It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami-Causing Quake Has Astounded Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Some stunning facts about the Boxing-Day tsunami quake you probably didn´t know. I.e. it lasted for 3 hours - longer than any quake ever recorded. And it released as much energy as the United States uses in six months, the equivalent of a 100-gigaton bomb...

Tsunami-causing quake has astounded scientists

While the world has focused on the deadly tsunami it triggered, researchers have been unearthing the stunning facts behind December's Sumatra-Andaman earthquake.

It lasted longer than any quake ever recorded -- up to three hours. It ripped along more than 800 miles of fault, creating the longest known fault rupture.

Some researchers think the quake's official magnitude should be raised from 9.0 to 9.3, which would make it the second most powerful quake ever recorded on seismometers.

It released up to three times more energy than previously thought -- as much energy as the United States uses in six months, the equivalent of a 100-gigaton bomb.

Yet strangely enough, only one-third of that energy was released during the first 10 minutes of the quake, as the fault unzipped at speeds of up to 6,700 mph.

After the violent shaking stopped, the fault kept slipping, but much more slowly, sending out very long, slow seismic waves that people could not feel.

"The fault was sort of oozing along,'' said Thorne Lay, a seismologist with the University of California-Santa Cruz.

No part of the Earth was unaffected by the great quake. At every point on the globe, the ground rose and fell by at least a fraction of an inch, said Michael West, a seismologist with the Alaska Volcano Observatory in Fairbanks.

"The Sumatra earthquake is just a different kind of event,'' he said. "We're not used to dealing with earthquakes like this.''

Click the link to read the full article...

I thought I knew almost everything about this quake. Yet some of these facts about this quake are news to me. Everybody was focusing on the deadly tsunami...

Photo: AFP

Related ATS-threads:
NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead
Tsunami Video

Dae

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

the quake set the whole Earth ringing like a bell. ``It's still resonating now, after this enormous kick in the teeth,'' said Roger Bilham, a geophysicist at the University of Colorado and author of one of the reports.

Hollow Earth theory anyone?
A bit creepy that, seeing as I was reading about it the other day, the hollow earth stuff that is...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is a little late bt yeah, a 9.0 magnitude quake has to do some damage. very dangerous thing, hopefully we won't have another one anytime soon.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thats crazy! just imagine a 3 hour earthquake! that would be a long time to duck and cover!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hellmutt that is amazing -- thanks for following that so closely I am in awe of what they have learned studying this quake. I posted this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

about water level in Virgina having a 3 ft variation over a 5 hour period after the quake -- but reading that the ground rose a fraction of an inch worlwide is even more amazing to me. And that the quake lasted for 3 hours

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I even doubt that it was a natural earthquake.It was defenately a SCALAR weapon used by U.S.A or Russia or aliens.

www.indiadaily.com...

www.indiadaily.com...

[edit on 25-5-2005 by warthog911]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It was a perfectly natural earthquake, there was nothinng unreasonable aobout it.

India Daily is a joke, its a rag paper, its like 'Weekly World News" or "Worldnetdaily" or "The New York Times".

No, seriously, India daily is garbage, its not a media outlet, they have no journalistic standards, at all, in any way, they don't verify any of their information, let alone sources, they report anything, they are not a real newspaper. More than half of what they report on doesn't exist.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
It was a perfectly natural earthquake, there was nothinng unreasonable aobout it.

India Daily is a joke

Maybe so...
But for the record, I have to say that my article (the initial post in this thread) comes from "Mercury News, Kentucky" and not India Daily...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Side note

I have a stock well with a submersible pump and this well was pumping about 1 gallon / minute before the quake. Now it is pumping 3 gallons/minute. Was sandy water and now clear.

The quake reached all the way to Oklahoma.

Roper

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
And the quake might also have caused a magnetic "pole flip"

I wonder how the India Daily will present this...

Edmonton Journal: Our North loses the Pole

If the pole continues its current course, it will shoot across the top of Earth and end up in Siberia by mid-century.

But the pole's movements are difficult to forecast, since its location depends on a terrestrial magnetic field that is produced by extremely complex forces deep inside Earth. Those forces, at their simplest, drive a churning mass of molten iron that rises and falls on convective currents more than 3,000 kilometres below the planet's surface. The movement of that iron conducts and produces the magnetic field, whose poles are located fairly close, although still often thousands of kilometres away from, the geographic poles.

Curiously, the speed with which the pole moves could be related to dramatic events like the massive earthquake that caused last December's devastating tsunami. That quake was big enough to alter the shape of Earth and jar the planet into a slightly different axis of rotation. It also had enough power to jolt the molten iron that powers the magnetic field, and could be partly responsible for magnetic "jerks" that are propelling the magnetic North Pole

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Do they have any pictures of the area of the quake?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

the quake set the whole Earth ringing like a bell. ``It's still resonating now, after this enormous kick in the teeth,'' said Roger Bilham, a geophysicist at the University of Colorado and author of one of the reports.

Hollow Earth theory anyone?
A bit creepy that, seeing as I was reading about it the other day, the hollow earth stuff that is...

Sorry... not following you mate. How does this have anything to do with a hollow earth? Can you explain the reasoning behind the science that obviously led you to this conclusion?

IRM

top topics

join