropriate). That´s what they´re paid for, isn´t it?...
Stop polluting threads that doesn´t concern you. Is it possible to post directly into the trashbin? Move on... nothing to see... blahblahblah...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
WOW, A THREAD ABOUT A THREAD.......

I dropped a responce into the "boulder thread".

This sort of thing should not be put down on ATS.
Sure it was a silly post with a conclusion in the originating story, but some of these are just fun to read.

Go through some of the UFO threads, or some of the really wierd stuff on this board.
Some members add humor without mocking the original poster, and those that make an ass of themselves are known to all that read their posts.....

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
No offensive posts....what's an offensive guy to do?

I like it!

That sounds like a signature post for someone like me.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
What about when someone has posted a reply to a thread, illustrating themselves as a complete idiot, and insulting you (or another member) in the process? Are we not allowed to defend ourselves against this type of ignorance? (check many of the recent PETA/ALF/ELF/animal testing threads for examples). Are we not allowed to point out the obvious ignorance of a member in regards to a certain topic (no so much insulting them in general, but rather informing them of their ignorance in regards to a particular topic). I only ask because many of the responses I see on the afore mentioned threads illustrate a complete lack of knowledge on the subject in question.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
TheBandit795, I totaly agree. Such thread hijacking is very annoying and it doesn't belong on ATS.

These things always start the same way.

One member feels the need to post something "witty" to make him look "cool", all the others after that feel the need to post something equaly witty so they too can be "cool" (none of it is neither witty nor cool actually).
It can ruin a discussion in a matter of minutes.
It can be really annoying if one is interested in the topic, but can't discuss it seriously because of this.

I really don't understand why can't people just IGNORE the threads they are not interested in? Just MOVE to the thread that interests you, leave the ones who want to discuss to do that in normal fashion without ridicule. There is absolutely no need to post "oh you pull that one out of your ass" or "ninjas are attacking" (saw it in one thread the other day) or some other not at all witty comment.
Constructive intelectual posts with oposing point of view are most welcome here on ATS I think, but the one-liners or short paragraphs meant only to ridicule someone are really not in the best interest of "denying ignorance" motto of ATS.

We all have different opinions, views, beliefs, etc, etc, that might seem ridiculous to others. That doesn't mean we have the right to ridicule them here.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
TANK ATTACK!

Sorry, couldn't help it after the ninja comment

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Regarding this subject, I really think James the Lesser gets away with a LOT, ridiculing christians and derailing threads by making people angry.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Jakko]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My aren't we all getting very sensitive all of a sudden!! Nobody can take a joke or a sarcastic yet witty remark anymore?

You say that the only time you should post is to debunk or discuss? How about those of us who enjoy debunking with a bit of humour? Why this sudden desire to take all the flavour out of ATS? I understand trying to end flamings and people hurling insults at each other but at the cost of becoming dry and uninteresting?

Would George Galloway have been half as enjoyable if he had just droned out his defence? People enjoy skillful writers as much as they do orators, it is what makes this community so much fun!!

Well Bullies mind, are not needed the general ATS community should remember:

As they say, "Ask a silly question....."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join