It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having an Electric Car Would Solve A lot of the Worlds problems

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Imagine having a car that only need plugging into the mains overnight. No more costly petrol to buy, no more greenhouse gases,no more wars for oil.This can only be the way forward, if your worried about speed , take a look here. www.forbes.com...

[edit on 24-5-2005 by Bulldog 52]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
And how may i ask are you planing to generate this electricty?
a GAS powered generator? Build a few Hundred more Gas power plants?
(all of wich need oil as well. aaa Nukler thats the ticket well just build 500 nuk plants and Hope nothing goes wrong. Wich also need oil b.
For personly use its easy to become Unpluged from the gas pumps and the electricty lines . But for citys and whole countrys its lets call it impractical . Money is a big one . Trillons upon trillions of $$$$ to converet the country over to a new MAIN power sorce cars plants or what ever.
Then of corse theres the Worlds econmy to think about .No need for MILLIONS of service stations . So where do these people work now?
We can dream up a million different ways to try and stop the inevadable downfall of our way of life but its not a question of if but of when and that question will be answered in less then a decade.
If we had started back in the 50des we mite have stood a chance but it TOOO late now 55years to late.
so sit back and have a cold one in memory of the Oil age .and of the Teck big citys over poplation age .
in 50 years our world will once again be a quiter place as billions of the Noise making animal die off .

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
(all of wich need oil as well. aaa Nukler thats the ticket well just build 500 nuk plants and Hope nothing goes wrong. Wich also need oil b.
For personly use its easy to become Unpluged from the gas pumps and the electricty lines . But for citys and whole countrys its lets call it impractical . Money is a big one . Trillons upon trillions of $$$$ to converet the country over to a new MAIN power sorce cars plants or what ever.
Then of corse theres the Worlds econmy to think about .No need for MILLIONS of service stations . So where do these people work now?
We can dream up a million different ways to try and stop the inevadable downfall of our way of life but its not a question of if but of when and that question will be answered in less then a decade.
If we had started back in the 50des we mite have stood a chance but it TOOO late now 55years to late.
so sit back and have a cold one in memory of the Oil age .and of the Teck big citys over poplation age .
in 50 years our world will once again be a quiter place as billions of the Noise making animal die off .
Looks like you are the typical American who has got his petrol at a very cheap price. This wont last the oil is finite , electric has to be the way to go.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well all of this assumes that battery tech hasn't advanced. We have batteries tht will now charge in minutes, vs. hours. Some will charge in one minute.

-P

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
An electric car would be cheaper to run, easier to maintain and be pollutant free. Why are people so against this as its the only way to go. Just think of the oil that is becoming so dear not being wanted as much, probably bankrupting most of the Middle East. The Country which brings out a viable electric car will be the next superpower as people flock to buy them . Looks like America doesn't want to go there , perhaps the Chinese or Japanese will be there first and reap the benefits.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
As already said, unless we rely more on nuclear power plants or find another source for clean electricity production, you'd be only displacing the location of the pollution, not eliminating it.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
An electric car would be cheaper to run, easier to maintain and be pollutant free.

Where do you think electricity is generated? Out of thin air, I suppose. Most of the world burns fossil fuels to make most of it's electricity. Oddly enough, the source of electricity that is by far the cleanest - nuclear - is often opposed by the same people who advocate electric cars.

Hydro is also "clean", but does enormous damage to the environment. Wind and Solar power are currently extremely expensive and not practical in many (most) locations......

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
save money?
electricity prices are also on the rise. i seriousely doubt that i would save a penny.

where would i plug it in? my seventeen unit appartement building dosn't even have a single parking space. we have to park within a three block or so raidious. so where would i get power from? how would someone acess it? we are talking about an ependiture in the $$$$$ billions $$$$$$ in order to try to facilitate all the people who like me do not have a permanant parking space or even access to power where the car gets parked.

after the big blackout a few years ago we have been constantly told that we need to CUT OUR POWER USAGE, as we can barely facilitate the demand we CURRANTLY have, oh ya and we just shut down our coal plant without a replacement so we even have that much LESS power available. so we would also need $$$$ billions $$$$ to build MANY MORE nuke plants.

no more costly gas perhapse but we would end up paying far more for electricity than we do now just to pay for the upgrades needed to provide so much more power to suply cars as well as everything else.

now add in the fact that we realy don't have a reliable and efficiant way to produce power without causeing pollution and other harm to the enviroment. so explain how it would cut down enviromental problems? electric cars are NOT THE ANSWER. they would create far more problems then we already face. they are a pipe dream used to make it look like they are trying, when any actual thought about it will make one realize that it is a waste of time even considdering. ELECTRICITY IS NOT ENVIROMENTALY FRIENDLY BY ANY MEANS.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
One thing I'll say good about the French is that they've been investing in nuclear power for years and now get over 75% of their electricity from nuclear power stations. Too bad the U.S. pretty much abandoned building new plants years ago.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It would be great if electric cars were easily available, but unfortunately, for a lot of people, right now they would be inconvenient or just not practical at all.

A very good point made above:
"where would i plug it in? my seventeen unit appartement building dosn't even have a single parking space. we have to park within a three block or so raidious."

Many, many people live were they need to park on the street. Could you imagine hundreds of electric cords criss-crossing the streets in densely packed residential areas.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Electric cars are slow, hideous looking, and expunsive. Swaping in a gas guzzler for an electric car that gets its electricity from a fossil fuel plant is what you are suggesting to save us from greenhouse, war, and oil prices? What are you smoking? For the thousanth time, electricity ain't magic folks, and there ain't enough nuclear plants to provide the 'clean' alternative to fossil.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
...and battery technology has a long way to go before it becomes practical for most people. Batteries have a very limited range and need complete replacing every few years.

Maybe some day all-electric cars will be practical for large numbers of consumers, but we are not there yet.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
A change to Electric cars would be a positive move in my opinion, currently the only Country to address this is Japan who have made great steps in making a viable electric car. People might like to know that electricity is free if you have solar panels, perhaps with a bit more money spent on R and D might help. I agree that most electric cars are not as nice as their petrol driven counterparts at the moment, but to do nothing and still rely on oil as the source of energy will get to expensive as the oil is depleted.
The time is ripe for this new technology to step foreword , whoever builds an electric car that is as good as the present petrol driven ones , will make lots of money. My bet is on the Chinese , Japanese , Koreans to do this as America and Europe cant grasp that oil is running out.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Electric cars can definitely be one step. One thing you do away with is the quarts of oil you need for a IC (Internal Combustion) engine. And it's just plain simpler technology. IC engines are a beatiful work of art, but they are just too complex. The electric engine is far less complex. Batteries can easily use solar as one way to recharge them. Just one way to charge a battery.

Now, if the Oil World Order will release their death grip monopoly on energy, you just might see some of the other alternatives that are apparently being suppressed. There are energy sources and forces all around us, just as a hint.

Troy

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is another example of advances in the electrical engine.This engine is said to have potential to be as fast as formula 1 cars.

slashdot.org...

Of course battery life and charging it are still a problem,but fossil fuel cars are not the future of earth as we all know.A step in another direction has got to be made in the near future. At least Hybrid sales and model selection are climbing very fast each year.

Oh yeah that Tzero looks like ablast to drive,0-60 in 3.6 secs weighs about 2,000 pounds.Like a big fast go cart.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by TahoeSkiBum]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
One thing I'll say good about the French is that they've been investing in nuclear power for years and now get over 75% of their electricity from nuclear power stations. Too bad the U.S. pretty much abandoned building new plants years ago.

So, it's OK to dump the spent radioactive fuel rods in New York then? We don't even have a way to take care of the nuclear waste now and you want to create more. I'd say OK if we can dump the kaka in TEXAS.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
So, it's OK to dump the spent radioactive fuel rods in New York then? We don't even have a way to take care of the nuclear waste now and you want to create more. I'd say OK if we can dump the kaka in TEXAS.

We should be depositing them in Yucca Mountain, Nevada.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Are you guys in America going to loose out to the Far East in this Technology because you have had cheap gas, i think so ,you seem to think the oil will last forever.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I agree. My thought to the contrary here is where is the recharging electrical power coming from in the majority? Is it fossil fuel?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Thats not the issue, if you changed to Electric you would not be buying Gas saving on oil imports ,unless you produce energy by oil. Imagine not having gas stations and having to use them and getting your car filled up by electricity, thats for the scientist to do, but its got to happen.America is way behind in this technology because you think oil is forever

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join