It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Like Info. On the U.S. Iran Hostage Era

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I would like any links everyone might know of that would have the Information that brought the end to the U.S. Iran Hostage situation. I have looked both on on and at the public library. The information I have found is not complete to the best of my memery. I did live through that time so I do have some memery of it.

It is my belief at this time, that part of the history of that time, the "EMBARASING" part, is being kept out of the ofishal record. So I would like to know if this informations is avaible and where it is.

Thanks.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't know where you searched online, but there seems to be a lot of info:

Using the search terms Iran hostage:
yahoo search
dogpile search

[edit on 28-5-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I don't know where you searched online, but there seems to be a lot of info:

Using the search terms Iran hostage:
yahoo search
dogpile search

I did find info on line but the info seemed to be incomplete.
thanks for posting, when I check the info you posted I will get back again.

//ed to fix BB code in this link and mine
//

[edit on 28-5-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Wikipedia has some good information on the 'October Surprise'

en.wikipedia.org...
Proponents of the theory, such as Barbara Honegger, a researcher and policy analyst with the 1980 Reagan/Bush campaign (interviewed in link), allege that William Casey and other representatives of the Reagan presidential campaign made a deal at two sets of meetings in July and August at the Ritz Hotel in Madrid with Iranians to delay the release of Americans held hostage in Iran until after the November 1980 presidential elections. The idea was that Reagan's opponent, the incumbent President Jimmy Carter, whose team had been negotiating, wouldn't gain a popularity boost (an 'October Surprise') before election day. The allegations included a date-specific allegation that William Casey met with an Iranian cleric in Madrid, Spain, and much of the tardy investigations have centered on whether, at the weekend in question he was actually at a Bohemian Grove retreat in California. Though William Casey was probably in London following the alleged meetings, critical pages of his daybook diary were unaccountably missing when the investigators came to look for them over a decade later.

Carter was at the time dealing with the Iran hostage crisis and the hostile regime of the Ayatollah Khomeini. Those who assert that a deal was made allege that certain Republicans with CIA connections, including George H. W. Bush, arranged to have the hostages held through October, until Reagan could defeat Carter in early November, and then be released. The hostages were in fact released on the very day of Reagan's inauguration, twenty minutes after his inaugural address. The timing of the release did not spark much press attention at the time.

Two months earlier, in a campaigning interview, Ronald Reagan had said that he had a "secret plan" involving the hostages. "My ideas require quiet diplomacy," he had responded when pressed, "where you don't have to say what it is you're thinking of doing.".

There are some more documents on the National Security Archive site but they aren't very detailed on htis particulat incident:
www.gwu.edu...

The BBC has an interview with one of the masterminds of the embassy takeover but they don't discuss the October Surprise:
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ace of Base,
That is some good info, thanks! I also went to the NSA arcives and that is a good place for info. I will look around there some more when I can, but so far still did not find what I am looking for.

Dont tred on me.
I did go to your links and there is a lot of info out there, which is probable why it is so hard to find all the info of the time. Again thanks for posting the links and I hope to keep getting more ideas.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Way back when I was at the American consulate in Berlin, Germany. I talked to the consul who was one of the hostages. Among other things he told me that the Iranians tortured the serviceman. The marines broke and gave up the info. But he said a couple of the army guys went futher: the went over to the other side and helped the Iranians with info on how to torture the others.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
starviego
yikes that is bad. I guess they did a pretty good job keeping that out of the press, and out of the record. I have not come across anything like that as of yet. I do truely hope those that rolled over were no longer allowed to serve.
And thanks for your info. but I have been trying to find info on the terms of relise. There is still something that I rember happening that has not been in any of the records that I have found.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Ah, you mean when Reagan made a secret deal with the Iranians not to let go of the hostages under diplomatic talks with Carter? Wow, Reagan, playing games as such, and is still considered one of the greatest leaders of America?

Deep

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
``

it's my thinking you won't find much of anything that isn't 'filtered'
and 'homogenized' for public consumption.

one might try overseas news/data sources (BBC?)
or even the (at a price) data bank of Lexus Nexus

i'm requesting my Senator (L Graham) to assist me with "FOIA dead-ends",
maybe your Representative in your state, has this service too.

~~

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Ah, you mean when Reagan made a secret deal with the Iranians not to let go of the hostages under diplomatic talks with Carter? Wow, Reagan, playing games as such, and is still considered one of the greatest leaders of America?

Deep

Zero,
yes I have recently read about that, did find it rather interesting. I would not have guessed that was going on at the time and Reagan is considered one of our greater leaders. But that is not what I have been looking for. But still thanks for your post, I still hope I will find what I have been looking for at some point.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
``

it's my thinking you won't find much of anything that isn't 'filtered'
and 'homogenized' for public consumption.

one might try overseas news/data sources (BBC?)
or even the (at a price) data bank of Lexus Nexus

i'm requesting my Senator (L Graham) to assist me with "FOIA dead-ends",
maybe your Representative in your state, has this service too.

~~

I was planning on looking into overseas records at some point, just have not gotten around to it yes. and the FOIA is something I had not thought of useing. So may half to look into that at some point. I dont think I will try to go through my Rep though, the info I want really does not have a great bering on my life so dont see the need to bring them into it. May not like all to much that they do but still got to respect the position you know.

thanks a bunch for posting your ideas though

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Also, for an ATS homegrown source...here's this

Flight to 911 - The Iranian Hostage Crisis

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Also, for an ATS homegrown source...here's this

Flight to 911 - The Iranian Hostage Crisis

Valhall,
thanks for posting that link. That is a very well written artical, some good info in it. I had looking over it before. Just not what I have been looking for.

new topics

top topics

join